PDA

View Full Version : Gold Medal Sponsor meals

Allen Stark
August 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I posted this on the Nationals forum where no one commented on it.Since more people view this forum I thought I'd start it here.
The Gold Medal Sponsorship is a good deal for the participants and the meet staff,but some are much better than others.Rather than complain about any particular meet I think we should have some guidelines for the food so I am encouraging suggestions.Here are mine:
Don't have a big break between breakfast and lunch,when we eat depends on when we swim so we should always have options.
Don't put cheese on everything,some of us are lactose intolerant.
Have variety ,lots of people have other dietary restrictions,always having a plate of cold cuts and cheese as well as PB&J available would be great when the main course is not appealing for what ever reason.
Never ever run out of fruit,especially bananas.

swoomer
August 16th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Amen! That was my only sort of negative feedback for Auburn. We don't need a heavy meal at lunch. I like the idea of lighter, more flexible foods, and your suggestions are spot on. I'm going to give it one more try at short course nationals.

Paul Smith
August 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Allen, good suggestions....however keep in mind that Gold Medal also feeds all of the officials, sponsors, a fair number of the volunteers and VIP's which ends up being an incredibly diverse group of people! My suggestion is start a poll if the next meet host doesn't and forward suggestions to the meet director well in advance!

By the way...most people don't realize that for many hosts this is one of the single biggest expenses and almost always loses money. So one favor to ask of some of the swimmers...stop passing your pass to your buddies so they can get in and score some free food!

hnatkin
August 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I wholeheartedly agree and this was the feedback I gave in the Auburn survey - lighter lunches, vegetarian options (we had none on Thurs or Sat), fruit, and availability throughout the entire meet. I like to eat small snacks and it completely depends on when I am scheduled to swim, not at all on regular lunchtime hours.

Peter Cruise
August 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I just watched a piece on some state fair this year (I think Iowa) where the new featured
food is (a la corn dogs) deep-fried butter on a stick. There seem to be regional differences in acceptable cuisine. I can't see that flying in the Pacific Northwest...

orca1946
August 17th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Since it's not only for the swimmers ,do the best you can. Most of us swimmers bring some of our fav food that sits well with us to meets anyhow.

want2beafish
August 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I wholeheartedly agree and this was the feedback I gave in the Auburn survey - lighter lunches, vegetarian options (we had none on Thurs or Sat), fruit, and availability throughout the entire meet. I like to eat small snacks and it completely depends on when I am scheduled to swim, not at all on regular lunchtime hours.

Completely agree with you, Heidi. It's tough to please everyone, but these small additions would definitely help. Yogurt, fruit, string cheese... this all would be great.

Since it's not only for the swimmers ,do the best you can. Most of us swimmers bring some of our fav food that sits well with us to meets anyhow.

I understand this, but the swimmers did pay $75 for the Gold Medal sponsorship. I pretty much consider it a donation to USMS, but it would nice to be able to pick up a banana or a yogurt at any time during the meet.

swimshark
August 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I just watched a piece on some state fair this year (I think Iowa) where the new featured
food is (a la corn dogs) deep-fried butter on a stick. There seem to be regional differences in acceptable cuisine. I can't see that flying in the Pacific Northwest...

At the county fair near my former house in Oregon they had deep fried foods. Butter may have been included. It's all over the country now.

Michael Heather
August 20th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Championship committee is going to take this up in the very near future. They will likely set some minimum standards for the hosts.

guppy
August 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM
And please try not to run out of food or close up shop till the last event or close to it.