PDA

View Full Version : Allen Stark on Swimming World Morning Show!

ElaineK
August 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Congratulations, again, to King Frog on his world record swim at Auburn Nationals! :applaud:

Swimming World interviewed Allen, this morning, about his race. If you didn't see the race, I took this video:
http://youtu.be/Sb0qr4BTMl0 (http://youtu.be/Sb0qr4BTMl0)

The interview is well worth listening to, as Allen, a psychiatrist, shares excellent tips on the mental aspects of racing.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...Show/27896.asp

Way to go, King Frog! :cheerleader:

That Guy
August 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Way to go Allen!

couldbebetterfly
August 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
:applaud:

Another great interview from a forumite! I loved the part about getting psyched-up rather than psyched-out.

Even Elaine got a mention for her video

Allen Stark
August 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thank all of you.It was fun and I feel very honored.I hope some of you found the content interesting.

orca1946
August 17th, 2011, 12:18 AM
When does Elaine get on T V ???

ElaineK
August 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM
When does Elaine get on T V ???

I didn't hear my name mentioned; I must have missed it. But, the only way I figure I will ever get interviewed on the morning show is if I break records by outliving my competition and being the only one in my age group left! :bolt:

I think they should interview Anne Dunivin, my 95 year old teammate who swam at Nationals. She is truly an inspiration and has a great attitude keeping her young! :applaud:

The Fortress
August 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thank all of you.It was fun and I feel very honored.I hope some of you found the content interesting.

Nice interview, Allen. I liked the eraser metaphor.

But what do you think accounts for you swimming your fastest time in 15 years? Especially with no suit!

Allen Stark
August 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Nice interview, Allen. I liked the eraser metaphor.

But what do you think accounts for you swimming your fastest time in 15 years? Especially with no suit!

That is easy.Better form and working out more helped some of course,but the big thing was having Robert Wright next to me stroke for stroke.

Rich Abrahams
August 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Allen,
Fantastic interview. I love your perspective. Swimming masters since 1974 and now this accomplishment. Wow. You epitomize all the best aspects of perserverence.
Rich

orca1946
August 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Elaine , is she the lady that swam in the 1936 olympics?

Robert Strand
August 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Allen- that was a very solid interview. Discussion of pre-race mind-sets is very important and you certainly described your approach very clearly. Its so important for swimmers to understand the need for anxiety and excitement at these critical meets. Embrace the energy and use it to your advantage.
I want to have an objective in every meet I swim and at the national or world level you need the processing of positives and negatives to set yourself up for a "prime time" swim. Now if you break my SCM world records you will piss me off( just kidding) You are a real student of the "game" and I have nothing but great respect for you.

ElaineK
August 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Elaine , is she the lady that swam in the 1936 olympics?

No, I don't believe so. Anne is more noted for being the oldest living graduate of Emory University. She graduated with a degree in chemistry; something that was NOT common for women back then! :applaud:

philoswimmer
August 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Allen,
Fantastic interview. I love your perspective. Swimming masters since 1974 and now this accomplishment. Wow. You epitomize all the best aspects of perserverence.
Rich

Those were my thoughts, exactly. Well done.

jaegermeister
August 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Kudos! Great swim and a very enlightening interview!

breastroker
August 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Allen,
I think Robert challenged you to get his SCM records this winter, like a gun fighter calls out the young buck. Except in this case none of us are young.

I will need that erasure next year, I will have LOTS of issues in my head to think about, too fat, too out of shape, not enough training etc etc.

Wayne

Bobinator
August 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Allen, great interview! You looked and sounded superbly happy! What a great accomplishment!
I love your "erase the bad thoughts and replace them with a good thought theory!" I've made this my official motto at work this week and it's quite effective.