PDA

View Full Version : Hello MN swimmers

kaffrinn
October 10th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Anyone out there? I am a new Masters' swimmer and will be competing at the U of M meet on December 7th...my first meet in about ten years, since the end of high school swimming! I am excited...it gives me a reason to work out more and be motivated about staying fit. I live in St. Paul and am in the 25-29 age group. I'd love to start chatting to a few people on this forum who know about Minnesota Masters swimming because I'm so new to the program. So...again, I ask...anyone out there?

WaterRat
October 13th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Katherine,

Welcome to Minnesota Masters!

I also will be competing at the 12/7 meet at the UofM. The last couple of years there typically was a meet at Woodbury High School at the end of October but it looks like it wonít be happening this year. Bummer, because I always liked to use it as a warm up meet to see where Iím at after taking most of the summer off from swimming.

The meets are pretty low keyed so donít be too worried about it. Heats are arranged by time so that you will be swimming against similar racers. Most folks are very supportive and are more concerned about their times versus their place. Although, at the last meet I did have a guy spit in my lane prior to a 50 fly race. Iím not sure if he was pretending to be Amy Van Dyken or what. I think he just wasnít paying attention.

I also favor backstroke events. Typically, the backstroke events are not all at the beginning of the meet. The 12/7 meet is structured around the Postal Pentathlon where you swim either 50, 100, 200 of each stroke plus a corresponding 100, 200 or 400 IM. Some of the later meets you will be able to swim backstroke later in the day. The Southdale Y meet in March use to be on Saturday afternoons but unfortunately for you this year they moved it to a Sunday. Iím not sure why they did.

Regarding your other post on NQT for Nationals, you can swim 3 events without qualifying. You can swim up to 3 more events by qualifying. You do not have to submit proof of times. So like was suggested you can have someone else time you during practice if you cannot attend a meet which has the event late enough in the day for you to swim. Otherwise, at the end of one of the local meets Iím sure you could find someone willing to time you. I'm also thinking about going to Indy so good luck with your times.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

kaffrinn
October 16th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Thank you for your comments, WaterRat! Very helpful.

I'm really looking forward to the December 7th meet!

Katherine

polar
November 14th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Hi katherine.
Welcome to Minnesota Masters and happy you will be joining us on Dec. 7. A few things about meets in the state. Basically Oct-Apr are meets and June- Aug open water swims. The Dec. 7 meet is set up as a pentatlon meet in memory of Wayde Mulhern, who was our chair and friend who passed away suddenly thi summer.
We have meets in Jan., Feb, Mar and our State Meet in April. You can check out everything on the web site or see the latest edition of the STrenwheeler newsletter on the web site.
www.mn-lmsc.org
We are in the process of updating the web site but it is not quite there.
If you have any questions, you may contact me at polarswim@aol.com
Tina
acting chair mn lmsc

juvie_da
October 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM
I'm new too! I'm at the YMCA in Minneapolis. I've been using some of the workouts found at Opportunities for Greatness II (this forum). God, it has been way too long since I've been in the water.

I struck upon a crazy idea . . . I want to get my larded backside into a triathelon before I hit 40. I have to say, the motivation to get in shape for a meet is competing with the fear of getting embarrassed.

I'd love to get any tips on getting into shape, workouts, and plans to achieve my goal.

I also think I need to connect with a Masters Swimming team somewhere.

Any ideas . . .

Signed:
Slow as Lead in Minneapolis

or

Chuck

kaffrinn
October 22nd, 2005, 01:29 AM
You can do it, Chuck. The Minnesota Masters website (www.minnesotamasters.com) has a list of "places to swim," and at the end of the page it lists some opportunities at YMCA's throughout the area. Hopefully you can find one that works for you - coached workouts really help with motivation, form, and fitness.

Good luck with everything!
Katherine

mike rothweiler
December 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Welcome. I'm a MN Master's swimmmer who just retook up the sport at the age of 59. I swam in high school but that was it. I have been a runner for 30 years and recently wanted to do a tri before the age of 60, which age I now have reached. (It's nice to be the youngest in one's age group) so started swimming again. I've competed in a few MN Master's meets and the last 2 State meets in April. As other's have said, pretty low key, a really nice pool at the UofM, and a supportive group of people.

I look forward to the long course meet in May which has been added. Good luck. mike