PDA

View Full Version : 2012 USMS Spring Nationals: Who's going?

ElaineK
August 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM
If everybody who attended Nationals at Auburn (and Mesa!) had as much fun as I did, I'm sure you are already thinking ahead to the Spring Nationals, in Greensboro, NC, April 26-29, 2012. :banana: Count me in; I'll be there!

So, Forumites, who's going to Greensboro? I'll see y'all there! :bliss:

pwb
August 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
It is likely my singular focus meet for the entirety of 2012, less than a month after I age up into the even faster 45-49 year old age group. I'm really looking forward to swimming in what looks to be a sweet swim center.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Look for a sizable contingent from the Eastern part of NC. We may not have the numbers of the big city teams, but we're tight and travel the state.

We'll have a number that have never been to nats. I'm especially excited as this will be my first nats since 1991!

Y'all come!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Staying 2 extra days here in Auburn to fine-tune my southern drawl.... Going to really need it in North Carolina!

It's no secret how much a lot of us love USMS.
Participating in the Auburn meet though with so many happy & like minded healthy swimmers, leaves me bursting with inspiration for the next season!

EVERYONE can use a little dose of sweet & charming Southern Hospitality!

See you in Greensboro :)

swimshark
August 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I would prefer to go to Omaha but we have a wedding that weekend in Oregon. So if I don't go to Omaha, I will be in Greensboro.

jaadams1
August 7th, 2011, 12:41 PM
As I would like to go, I will probably opt to skip the SCY Nats in Greensboro, and opt for a short drive north across the :canada: border for the Canadian Nationals (SCM) (http://okmasters.com/events/2012-cmsc-nationals-kelowna) in mid-May. :banana: It's a little cheaper on the pocketbook as well.

want2beafish
August 7th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I know there's somewhere that lists the order of events on some kind of rotation. Does anyone know where it would be listed for Greensboro? Definitely planning on being there as I am in the southeast, but just want to see what I need to be focusing on in terms of training. Thanks!

***nvm... found it here on page 30: http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

ElaineK
August 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
It is likely my singular focus meet for the entirety of 2012, less than a month after I age up into the even faster 45-49 year old age group. I'm really looking forward to swimming in what looks to be a sweet swim center.

Remember, I owe you a :chug: for getting closest to the correct attendance for Auburn!

tjrpatt
August 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I would like to go because I age up right before Greensboro. We will see.

Charge
August 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Want to go to Omaha and Greensboro but can't afford to do both. I HATE LC but really want to see trials. Tough choice! At least I have some time

swimshark
August 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Want to go to Omaha and Greensboro but can't afford to do both. I HATE LC but really want to see trials. Tough choice! At least I have some time

This might help your decision. Trials end and there are 3 days before our Nats start. I wish they were back-to-back because I'd like to see trials as well. Three of my teammates will be competing and I'd love to cheer them on. But I'm not spending 3 days in a hotel in between the 2.

Charge
August 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I thought it was two days between trials Nd nationals and both days there were things planned (workshops, etc). I wouldn't mind seeing the last day of trials, two days of whatever and then 4 days of nationals. To me it's two or three extra nights on a hotel. As long as I get a decent place to stay it's
No worse than my studio apt!

swimshark
August 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I thought it was two days between trials Nd nationals and both days there were things planned (workshops, etc). I wouldn't mind seeing the last day of trials, two days of whatever and then 4 days of nationals. To me it's two or three extra nights on a hotel. As long as I get a decent place to stay it's
No worse than my studio apt!

You are right, 2 full days in between. Here is a flyer that tells what will be going on http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats12/flyer.pdf Personally, I'd really like to see trials but spending 2 extra nights in a hotel is not budget-friendly. And with my husband having to take vacation days from work to stay home with our son, not vacation-friendly, either.

aquageek
August 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Well, this makes me feel a little bit better about being 44.75 in Greensboro as I don't have to compete with you again, not that it is much of a competition.

I know of at least three AG meets and one USMS meet that I will be attending there prior to the USMS National meet. So, I should have lots of inside scoop on the place to pass along.

Charge
August 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Good point swimshark

gull
August 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Look for a sizable contingent from the Eastern part of NC. We may not have the numbers of the big city teams, but we're tight and travel the state.

You do have a very nice airport, so it is possible for you and your teammates to travel outside of the state to Nationals. Just saying.

orca1946
August 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
It's a very friendly place to visit.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
You do have a very nice airport, so it is possible for you and your teammates to travel outside of the state to Nationals. Just saying.

Some of us have, and will travel again, but our newbies need a little prodding. Most of them were not aware that you could swim events without qualifying.

