PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Watch Question

BluffPlace
August 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hello All,
Newbie here. I just got into the Triathlon sport.

I did my first Tri and completed the 800m swim in about 25 minutes. I'm looking to shave at least 10 minutes off by next season. The bike and run part of the Tri is not a problem.

I have a swim belt which I use twice a week in my pool to help me get use to the constant swim stroke. Once a week, I go to the lake for an OWS.

I know I need a coach to help me out and I'll be using one once I close up the pool for winter which is in about 3 to 4 weeks. At that time, I'll be doing some swim laps.

I'm looking for a watch that will basically tell me that in X amount of time, I swam Y amount of distance. Once I'm swimming indoors, I would like the watch to tell me the number of laps, average time per lap, etc.

Any suggestions?
thanks

orca1946
August 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Look into Casio watches for a good set of watches.

Swimosaur
August 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm looking for a watch that will basically tell me that in X amount of time, I swam Y amount of distance. Once I'm swimming indoors, I would like the watch to tell me the number of laps, average time per lap, etc.

Any suggestions?
thanks

For outdoor use, I have no clue. Basically what you're looking for is a GPS on a watch, with a start/stop button. Surely there must be something out there.

For indoor use, I'd suggest the Poolmate by Swimovate (http://www.swimovate.com/). The unique feature of the Poolmate is that it will count laps for you automatically, so you don't have to press a button every lap. It will also record average time per lap and several other possibly useful metrics. I had a Poolmate for a while. Provided you take at least seven strokes per length with the watch-bearing arm, it works brilliantly, especially on longer swims.

Unfortunately, I often take fewer then seven strokes per length, so it did not work well for me. Also, I'm a pool swimmer, so I'm interested in timing shorter distances, like 25 yard sprints. For me, the Sportcount Chrono 100 (http://www.sportcount.com/products.php?category_id=1) was a much better choice. The Sportcount is a little stopwatch you wear on you index finger, so you can start and stop it using only one hand. It remembers up to 100 intervals, and unlike the Poolmate, it records times to the 1/100th, so it is excellent for timing sprints and interval sets.

Hope that helps.

Swimosaur
August 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
For outdoor use, I have no clue. Basically what you're looking for is a GPS on a watch ...

I googled around for "watch GPS swimming". Of course the triathletes are all over this, but it's still tricky. Apparently most running/cycling watches are not waterproof. Of those that are, apparently it's difficult or impossible for them to continuously lock onto GPS satellite signals while spending more than half the time underwater.

In my search, the GPS watch most frequently mentioned for open water use was the (rather pricey at $350) Garmin Forerunner 310XT (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=27335). From the website,

... while the GPS signal does not track distance while swimming like it does on land, thanks to a recent software update, it now accurately estimates open water swim distance and average speed. Simply enable the Swim mode and press start as you begin your swim. When finished, press the lap button and the 310XT automatically processes a combination of the time and GPS data to compute an estimate of distance covered and average speed while swimming.

That means you won't be able to reconstruct your swim by downloading data points to your computer, like you would with a run or a bike ride. But it would give you time and distance, which is what you asked for.

Good luck!