PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Nationals

knelson
August 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I guess it's not official yet, but the Championships Committee meeting minutes suggest the 2013 short course meet will be in Indy and the long course meet will be in Mission Viejo. It was nice to see that for both meets there was actually a competition, with Austin also bidding for SC and San Antonio for LC.

Indy and Mission look like good choice to me. What does everyone else think?

That Guy
August 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure about Indy, but thumbs up for Mission Viejo.

jroddin
August 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Kirk,

Thanks for reading the Minutes that were posted. Those were conference calls conducted by a sub-committee from the Championship Committee with each of the bidders. That sub-committee made recommendations to the full Championship Committee but it is up to a vote by the (full) Championship Committee to make the final selection. That vote has taken place and a press release is being worked on now. Stay tuned!

Jeff

thewookiee
August 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Thumbs up for Indy! Thumbs down for Mission Viejo. I don't think outdoor pools are good for major competitions.

knelson
August 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think outdoor pools are good for major competitions.

I know lots of people feel this way, but it's strange to me. I'd much rather swim outside.

Lump
August 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I know lots of people feel this way, but it's strange to me. I'd much rather swim outside.

Except for backstroke (especially LCM), I agree.

jroddin
August 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Thumbs up for Indy! Thumbs down for Mission Viejo. I don't think outdoor pools are good for major competitions.

Wookie just doesn't like SoCal because there aren't any deep backwoods for him to retreat at night... :D

thewookiee
August 10th, 2011, 03:28 PM

I like to PRACTICE outside but I don't like racing outside.

thewookiee
August 10th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Wookie just doesn't like SoCal because there aren't any deep backwoods for him to retreat at night... :D

Hey...don't be messin with how I like to relax after da of racin. You just don't understand how difficult it is to find a place to unload some ammo after a tough day that some freakin hippie,liberal, pita lovin,grass eatin, pot smokin sum of gun won't ruinin my day by tellin me how bad guns are for people.

JimRude
August 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM
My :2cents::

OK with Indy, even though I don't travel well and prefer to race outdoors (Mesa, Clovis, Mt Hood, etc). It's a fast pool.

Thumbs up for Mission Viejo - see above - it's close and outdoors.

scyfreestyler
August 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Mission Viejo is a thumbs up from me, in my state and outdoors.

pwb
August 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thumbs up for Indy! Double that! I haven't raced there since 1983, but trained there whenever I'm in Indy (not a lot these days). Still the best pool/facility IMHO in the US.

Thumbs down for Mission Viejo. I don't think outdoor pools are good for major competitions...I like to PRACTICE outside but I don't like racing outside.I'll reserve judgment on Mission until this weekend has passed and I've competed there again. Plus, my attendance in 2013 will all depend upon timing. I'm really hoping for a mid to late August nationals??

I'm with you Wookie on preferring to train outside and race inside.

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Double that! I haven't raced there since 1983, but trained there whenever I'm in Indy (not a lot these days). Still the best pool/facility IMHO in the US.

I'll reserve judgment on Mission until this weekend has passed and I've competed there again. Plus, my attendance in 2013 will all depend upon timing. I'm really hoping for a mid to late August nationals??

I'm with you Wookie on preferring to train outside and race inside.

I remember hearing on some Greensboro youtube clip that Indy almost got 2012 Nationals. When they had Summer Nationals in 2009, it was great. It won't be too long until we hear the 2013 Locations.

ElaineK
August 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thumbs up to Mission Viejo, because it is located 45 minutes away from where I grew up, in Long Beach. My mom is still there and my sister is in L.A., so I will get to see my family. :bliss:

Lump
August 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I think the last Senior Nats I was in (93ish) was in Mission Veijo. I also have family out that way, so that would be a fun trip!:applaud:

knelson
August 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Plus, my attendance in 2013 will all depend upon timing. I'm really hoping for a mid to late August nationals??

The proposal was August 7-11 (Wednesday through Sunday with just the 1500 on Wed.).

Doug Adamavich
August 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Two thumbs-up for Mission Viejo, I will definitely be going there. It is within driving distance from AZ and will be a great summer destination. I might stay another couple of days and hang-out on the beach, which there are plenty of in SoCal.