Come back for a visit, gull!

Lump
August 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Me....in shape this time! :applaud:

awimbish5002
August 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Since I only live an hour north, I will definitely be there.

mrubacky
August 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Count me in. Already asked for vacation in April!

gull
August 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Well, this makes me feel a little bit better about being 44.75 in Greensboro...

They grow up so fast.

So I guess this means that next fall you are finally going to enter a competitive age group.

__steve__
August 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Being just a 4 hour drive I can't pass the opportunity.

craig68
August 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I plan on being there and bringing some pals with me that haven't competed in years (decades?). But they live an hour away, so they have no excuses. I'm telling them they don't need 'to get in shape before then.' Forget that! It's fun! Between socializing, just race, and then don't look at the clock if you don't want to...

ElaineK
August 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I plan on being there and bringing some pals with me that haven't competed in years (decades?). But they live an hour away, so they have no excuses. I'm telling them they don't need 'to get in shape before then.' Forget that! It's fun! Between socializing, just race, and then don't look at the clock if you don't want to...

:applaud: Yeah, Craig! It would be great to see you again!

orca1946
August 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I will miss the wide open of Mesa in the inside pool complex!!:badday:

slowcat
August 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
http://twitter.com/USMSGreensboro

slowcat
August 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Greensboro Aquatic Center website:
http://greensboroaquaticcenter.com/

slowcat
October 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Qualifying times:

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/nqt.pdf

ElaineK
October 3rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Qualifying times:

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/nqt.pdf

Thanks for posting, Slowcat. Hopefully, I will be able to qualify for more than just one of my events, this time, now that I'm aging up to 50. :D

orca1946
October 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I don't want to be the aging boxer that should have stopped at his last fight!!!!!

Speedo
October 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I don't want to be the aging boxer that should have stopped at his last fight!!!!!There will be no shortage of aging boxers- come be one of them- we've found green pastures!

thewookiee
October 5th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I don't want to be the aging boxer that should have stopped at his last fight!!!!!

Orca, we are all aging boxers. We just don't know when to quit because we have too much fun. Go to G'boro, pick-up some southern culture to take back it IL.

jaadams1
October 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Go to G'boro, pick-up some southern culture

I heard all they talk about down there is NASCAR...true?
...or was that South Carolina?? :)

thewookiee
October 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I heard all they talk about down there is NASCAR...true?
...or was that South Carolina?? :)

Nope, thats north carolina. Unlike their ugly sista, south carolina, north carolina has a nascar event.

Carful now, james, we don't take kindly to yankees comin down here makin a fuss about our sport or way of life. Ya might find yourself runnin for yar horse before the races at the swimmin hole are done.

SwimStud
October 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Nope, thats north carolina. Unlike their ugly sista, south carolina, north carolina has a nascar event.

Carful now, james, we don't take kindly to yankees comin down here makin a fuss about our sport or way of life. Ya might find yourself runnin for yar horse before the races at the swimmin hole are done.

Wook are you going? If so I am going to buys stock in Schick and Gillette....:bump:

jaadams1
October 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM

http://okmasters.com/events/cmsc-2012 :canada:
Sory, kurently, eye hav plans to go northe fir into Canada-eh :canada:. Them thar Nashunalls arre about a for hours drive frum here. (NASCAR speeding, maybe one anda half hours) :) Cheaper is always better, and even wen it done wit less money too! :2cents:

I mite be able to come to N.C. for the USA-version of the Canada Nashunalls-eh. But I'll haveta rig up a few xtra gastanks on the Chevy, if I can get er runnin!!

orca1946
October 6th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Most realistic, I'll pick up more fried chicken & gravy if I go !!!!:D

swimshark
October 6th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Wook are you going? If so I am going to buys stock in Schick and Gillette....:bump:

Will you help him shave as well?:bolt:

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 07:38 AM

I say buy. Buy heavy. Trade the wife, house,kids, phony british accent.

swimshark
October 6th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I say buy. Buy heavy. Trade the wife, house,kids, phony british accent.

And buy garbage bags for all the left overs.

Speedo
October 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Nope, thats north carolina. Unlike their ugly sista, south carolina, north carolina has a nascar event.Psst... Darlington.

NC is just SC with makeup and air conditioning.

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Psst... Darlington.

NC is just SC with makeup and air conditioning.

Forgot about that hole in the wall. Having been through darlington, it's easy to forget, much like charlotte.

aquageek
October 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
If all this is intended to raise my ire, it's not working, especially considering it's Thursday which means Virginians are due for their weekly shower and Tennesuckfartians are due tomorrow.

swimshark
October 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
If all this is intended to raise my ire, it's not working, especially considering it's Thursday which means Virginians are due for their weekly shower and Tennesuckfartians are due tomorrow.

