PDA

View Full Version : Big Shoulders - Chicago sept 10th

orca1946
August 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know how far the finish line is from the water? I am just rehabing from hip surgery & can;t run/ walk far?
I have been in some Chi tris that made us run 1/2 mile to the bike transition !!!!

heidi k
August 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM
It's not far. Maybe 25 yards at the most? It will depend on the water level on race day. If you walk you will not lose significant time to those who run. When the water gets shallow, you could keep swimming with a shortened stroke rather than standing. I've twisted my ankle running to the finish line, so being cautious is smart.

fatboy
August 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
OZ, It is about 25 -30 yds. I'm sure you can arrange something with the meet officials for someone to help you or to have a cane available. Why don't you email BigShoulders2011@yahoo.com and see if they have some ideas?

orca1946
August 17th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Thanx Heidi & frank. I'm just 16 days out of hip :cane:surgery:badday: & am concerned about the land distance. The 25+ :bolt:yards seems doable for me by Sept. 10th.

srcoyote
August 17th, 2011, 08:06 AM
They've given you a good conservative estimate. I did that run / limp out of the water the last three years. The first year I did it on a severely sprained ankle. I hobbled, but it was do-able.

knelson
August 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I agree with the others that's it somewhere on the order of 25 yards or so. I'm sure you'll be fine if you take it easy. I've seen quite a few face plants from swimmers exiting the water, so definitely be careful!

orca1946
August 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM
The Doc said NO FULL :cane:weight on the leg/hip for 6 weeks , that is 42 days. Let's see , Aug 1st till sept 10th is --- carry the 1 times pi , in the C S T zone --- is 41. This is close !!! :worms:

fatboy
August 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Oz,
Bring your cane and have some have it ready on the beach.

orca1946
August 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Do they have a division for canes ??:cane::cane::cane:

Are we still going to car pool - you ,paul & me.

Who's car ?

Gtsiang
August 23rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
It's only about 25 yards, but it might be hard to manage because it's up the sandy beach. It's not clear that a cane will help at all on soft dry sand. I would send an email to the organizers.

knelson
August 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
How's the water temp been in Lake Michigan this summer so far?

Atlantic
August 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
They just posted (on Facebook) that it's 78.

knelson
August 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
That's close to being too warm. I hope it goes down a little before the race.

Chicken of the Sea
August 23rd, 2011, 04:01 PM

Pool temperature for at least a few weeks now. Yuk. I think we've got a couple of days of SW winds coming up, though, that'll hopefully turn it over

pwb
August 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
They just posted (on Facebook) that it's 78.

That's close to being too warm. I hope it goes down a little before the race.
Kirk, the gods are punishing you for abandoning the west coast. You should've come back to La Jolla this year.

Of course, you could add the Daily Double on Sunday and make it a Weekend Warrior Triple if you just fly over to San Diego on Saturday night after Big Shoulders.

knelson
August 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Of course, you could add the Daily Double on Sunday and make it a Weekend Warrior Triple if you just fly over to San Diego on Saturday night after Big Shoulders.

You're the one who needs to do this sometime. I'm sure you've got the frequent flier miles for it!

orca1946
August 23rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
This is Chicago, the weather can change from morning:) to afternoon !:badday:

pwb
August 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
You're the one who needs to do this sometime. I'm sure you've got the frequent flier miles for it!It's on my bucket list. First I have to just come out and do Big Shoulders, but LJRWS has become a family tradition now for my girls and I so probably not any time soon :(

orca1946
August 26th, 2011, 12:25 AM
As long as the weather stays nice , we should have a great race that day.

orca1946
August 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I am doing good , I guess, getting ready for the swim. @ more weeks on crutches & 1 5/8 weeks to the swim date .

orca1946
September 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Is there a map or description of the swim route we do next Sun?

Bobinator
September 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
There's usually a map on their website Orca.
The course is a big triangle, you do it twice for the 5K.
To site the finish just look for the cool hi-rise condo building which is behind the finish. It's a very easy course to navigate. There's plenty of people. I usually lift my head minimally and sight off the splashes in front of me.

fatboy
September 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Here's a link to the map on the Big Shoulers site.

http://www.bigshoulders.org/SwimmerStuff/index.htm

orca1946
September 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Thanx Frank. It sounds as if we need to bring a duffle bag of stuff with us. Is there place to store our bags when we are swimming?

Atlantic
September 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Thanx Frank. It sounds as if we need to bring a duffle bag of stuff with us. Is there place to store our bags when we are swimming?

They are going to have some type of gear check.

Can't wait for the swim!

:bliss:

orca1946
September 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I am concerned about the water temp on sat!!
I am in the no wetsuit race & am wondering if this was a wise choice?

Atlantic
September 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I am concerned about the water temp on sat!!
I am in the no wetsuit race & am wondering if this was a wise choice?

I swam last year without a wetsuit and it was 63 (it was my first cold water race). That was unbelievably chilly, but after 5 minutes I felt a lot better. Many of my friends swam without a wetsuit as well.... and we're back for more this year.

One friend of mine is very lean and gets cold quickly, he will be swimming the 5K with a wetsuit.

However, if the temp holds at 70, it's going to be a nice swim for everyone.

knelson
September 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM
They are going to have some type of gear check.

Most people tend to just leave their bags or backpacks sitting on the concrete steps/bleachers behind the beach, though. There are always plenty of people around even when the swimmers are in the water and I've never heard of anyone getting ripped off. That said, it's probably best to leave your Rolex at home!

With 1,000 swimmers this year things are going to be a little crowded before the race starts. Make sure to get to the beach early. The check in lines will be long.

This will be my seventh time swimming Big Shoulders. Hopefully it's lucky seven!

orca1946
September 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
OH!!! I just looked a t the water temp. again - it's down to 68 :badday:

Atlantic
September 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
OH!!! I just looked a t the water temp. again - it's down to 68 :badday:

It's gonna be ok! It's such a fun race and the huge crowd of 1000 swimmers will get you pumped up!
Just get yourself mentally prepared for cold water. That way, if it warms up on race day you can:banana:!

orca1946
September 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanx for the pump up comments! I'm not as young as I once was as a kid running into the water :chillpill:off the sand dunes of Michigan city ind.

orca1946
September 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Well, it did not warm up on race day. At the start it was 64 in the water.
I adjusted ok with in the first 500 yds. & did ok for the rest of the swim.
Oh yeah, I won my no wetsuit age group division of 65+:applaud::banana:

Bobinator
September 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Great job Orca!! Congratulations!

knelson
September 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Fun race, as usual. The water temp didn't seem that bad for whatever reason. I had a good swim, too. Ended up 7th overall for the 5K (no wetsuit). Several of my former college teammates also swam this year so it was fun to catch up with all of them. I also introduced myself to Oz at the results table. Nice to meet you, Oz!

Atlantic
September 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Well, it did not warm up on race day. At the start it was 64 in the water.
I adjusted ok with in the first 500 yds. & did ok for the rest of the swim.
Oh yeah, I won my no wetsuit age group division of 65+:applaud::banana:

WOW CONGRATULATIONS! I bet you'll be going back next year! :D

The water was chilly but GORGEOUS! After the turn at the first buoy, the lake/skyscraper view was spectacular! Can't wait for next year!

Congrats to everyone who swam - that's one heck of a race.

orca1946
September 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM
How much faster,do all of think, a wet suit makes you??

knelson
September 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Minutes faster.

orca1946
September 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM
And ,Kirk, I still don't have my Nikon back from the really poor service dept. 6 weeks without my cool pix P500 in for repairs after 4 months of ownership & still they are waiting for parts?? Yeah !! right ???:censor::censor: