PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Equipment

AJDawg
August 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I'm new to this board and have only been swimming for about 1.5 years.
Does anybody know of a freestyle practice device that you can lay down prone on and practice the correct arm stroke with your elbows slightly bent and hands entering the water correctly?
Seems I saw something like this on YouTube at one time.

Thanks much.

ALM
August 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
You may be thinking of the Vasa Trainer:

Vasa Trainer (http://www.vasatrainer.com/)

Vasa Trainer review by Alex Kostich (http://www.active.com/swimming/Articles/Swim_gear_review__the_Vasa_Trainer_machine.htm)

chowmi
August 20th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I love my Vasa Trainer. I just wrote a blog entry yesterday about it!

Here is the page that shows the free swimming position as well as other exercises with the model that I have. I chose this model not only because it was a bit cheaper than the ergometer, but also because there is no Truth like having to actually move your own body weight.

http://www.vasatrainer.com/index.php?page=Trainer%20Exercises

Like many at-home systems, it's in the low $1,000's. But the main benefit is the swimming specificity, and then jerrry-rigged for all other types of strength work.

++++++++++++++++++++
A cheaper alternative is strech cords. These are also portable so you can travel with them. You can also do other type of exercises with cords.

++++++++++++++++++++
While not as much a muscle-builder, i'd say it is more about just thinking about your strokes and perhaps stabilizing your muscles, you can also use light handweights and either stand or lean over an exercise ball and "swim". When I was on vacation, i'd just use soup cans since I quite literally had nothing else in the condo. This is a good time to stand in front of the mirror and watch yourself!

Lump
August 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I love the Vasa Trainer as well. I would say it is probably the single best piece of equipment outside the pool you could use. It along with surgical tubing is fantastic!

Water Rat
August 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Sometimes I use a kickboard for a 1 arm drill. Grab the top with one arm so the base is at your armpit. With the other arm you can really focus on a high elbow catch

Bobinator
August 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Sometimes I use a kickboard for a 1 arm drill. Grab the top with one arm so the base is at your armpit. With the other arm you can really focus on a high elbow catch

That sounds interesting and cheap to do! Thanks Water rat. Can you post a video of someone doing this?

Bobinator
August 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM
I love my Vasa Trainer. I just wrote a blog entry yesterday about it!

Here is the page that shows the free swimming position as well as other exercises with the model that I have. I chose this model not only because it was a bit cheaper than the ergometer, but also because there is no Truth like having to actually move your own body weight.

http://www.vasatrainer.com/index.php?page=Trainer%20Exercises

Like many at-home systems, it's in the low $1,000's. But the main benefit is the swimming specificity, and then jerrry-rigged for all other types of strength work.

++++++++++++++++++++
A cheaper alternative is strech cords. These are also portable so you can travel with them. You can also do other type of exercises with cords.

++++++++++++++++++++
While not as much a muscle-builder, i'd say it is more about just thinking about your strokes and perhaps stabilizing your muscles, you can also use light handweights and either stand or lean over an exercise ball and "swim". When I was on vacation, i'd just use soup cans since I quite literally had nothing else in the condo. This is a good time to stand in front of the mirror and watch yourself!

Which model do you have michele? Is the $899.00 swim trainer a decent piece of equipment? This looks like something great for a basement workout room!

orca1946
August 22nd, 2011, 01:03 AM
Vasa is also great for FLY !

chowmi
August 22nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Which model do you have michele? Is the $899.00 swim trainer a decent piece of equipment? This looks like something great for a basement workout room!

I believe my model is called the Trainer. It is NOT the ergometer. I love it! If you buy, the add ons I highly recommend to get right away are the power cords and the kick plate. If you don't get the power cords, you can only incline for more difficulty, and that doesn't always work since some of the strength exercises you want to stay flat or on a lower level setting. The kick plate is great; it is well worth the $100 or so for a whole bunch of exercises. If you're going to order everthing you can in one go, i'd also get the dumbell attachment tool and the ankle straps. For some exercises, I now would rather increase the resistance by including a dumbell rather than inclining more, and i'd like the ankle straps for additional leg exercises. Plus I think I have to take it partially apart to get the dumbell attachment on.

It measures 7 feet by itself, so you have to add at least 2 feet or more to either end as the amount of space you need. That said, you can put it against a wall, and then move it out diagonally when you actually use it.