Wait a minute.... I took a shower 3 days ago in Virginia.

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Tennesuckfartians are due tomorrow.

Remember, u's iz one of our kin folk.

pmccoy
October 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
If all this is intended to raise my ire, it's not working, especially considering it's Thursday which means Virginians are due for their weekly shower and Tennesuckfartians are due tomorrow.That's what happens when government starts getting involved. Before you know it they are mandating weekly showers. Lucky for me Alabama has no such laws and we can keep to our monthly schedules.

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
That's what happens when government starts getting involved. Before you know it they are mandating weekly showers. Lucky for me Alabama has no such laws and we can keep to our monthly schedules.

We know. When the winds are blowing from the southwest, we can smell the entire state.

pmccoy
October 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
We know. When the winds are blowing from the southwest, we can smell the entire state.
You're welcome! We do what we can to improve the conditions of our kinfolk to the north.

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
You're welcome! We do what we can to improve the conditions of our kinfolk to the north.

Thank ya! We's appreiciate yun's kindness like you wouldn't believe

Chris Stevenson
October 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM
My prediction of nationals attendance drops with each successive post. :bolt:

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM

What's ya sayin about us southerners Chris? huh? I might have to go get my relatives and their in-laws(which are my direct relatives too) to have a talkin to ya about insultin our fine homestead

swimshark
October 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM

:applaud:

aquageek
October 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Exponentially drops for every blue bomb of forum destruction post.

But, as I'm 50% from Hambalama and 50% from Tennestink, I had to upgrade to the Old North State, home of the semi-bathed.

ElaineK
October 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Exponentially drops for every blue bomb of forum destruction post.

So, I guess this means you won't be going. :applaud:
Since I started this thread, feel free to exit at any time and not post on any of my future threads. :D

thewookiee
October 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
So, I guess this means you won't be going.

Geekity will be there, along with his barefoot youngins and wife wearing curlers in tow. When you see the him grinin through his tooth, you will be in the presence of greatness.

orca1946
October 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
WELL !!!!!!! Our state meet was just voted to be on April 19 - 22
just before S C Nationals!!! 3 days is too close to state & nationals?
What to do ??

TRYM_Swimmer
October 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
What to do ??

Is that to distract you early from the annual Cubs swoon? Escape that and pick up my running (formerly swimming) sister from Naperville on your way down!

Anyway, you have to defend your 200 fly title against the world record holder.

__steve__
October 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
What's ya sayin about us southerners Chris? huh? I might have to go get my relatives and their in-laws(which are my direct relatives too) to have a talkin to ya about insultin our fine homestead

yeah

aquajock
October 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I will miss the wide open of Mesa in the inside pool complex!!:badday:

I like to swim outside for short bouts, but I won't miss the itchy skin and peeling I experienced for more than a week after Mesa.

jroddin
October 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM
What to do ??

How about expressing your displeasure to those who voted for those dates so close to Nationals when the Nationals dates were long established? I realize pool/Host availability probably weighed heavily into their decision but I wonder if they considered having the State meet after Nationals (mid May). We typically have our summer (LCM) Zone meet after Nationals and many like the "second chance" concept.

knelson
October 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Lucky for me Alabama has no such laws and we can keep to our monthly schedules.

Do you think you can push your April shower date back to the day before Nationals starts? It would be a shame to leave a ring around that beautiful new pool.

pmccoy
October 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Do you think you can push your April shower date back to the day before Nationals starts? It would be a shame to leave a ring around that beautiful new pool.Purely racing tactics. If you're willing to jump in after I do, you deserve to win.

Sadly, it's not likely I'll be gracing the NC pool with my monthly build-up of Bama-funk. Note that before I went for a quick swim Wednesday evening at Auburn Nationals, only one record was set. Next day, 8 records fell. Coincidence? I think not.

thewookiee
October 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Purely racing tactics. If you're willing to jump in after I do, you deserve to win.

Sadly, it's not likely I'll be gracing the NC pool with my monthly build-up of Bama-funk. Note that before I went for a quick swim Wednesday evening at Auburn Nationals, only one record was set. Next day, 8 records fell. Coincidence? I think not.

