PDA

View Full Version : Cesar Cielo - Court of Arbitration for Sport Details

arthur
August 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
The CAS has published their final decision on Cesar Cielo's failed doping test. The decision is pretty interesting to read:

http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/document/5094/5048/0/CAS20249520249620249720249820Award20FINAL202920072 02011.pdf

He was found at no fault or negligence. He takes a 50mg prescribed pure caffeine supplement as Cesar has gastric problems from drinking coffee. Cesar stated undisputed that 90% of swimming sprinters consume caffeine during swimming events.

His doctor had a pharmacy prepare the caffeine supplement as other caffeine supplements on the market were not pure. The doctor inspected the pharmacy multiple times and felt things were being prepared properly. Cesar's dad also happens to be the health secretary of the town of the pharmacy and recommended the pharmacy specifically. The pharmacy was preparing medicine containing Furosemide the day they also prepared the Furosemide contaminated caffeine supplement.

The PDF also states that "their urine concentrations were within the normal range and not diluted which meant that the Furosemide could not have been used as a masking agent."

The whole situation must have been a nightmare for Cesar and everyone involved.

Thrashing Slug
August 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I don't care how the man gets his caffeine. I just wish he could learn to swim for 20 seconds without crying like a baby afterwards.

knelson
August 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
He takes a 50mg prescribed pure caffeine supplement as Cesar has gastric problems from drinking coffee.

It takes guts (no pun intended) for a Brazilian to admit he can't drink coffee. :anim_coffee:

__steve__
August 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
At the end of the day he still takes a punch in the face. One thing worse than being caught doping is being innocent and accuced of doping.

Chris Stevenson
August 3rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
He was found at no fault or negligence. He takes a 50mg prescribed pure caffeine supplement as Cesar has gastric problems from drinking coffee.His doctor had a pharmacy prepare the caffeine supplement as other caffeine supplements on the market were not pure.

I can't be the only person who notices the irony in this. Cielo's successful defense against the charge of using PEDs is that the specially-prepared pill he takes solely in an effort to enhance performance was tainted with a banned substance.

I am not disputing that many -- probably most -- swimmers drink caffeinated beverages before racing. 50 mg seems equivalent to roughly a 20-oz cup of coffee. Just pointing out the slippery slope here. (Not that I think they should stop testing for PEDs.)

ourswimmer
August 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
I think 20 oz. of drip coffee would have closer to 200 mg of caffeine. A "maximum strength" NoDoz tablet (which I keep in my backpacking kit) is 200 mg. I suppose if he never uses caffeine except right before a race, 50 mg could be effective.

arthur
August 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
I think 20 oz. of drip coffee would have closer to 200 mg of caffeine. A "maximum strength" NoDoz tablet (which I keep in my backpacking kit) is 200 mg. I suppose if he never uses caffeine except right before a race, 50 mg could be effective.
In the PDF is says his doctor's research indicated that 50mg was the minimum dose and 100mg was the maximum dose appropriate according to medical literature. It also says that the lowest dose available from over the counter caffeine pills in Brazil is 250mg.

ourswimmer
August 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
It also says that the lowest dose available from over the counter caffeine pills in Brazil is 250mg.

Those Brazilians sure do know how to party! :coffee::anim_coffee::bouncing::bliss::banana:

orca1946
August 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I think any amount of our loved caffeine should be allowed.:anim_coffee:
If you drink TOO:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee ::coffee: much you will false start anyhow !!!

fritznh
August 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Too much caffeine and you'll be in the bathroom so often you'll miss your event.

Personally, I think Cesar was innocent, as he's been tested so often for so long, if he were cheating he would have been bagged a long time ago. He also doesn't look like a 'roid freak, as he isn't unnaturally muscular and he doesn't train in a manner out of proportion to other sprinters at his level. If, for example, he was swimming 20k meters, running a half marathon and lifting weights hard every day, you would be very suspicious. But he is very talented, he trains "normally" and his technique is superb -- those are reasons he's so fast.

I agree with Steve here, it must have been a nightmare to be innocent and accused of cheating.

knelson
August 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
He also doesn't look like a 'roid freak, as he isn't unnaturally muscular

I think this is outdated. You can't tell drug cheats by merely looking at them anymore.

I don't think Cesar was cheating either, but just saying...

aquageek
August 5th, 2011, 03:45 PM
He also doesn't look like a 'roid freak, as he isn't unnaturally muscular and he doesn't train in a manner out of proportion to other sprinters at his level.

You mean he doesn't look like a 5'7" 138 pound professional cyclist?

mikeh
August 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Personally, I think Cesar was innocent, as he's been tested so often for so long, if he were cheating he would have been bagged a long time ago. He also doesn't look like a 'roid freak, as he isn't unnaturally muscular and he doesn't train in a manner out of proportion to other sprinters at his level. If, for example, he was swimming 20k meters, running a half marathon and lifting weights hard every day, you would be very suspicious. But he is very talented, he trains "normally" and his technique is superb -- those are reasons he's so fast.

Even if Cesar were doping he wouldn't be training 20k a day or anything close to it. He's a sprinter, and he'd train as such whether he's taking PED's or not. Also, you can't really look at someone and tell anymore what they may be on. Not saying Cesar was cheating, just pointing out the variety of drugs available to the professional athlete make it difficult to tell.

gaash2
August 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Even if Cesar were doping he wouldn't be training 20k a day or anything close to it. He's a sprinter, and he'd train as such whether he's taking PED's or not. Also, you can't really look at someone and tell anymore what they may be on. Not saying Cesar was cheating, just pointing out the variety of drugs available to the professional athlete make it difficult to tell.

Yep. We all like to think all the top athletes in the world are clean but I've learned from following many sports including swimming that where there is smoke, even the slightest bit of it, there's fire, and half the time (if not more) even when there's no smoke, there's fire.

Plus, do not underestimate how much even "low volume" swimming interferes with muscle building etc. I suspect a vast majority of steroid users in sports actually use them for this reason; to be able to maintain or put on a modest amount of muscle while training, not to turn into the hulk.

orca1946
August 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Like Alberto Contador - over 1 year & they are still thinking about it !!!!!

SLOmmafan
August 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Ahhh :badday:; his poor little tummy can't handle a cup of coffee?

I'm sick of these athletes with an excuse for every little indiscretion. Then he hops up on the podium and does his little sob-fest after every big win. Then the class-act makes squinty-eyes trying to make a "act of solidarity" with his Chinese hosts.

I sincerely hope Adrian crushes Cielo in London!!

Spock
August 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Then the class-act makes squinty-eyes trying to make a "act of solidarity" with his Chinese hosts.

Here's the LINK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/8672664/Cesar-Cielo-in-more-hot-water-following-slit-eyed-gesture-in-China.html) to SLO's reference

That Guy
August 9th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Here's the LINK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/8672664/Cesar-Cielo-in-more-hot-water-following-slit-eyed-gesture-in-China.html) to SLO's reference

Wow, what an idiot. Between the doping, the sobbing, and now this, I can't say that I'll be rooting for Cielo in London.

knelson
August 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Wow, what an idiot.

I agree. Could he have really been so clueless to have not realized this would be offensive?

Lump
August 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM
You mean he doesn't look like a 5'7" 138 pound professional cyclist?

Exactly....and they don't take them to "get big", etc.....it the quick recovery, ability to train harder and longer they want.

gaash
August 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Exactly....and they don't take them to "get big", etc.....it the quick recovery, ability to train harder and longer they want.

Exactly. Just maintaining muscle mass for many while training like a swimmer is difficult to do naturally.