For those of you who haven't been there, its a great location in Orange County with rolling hills and trees. John Wayne Airport is about 20-25 minutes away and there are some good microbreweries not far away.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will be there along with a bunch of other 'zonies in August of 2013!

Kudos to MVN for bidding and winning this meet.

knelson
August 11th, 2011, 01:27 PM
For those of you who haven't been there, its a great location in Orange County with rolling hills and trees. John Wayne Airport is about 20-25 minutes away and there are some good microbreweries not far away.

And Long Beach Airport is just a little farther and served by JetBlue. The one place NOT to fly into, IMO, is LAX.

jroddin
August 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I remember hearing on some Greensboro youtube clip that Indy almost got 2012 Nationals. When they had Summer Nationals in 2009, it was great. It won't be too long until we hear the 2013 Locations.

I would like to award bonus points to Tom (tjrpatt) for apparently being the only person to carefully read my earlier post. But to be fair I may not have been clear enough in my original post. The Minutes Kirk mentions are just recommendations for 2013 Nationals from a sub-committee. It is up to the full Championship committee to select the winning bids.

Tom also gets double points for being correct that Greensboro competed with Indy for the 2012 Spring Nationals. Perhaps a winning prize should be that he will not be put in any end lanes for his events. Or better yet Tom - you can enter the 50s of all strokes at no charge. :banana:

pwb
August 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM
The proposal was August 7-11 (Wednesday through Sunday with just the 1500 on Wed.).That'll be good. I should be able to swing that.

Two thumbs-up for Mission Viejo, I will definitely be going there. It is within driving distance from AZ and will be a great summer destination. I might stay another couple of days and hang-out on the beach, which there are plenty of in SoCal.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will be there along with a bunch of other 'zonies in August of 2013!

Kudos to MVN for bidding and winning this meet.I agree. They've got a decent 8 lane 25 meter warmup diving well in addition to the 8 lane long course competition pool. My request of the MVN team is to arrange a hotel rate deal at this place -- http://www.renaissanceclubsport.com/aliso-viejo/home.do. They've got a 6 lane (I think 25 yard) lap pool at the hotel which makes it a great place to stay and do some offsite warmups about 10 minutes from the MVN site. It's an awesome hotel but often a bit pricey: stayed there on points w/my wife a couple years back when I went to a SCM meet @ MVN and staying on a reduced rate this weekend for the SPMA championships.

knelson
August 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I would like to award bonus points to Tom (tjrpatt) for apparently being the only person to carefully read my earlier post.

We read it. Just consider every post in this thread (other than yours) purely speculative.

That Guy
August 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
We read it. Just consider every post in this thread (other than yours) purely speculative.

I read it too, it just didn't seem very important. It doesn't matter to me whether Wookiee sleeps in the backwoods or the Ritz Carlton.

orca1946
August 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I did Indy in 1998 .I will do Indy if it is truly there in 13 1:banana:

swimike
August 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Indy for scy nationals is a great idea. Not so psyched for MV http://forums.usms.org/images/smilies/censor.gif. Too hot and muggy in OC during August. Mornings are usually nice due to the coastal fog, but after noon, it starts to get too hot. I'll still be there. Bring lots of sunscreen and drink tons of fluids!

pwb
August 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Indy for scy nationals is a great idea. Not so psyched for MV http://forums.usms.org/images/smilies/censor.gif. Too hot and muggy in OC during August. Mornings are usually nice due to the coastal fog, but after noon, it starts to get too hot. I'll still be there. Bring lots of sunscreen and drink tons of fluids!I was just out @ MV for the Zone meet and the weather was awesome, even a bit too chilly in the morning. Plus, there's good shade, lots of grass and decent amount of warmup space @ MV.

jroddin
August 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM
It's official! Here is the USMS news release:

http://www.usms.org/news/newsitem.php?n=69

I know the suspense was overwhelming...:D

Jeff

PS. Psych sheets for both meets are not yet available so please stop asking for them...:banana:

That Guy
August 18th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Jeff

PS. Psych sheets for both meets are not yet available so please stop asking for them...:banana: Asking for 2013 psych sheets? Pfffft. I only ask for psych sheets for meets that haven't been announced yet. Or bid on yet. And that probably won't ever exist. So where is the psych sheet for the Mid-North Pacific Long Course Yards Zone 2019 Invitational?!?!?