Alabamians are the reason that nose clips were invented in the first place.

coachnewman17
October 14th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I think I am not gonna be back from deployment then. I am currently in Afghanistan and will be back April/May time frame. However, maybe the LCM I will compete. Won't do as good as I want to but I need to start getting times for World Masters in '13. Then my goal is top 10's.

pmccoy
October 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Alabamians are the reason that nose clips were invented in the first place.And Tennesseeans are the reason Hazmat suits were invented.

waterman
October 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM
i believe there is a rule about scheduling state meets that soon before nationals....

swimmieAvsFan
October 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
i believe there is a rule about scheduling state meets that soon before nationals....

It's not technically a rule. It's a recommendation that LMSCs/States/Zones not schedule their season ending meets within a (or is it 2) week prior to nationals. And it might only pertain to zones.

If I remember correctly, it's in part 5 of the rule book if anyone wants to see the actual language.

thewookiee
October 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
It's not technically a rule. It's a recommendation that LMSCs/States/Zones not schedule their season ending meets within a (or is it 2) week prior to nationals. And it might only pertain to zones.

If I remember correctly, it's in part 5 of the rule book if anyone wants to see the actual language.

502.9 LMSC Championship Meets
Each LMSC may conduct championship meets, but pool meets identified as such should
not be scheduled beginning the weekend before, through and including the weekend
following the USMS short course and long course national championship meets

knelson
October 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I can see both sides to this issue. Yes, the Nationals dates are established well in advance, but on the other hand why should the LMSCs be beholden to Nationals dates? Lots of LMSCs probably conduct their championship meets at very close to the same date every year.

swimmieAvsFan
October 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
502.9 LMSC Championship Meets
Each LMSC may conduct championship meets, but pool meets identified as such should not be scheduled beginning the weekend before, through and including the weekend following the USMS short course and long course national championship meets

Okay, if there's one specifically mentioning LMSCs, there has to be a zone one too. Dunno about states, but regardless, the rule uses "should not be" which makes it a recommendation, not a rule (unless "should" and "must" are defined as equivalent terms somewhere in the rule book).

Chris Stevenson
October 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
why should the LMSCs be beholden to Nationals dates?

Maybe self-interest. Wouldn't you want to maximize your potential pool of participants?

knelson
October 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Maybe self-interest. Wouldn't you want to maximize your potential pool of participants?

Yes, I certainly would, but I'm not sure if that trumps putting the meet on a different weekend. I don't know the IM schedule. Maybe they have another meet that would be affected if the IM State meet were moved up? Maybe facility availability is a problem?

thewookiee
October 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Okay, if there's one specifically mentioning LMSCs, there has to be a zone one too. Dunno about states, but regardless, the rule uses "should not be" which makes it a recommendation, not a rule (unless "should" and "must" are defined as equivalent terms somewhere in the rule book).

Don't get snappy with me. I posted the rule that was on the usms website. I didn't make them, just copied what I found. If you don't like the rule, take it up with the championship rules committee or whoever makes them.

swimmieAvsFan
October 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Don't get snappy with me. I posted the rule that was on the usms website. I didn't make them, just copied what I found. If you don't like the rule, take it up with the championship rules committee or whoever makes them.

Wow, who woke up on the wrong side of the bed today?

All I was saying is that if it was explicitly defined for an LMSC, that it would make sense that there is an equivalent one for zones.

And I was simply mentioning to whoever the previous poster that brought up this "rule" was that "should" being present meant it was only a recommendation. No judgement on its worth as a rule or recommendation implied.

waterman
October 17th, 2011, 02:55 PM
evidently the same applies to zones as to lmsc championship meets...page 85, i believe........

ande
March 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
2012 USMS SCY Spring Nationals (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/)
Greensboro, NC
April 26-29, 2012

Psych Sheet (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/heats/)

Order of Events (http://www.usms.org/comp/meetevents.php?MeetID=20120426SCNATSY)

Meet Info (http://www.usms.org/content/scnats12meetinfo)

Meet Roster (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/heats/roster.php)

Team Roster (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/heats/teamroster.php)

Greensboro Aquatic Center (GAC) (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com/)

ElaineK
March 28th, 2012, 01:56 PM
2012 USMS SCY Spring Nationals (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/)
Greensboro, NC
April 26-29, 2012

Psych Sheet (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/heats/)

Order of Events (http://www.usms.org/comp/meetevents.php?MeetID=20120426SCNATSY)

Meet Info (http://www.usms.org/content/scnats12meetinfo)

Meet Roster (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/heats/roster.php)

Team Roster (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/heats/teamroster.php)

Greensboro Aquatic Center (GAC) (http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com/)

Ande Rasmussen- NOT going :badday:
Lance Armstrong- NOT going :badday:
Cullen Jones- Going! :D He will be swimming the 50fr- that's it!