PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing USMS 5K Coney Island this weekend?

LauraAswim
August 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Just curious if any of my fellow forum-ites are doing the USMS 5K race this weekend....

Even if you're not, any advice for this course/swim area of Coney Island if you've done the Cibbows races before? Heard that they run a great race, but some currents can be challenging on some parts of their typical 5K course.

Happy Swimming!

chaos
August 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM
the course is a loop that runs parallel to the beach. it is likely that there will be some current assist in one direction, and a head current in the other direction. most swimmers can expect an extra 15 - 30 minutes than a 5k in a neutral body of water.

swimthegoodfight
August 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM
my first swim with CIBBOWS and at coney island... water temperature was great... lots of non-stinging jellies in the water... will definitely return for more CIBBOWS events.

I worked my butt off - not very fit; not properly hydrated and not the proper mindframe.

great to see chaos and clare.

i highly recommend a destination swim to NYC... either NYC Swim or CIBBOWS. Hostels can be very cheap accommodations - you won't sleep great!

mgemelli
August 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'll second that! Cibbows ran a great race. Live music, great food (ceviche was awesome), free samples from the Brooklyn Brewery all set at a great venue: the Aquarium.

This was my first race with them, but definitely not my last, I'm looking foward to their next race on 9/11/11:
http://www.cibbows.org/races/2011/

RuffWater
August 29th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It was a great swim. CIBBOWS runs a first rate event. Nice water. Kayakers and jetskis kept it safe. Excellent competition showed up. Terrific post race party. Beautiful day at the beach. I'll be back.