PDA

View Full Version : RIP my friend

Lump
August 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
So I received a shocking message this morning that my old college roommate, a fellow swimmer, passed away during a triathlon in Colorado a few days ago. Apparently he had a heart condition (I don't know all the details yet) and is the second teammate of mine to go like that at a young age. He was 40, a husband and father of twin boys, a NCAA All-Americans, our team Captain our Senior year together (we were the only two Seniors), in great shape (an ultra-marathoner), and just an all around great human being. We lived together for 3 years at S. Carolina and had just been in contact about our Alumni gathering coming up. We hadn't seen each other in probably 15 years.

Anyway, I'm a bit busted up and depressed about the whole thing. You just ALWAYS hate hearing stories like this. It really scares the crap out of me too as I have high BP (controlled with prescription) and have had some weird heart stuff going on.

Anyways, I hope it makes you cherish friends and family that much more and know that we never know how much time we have. Live everyday as your last!

RIP Pete Cadwell

jethro
August 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM
My sincerest condolences for your loss.

swoomer
August 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM
That is such sad news. You're very young to lose your friends, and it's very difficult. Be strong.

Allen Stark
August 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM
My sincerest condolences for your loss.
Yes,I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy.

That Guy
August 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Jeff. It sounds like he was a great person.

swimshark
August 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Jeff, I'm so sorry for your loss and for his family as well.

Lump
August 11th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone. It was due to a heart condition he was seeing a doctor about but had been cleared (to what extent of exercise I don't know) to exercise. He will be missed.:badday:

moodyrichardson
August 11th, 2011, 10:37 PM
So sorry to hear about your friend's passing. He, you and your families will be in my prayers.

Bobinator
August 11th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm so sorry about your friend Lump. I hate to hear about situations like this.
Take care.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Jeff - I am so very sorry to read about your friend Pete...yet another one of our swimming family lost.

Everyone in the water swimming... please watch out for each other.

YOU in the water - next to and closest to our swimming family members - YOU are the very FIRST RESPONDERS!
Even before life-guards, the firemen, the paramedics, and a coach.

Be conscious of each other.
Be aware of each other.

The very best thing about masters swimming is SAFETY IN NUMBERS

Jimbosback
August 11th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Terrible tragedy. Sorry for your loss.

jaadams1
August 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Wow...so sorry about that.

nhc
August 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM
That is so sad. So sorry for you and his family. How hard it must be.

I've read that many (perhaps most) such fatalities during open water swimming or triathlons were the result of heart conditions that the victims were unaware of. If you know you have certain heart condition, you are in a better position to prevent it. Please take care.

pwb
August 12th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Wow. I'm so sorry for you. I've not yet lost a close friend my age so I can't imagine what you're going through. Based upon the messages here, you've at least got a virtual community behind you.

ElaineK
August 12th, 2011, 03:09 AM
:bighug: I'm so sorry, Jeff. How sad!

want2beafish
August 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM
So sorry for your loss, Jeff. Prayers also for his family. What a tragedy.

Speedo
August 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Jeff, I'm really sorry about Pete. Your post did make me realize I've been lucky in this respect, and I'll be calling a few folks that I've lost touch with. Stay strong.

pmccoy
August 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Sorry for your loss. My best friend growing up passed away at age 35. Blood clot from surgery went to his brain. We had lost touch since high school but it has been one of the hardest deaths I've had to deal with.

Frank Thompson
August 12th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Jeff:

I am sorry for your loss. This makes me think that every day we swim we should be thankful for the gift of life. Sometimes we take things for granted and something like this grounds us to reality.

TRYM_Swimmer
August 12th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Really sorry, Jeff! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

tjburk
August 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Jeff, will be praying for his family and you and yours...Sorry to hear about this.

philoswimmer
August 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Very sorry to hear about this. My thoughts are with you.

taruky
August 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hear about that. These things are a double whammy because you are not only sad that your friend is gone but you think about your own mortality. My father in law, whom I loved dearly, died a couple weeks ago. He was 71, but extremely health conscious his whole life, Organic this, organic that, early to bed, early to rise, ate just enough so he wasn't hungry, thin, great cholesterol:HDL ratio, never smoked or drank, I could go on and on. He would have passed a stress test with flying colors. But you get that small plaque that ruptures, forms a clot, and...

We all hope to have some impact on our health or our age of death, and to a large extent we do. But it's scary to know that our efforts can be all for naught. I always wonder if people who intentionally do things to harm themselves (like people who are perfectly happy smoking) figure there is no point trying because what will be will be.

There is an Arab saying (according to my dad); live each day like it is your last, but also live each day like you will live forever.

__steve__
August 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
But it's scary to know that our efforts can be all for naught.

These efforts actually make each day we have, whether few or plentiful, that much more pleasant and enjoyable. I do enjoy a glass or two or three of wine often though, but I think of that as something not to avoid.

Sorry to hear about your friend Lump. Keep swimming fast:)

orca1946
August 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
He wil be in my prayers. Let us all live , love & swim till an old age!!:applaud:

Lump
August 13th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks again everyone! I never met his wife or children, but through Facebook I've now connected with his wife and shared my thoughts with her. She is grateful for all his friends and all the good things people have had to say and its really getting her through.

We have our S. Carolina Swimming & Diving Alumni gathering Sept 30 (for Auburn Football weekend) in Columbia and will be doing something to remember Pete. It will be recorded and also shared with his family. Hopefully we this situation into a positive and become closer as teammates and family.