PDA

View Full Version : One thread per newbie, please

Jazz Hands
August 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
There are some newbies here who are embarking on training programs. Great. But if that's you, please make only one thread about yourself. If you do that, people responding to your questions will have some understanding of your goals and background that you have already told us, instead of having to look around for the information.

What you need is a consistent philosophy of training and a program. I know you think "What does Swimmer A eat?" is a different question from "How much does Swimmer B bench?" but it's pretty clear to me that all newbie questions are just roundabout confused ways of asking the same question: "How can I swim faster?"

Note: My definition of newbie isn't someone new to swimming. It's someone new to thinking about swimming. If you ask a ton of questions, that's you.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
August 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Note: My definition of newbie isn't someone new to swimming. It's someone new to thinking about swimming. If you ask a ton of questions, that's you.

:applaud:

LOVE these kind of swimmers!
(and coaches who care enough to respond to them)

Bobinator
August 21st, 2011, 08:13 AM
Using a BLOG is another great way to ask lots of questions. In fact you could post a question-a-day type format on your personal blog and probably develop a good following!

Redbird Alum
August 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
OR.... Everyone just read Ande's Swim Faster Faster and the various stroke threads before just firing off.

However, in today's world, people don't necessarily want to read much, they want instant gratification. (This is a primary reason documentation was dropped from software packages a long time ago... people would just as soon call for help as look it up.) But that's a whole non-swimming thread all it's own! :bolt:

gaash
August 22nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
OR.... Everyone just read Ande's Swim Faster Faster and the various stroke threads before just firing off.

However, in today's world, people don't necessarily want to read much, they want instant gratification. (This is a primary reason documentation was dropped from software packages a long time ago... people would just as soon call for help as look it up.) But that's a whole non-swimming thread all it's own! :bolt:

To be fair, making people go through a thousand+ post thread isn't exactly, well, fair :)

Bobinator
August 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
To be fair, making people go through a thousand+ post thread isn't exactly, well, fair :)

I agree, that's why I like the blog format.
If you are looking for a certain subject I've found the "search button" works pretty well and sorts the threads down to a managable few.

fmracing
August 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Not exactly a swim specific thing. Nearly any informational forum has these same problems.

Agree with jazz though... as they say search is your friend.

The only thing I'm interested in less than answering newbie questions is re-answering newbie questions :angel:

smontanaro
August 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM

Therein lies the rub. I mean no offense to Jim and the other people who
do an excellent job maintaining the site, but the search facility for these forum systems leaves much to be desired. In other contexts, the moderators have created "classic" threads forums to hold threads like Ande's Swim Faster Faster thread. See the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=5) on 914world.com for an example. That site uses Invision Power Board, not vBulletin, so thread migration features available to admins might be different. Even now, knowing that that SFF exists, I'm not sure how I would "discover" it given the current crop of forums available here. If I search here for

Swim Faster Faster

Ande's thread comes in at #21 in the search results. OTOH, if I Google for

site:usms.org swim faster faster

Ande's thread is #1. I don't think people should show up here knowing Google search esoterica.

Skip

gaash
August 22nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I think a problem honestly is that the "informative" threads are too long. Search will bring you up one of andes threads, but it still can take an hour to find what you want in a several thousand post thread!