PDA

View Full Version : Rich Abrahams- Masters Swimming Hall of Fame

Robert Strand
August 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Right now can you name anyone more deserving? The times he has put up over the years are fantastic and his performance at the Atlanta SC Nats 2010 was one of the greatest ever also going in is the "great" Jeff Farrell. I wish I could be at the induction but can't make it this year. Congrats again to both of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orca1946
August 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
As a swimmer in his age group , I will vote for him. His times have been at the top for so long , it's hard to think of someone else in that age group that wins at nats! By the way, he shook my hand & told me to have a good race just before winning the 200 fly at Mesa nats on 2011. I think that this gave me the something extra I needed that day. Thanx Rich !!:applaud::applaud:

Allen Stark
August 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM
YES,It should have happened long ago.:cheerleader::cheerleader:

TRYM_Swimmer
August 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Well deserved! I first saw him swim in about 1965 and have never forgotten the experience.

knelson
August 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Here's proof that Rich has been fast for a long time! This is from the results of the 1965 Michigan High School state meet held at MSU. Check out who shares the pool record in the 50 free!

TRYM_Swimmer
August 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Here's proof that Rich has been fast for a long time! This is from the results of the 1965 Michigan High School state meet held at MSU. Check out who shares the pool record in the 50 free!

That's great! I swam with Bill Groft at York PA YMCA. One of his accomplishments was breaking the Middle Atlantic Region Senior 50 yd. Free record as a HS Soph. The former record-holder (for about 30 years!): Johnny Weissmuller. You can guess the headline in the local paper.

knelson
August 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM
You can guess the headline in the local paper.

I think I can. How was Groft's Tarzan yell? :)

joseferraz
August 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Right now can you name anyone more deserving? The times he has put up over the years are fantastic and his performance at the Atlanta SC Nats 2010 was one of the greatest ever also going in is the "great" Jeff Farrell. I wish I could be at the induction but can't make it this year. Congrats again to both of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Rich.

ElaineK
August 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Rich, I already told you this in a PM when I heard the news, but, what the heck... CONGRATULATIONS! :applaud:

Cheers!
:chug:

pwolf66
August 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'm sure somewhere there is a Masters swimmer who might be more deserving but I can't come up with one. A great swimmer and a very, very, very classy guy. Congratulations, Rich!!!!!!

:bow: :bliss: :cheerleader:

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Robert and all -

This is GREAT!

If you enjoy honoring our masters swimmers with ISHOF inductions, continue to support the nominations.

There are individuals who do not feel "masters swimmers" are worthy of the honor.

It is up to the numbers.
If you care - be vocal.

Considering how many of us love & appreciate Rich, this should be a HUGE thread!

Spock
August 12th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Rich and Jeff ... both amazing talents and always a pleasure to see on the pool deck. Congrats

Frank Thompson
August 12th, 2011, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=pwolf66;250273]I'm sure somewhere there is a Masters swimmer who might be more deserving but I can't come up with one. A great swimmer and a very, very, very classy guy. Congratulations, Rich!!!!!!

The International Masters Hall of Fame have very excellent selection criteria for honoree selection.

http://www.ishof.org/awards/INTLMASTERS.html

http://www.ishof.org/masterscriteria.html

With that being said, I think that both Jeff and Rich are very deserving for there induction into the IMSOF. Rich is one of those swimmers that I just knew would get inducted after seeing him swim all these years.

Jeff has already been inducted into the ISHOF for his accomplishments in Swimming and to be inducted again as a Masters Swimmer is a very impressive honor.

I always wonder if these two swimmers ever competed against each other back in the day? With 8 years separating them it might be unlikely. Steve Clark bridges the gap between these two swimmers because he swam against both of them back in the day.

I am very appreciative of the ISHOF for making the banquet ceremony free of charge to all USMS delegates at the Convention in Jacksonville. A very proud USMS masters swimmer made a very generous donation for this to be possible and for this I thank him.

Last year I attended the ISHOF banquet ceremony for the first time and it was definitely one of the high points for me at the convention. To me it is easily the equal to the Saturday evening USAS Awards banquet. The thing that interested me is the video highlight of the life in swimming of the award nominees.

I look forward to seeing this of Rich, Jeff, and all of the other award recipients when I attend this year.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=pwolf66;250273]
I am very appreciative of the ISHOF for making the banquet ceremony free of charge to all USMS delegates at the Convention in Jacksonville. A very proud USMS masters swimmer made a very generous donation for this to be possible and for this I thank him.

Last year I attended the ISHOF banquet ceremony for the first time and it was definitely one of the high points for me at the convention. To me it is easily the equal to the Saturday evening USAS Awards banquet. The thing that interested me is the video highlight of the life in swimming of the award nominees.
I look forward to seeing this of Rich, Jeff, and all of the other award recipients when I attend this year.

I couldn't agree more with you Skip. Last year's ceremony was FABULOUS!
Each athlete's career presentation and acceptance speech brought forward
so many thrilling moments and pride in our sport.

And, it is an International Awards Ceremony. The athletes were present from all over the world! So cool - really a very special evening.

(this is a photo I took last year when Richard Burns was inducted joined following by his buddies & coach)

orca1946
August 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe Rich has some other swimmers in mind that he feels are close to his level to be honored.