PDA

View Full Version : Relay help desperately needed please

couldbebetterfly
August 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM
We have a very important meet coming up this weekend, and somehow, me not being a sprinter and all I have got myself on a couple of relay teams. It is the big end of season meet followed by the team social, so I need to put up my best efforts in front of the age groupers and their coaches.

Anyway I'd appreciate some advice on takeovers and how to blast a 25yd length.

The events I am swimming are the backwards (feet first) relay and the beach-ball relay. Thanks! :D :chug:

pmccoy
August 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
The events I am swimming are the backwards (feet first) relay and the beach-ball relay. Thanks! :D :chug:
We did a few backwards 100 IMs one day. Awkward doesn't even come close to describing it. People just weren't designed to swim feet first. If you want to have a lot of fun and get a lot of laughs, don't practice... and kick hard :).

nkfrench
August 10th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Feet-first overhead sculling on the back can be pretty fast. Use your whole arms not just the hand, emphasize frequency not amplitude. Be very streamlined and balanced in the water. It helps if your legs float, your toes need to be at the water surface and pointed. If you're not used to it, your deltoids will burn.

Is beach ball relay like water polo ?

swimshark
August 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Feet-first overhead sculling on the back can be pretty fast. Use your whole arms not just the hand, emphasize frequency not amplitude. Be very streamlined and balanced in the water. It helps if your legs float, your toes need to be at the water surface and pointed. If you're not used to it, your deltoids will burn.

Is beach ball relay like water polo ?

I agree. I can go pretty fast feet first over head sculling. Just make sure your chest is up high. There is also feet first with your hands near your hips sculling, too.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I agree. I can go pretty fast feet first over head sculling. Just make sure your chest is up high. There is also feet first with your hands near your hips sculling, too.

Breaststrokers, such as myself, LOVE feet first. We definitely choose on the back, with the head back (your feet will find the wall), sculling like crazy.

Did a Long Course workout with a Raleigh group several years ago, and was one of the few who did not object to the feet first drill part of the workout.

Allen Stark
August 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I have found that I can swim feet first doing sort of a backwards breaststroke kick(using the tops of my feet as the propulsive surface.)You might give that a try.
The purpose of doing relays like this is to look ridiculous so just go with it.

nkfrench
August 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM
It's called "Torpedo sculling".
[I didn't listen to the audio]: Synchronized Swimming Lessons : Torpedo Sculls for Synchronized Swimming - YouTube

couldbebetterfly
August 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The purpose of doing relays like this is to look ridiculous so just go with it.

ITA - and I'm sure I will manage to look suitably ridiculous!

I actually used to be pretty quick feet-first sculling with my hands by my hips, but not tried that in over 20 years....perhaps I should try it tomorrow and compare it with the torpedo scull? (As long as the coaches aren't there either lifeguarding the pool or coaching the morning kids - then I'd feel truly stupid)

So any suggestions on the beach-ball strategy? Do I try a water-polo kind of freestyle or SDK on my back holding the ball :bump:

And most importantly, which suit should I wear? bearing in mind I'll be wearing it all morning as I'm also timing the serious part of the meet. Perhaps the really neon-bright Dolfin Uglies one is appropriate? Or should I go for the 70s wallpaper look with my new Speedo Endurance (yeah it was a grab-bag:blush:)? Or maybe my Dolfin Snapdragon that I bought on a whim when ordering new suits for Smallfly? The choices are (almost) endless :D

nkfrench
August 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Any suit is fine as long as you have a bubble swim cap with chin strap and decorative flowers. :)

couldbebetterfly
August 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Any suit is fine as long as you have a bubble swim cap with chin strap and decorative flowers. :)

Arrgh! Don't have one of those and I need it on Saturday. Anyone know somewhere in North DFW that might have one in stock?