MPohlmann
August 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM
The news release gives the dates for Spring Nationals 2013, but not Summer Nationals. Previous post said August 7-11. Are those the dates?

jroddin
August 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
The news release gives the dates for Spring Nationals 2013, but not Summer Nationals. Previous post said August 7-11. Are those the dates?

You are too quick! We are aware the dates were missing and the update to the release is supposed to happen any minute. Most likely by the time this post is read. But yes, Aug 7-11 are the MV dates.

knelson
August 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Asking for 2013 psych sheets? Pfffft. I only ask for psych sheets for meets that haven't been announced yet.

By the way, congratulations on your new world record in the 200 fly set at the 2015 Asia-Pacific Masters Challenge. I didn't think you could take down that Taiwanese swimmer but your last 25 meters was incredible!

That Guy
August 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM
By the way, congratulations on your new world record in the 200 fly set at the 2015 Asia-Pacific Masters Challenge. I didn't think you could take down that Taiwanese swimmer but your last 25 meters was incredible!
Thanks! It's strange but I don't even remember that race... :dunno:

Allen Stark
August 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks! It's strange but I don't even remember that race... :dunno:
I was there thanks to my Type 40 TARDIS.You were amazing.I thought he had you til you split 22.34 for that last 50 M.Amazing.Kirk was right,in that last 25 M when the water started boiling in your wake even the announcers were speechless.

swimmieAvsFan
August 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I was there thanks to my Type 40 TARDIS...

:applaud:

That Guy
August 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I was there thanks to my Type 40 TARDIS.You were amazing.I thought he had you til you split 22.34 for that last 50 M.Amazing.Kirk was right,in that last 25 M when the water started boiling in your wake even the announcers were speechless.
this is good info. I'd better get cracking with the :roids: since I've only got 4 years to bulk up. how do I manage to boil the pool? By providing a urine sample during the race? Honestly it DOES sound like something I would do...

knelson
August 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM
how do I manage to boil the pool?

Sorry, but we're not allowed to tell you. Allen may have said too much already.

orca1946
September 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
How do you think I won at Nationals ?!?!:D

aquageek
September 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
PS. Psych sheets for both meets are not yet available so please stop asking for them...:banana:

The sprinters are already complaining about the order of events, FYI.

orca1946
September 2nd, 2011, 11:47 PM
Sprinters always complain in all sports that have sprints ! I watch all 3 bike tour races & the sprinters always bit@h about somebody when they don't win at the line !!:bitching::blah:

orca1946
October 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Some members of our team are already thinking of 2013 Nats! This is really planning ahead!

ElaineK
October 30th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Some members of our team are already thinking of 2013 Nats! This is really planning ahead!

Hey, I'm already planning on 2014 Worlds! I'm trying to talk it up with my GAJA team to get a group to head up to Montreal. If nobody else goes, I'm still going, regardless! :bliss:

thewookiee
October 30th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Jeff

Jeff,

Where are the pysche sheets? Why don't you have them finished by now? I want to see if USMS really let "That Guy" swim in the his own special division.
Rumor has it that he got tired of being drubbed by the likes of Kirk, James, Allen, Geek, Fortress, Julie R., Blue Muppet. After all the beatings, he apparently wants his own classification, that no one else is allowed to compete in.

jaadams1
October 30th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Jeff,

Where are the pysche sheets? Why don't you have them finished by now? I want to see if USMS really let "That Guy" swim in the his own special division.
Rumor has it that he got tired of being drubbed by the likes of Kirk, James, Allen, Geek, Fortress, Julie R., Blue Muppet. After all the beatings, he apparently wants his own classification, that no one else is allowed to compete in.

No comment... (but very funny :rofl:)

That Guy
October 30th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Where are the pysche sheets? I'm not allowed to tell you.
Why don't you have them finished by now? They're done. Jeff has shared them with everyone except you.
I want to see if USMS really let "That Guy" swim in the his own special division. Rumor has it that he got tired of being drubbed by the likes of Kirk, James, Allen, Geek, Fortress, Julie R., Blue Muppet. After all the beatings, he apparently wants his own classification, that no one else is allowed to compete in. I do not comment or rumors or speculation.

orca1946
October 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
AAHH ! Secret psych sheet! How novel! How about secret results!!!:D