PDA

View Full Version : 10/1/11 Sarasota, FL Daquiri Deck Tropical Splash

Randy Marchman
August 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Has anyone here done this race before? Can you tell me what lodging option would be closest to the course and to hang out on the beach the rest of the weekend? :)

ALM
August 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM
There are no traditional hotel chains on Siesta Key, but there are a ton of beach rental properties that are all within walking distance of the beach and Siesta Village (where the shops and restaurants are).

Siesta Key Accomodations page (http://www.siestakey.com/accommodations.cfm)

Siesta Key home page (http://www.siestakey.com/)

Even if you don't stay on Siesta Key itself, the public beach there is very accessible. It has a huge parking lot (800 spaces), bathrooms, outdoor showers, and a snack bar.

Another beach lodging option would be Lido Beach on Longboat Key. I think there may be a Holiday Inn there; the rest of the lodging would be smaller non-chain type places. Lido Beach is another nice beach. It's about a 15-minute drive from Siesta Beach.

Randy Marchman
August 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks jayhawk, that is very useful info :) Anybody know where the start/finish would be on the attached map?

Randy Marchman
August 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry, my earlier post had the wrong map!

ALM
August 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
The Siesta Key public beach is near the Crescent Royale and the Sunset Royale on the map you attached.

If you go to Google Maps and search on "Siesta Key public beach," the marker will show you where the parking lot is.

Siesta Key Village, where the restaurants are, is along the stretch labeled "Ocean Blvd" on your map.

Randy Marchman
August 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Jayhawk, you rawk! Thank you so very much! I have put in for a rental at the Sunset Royale at a good price and it looks like it should be close to the beach, the food, and shops! Checked on flights, good. Now just need employer approval and I'll be ready to register! :applaud:

Randy Marchman
August 29th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I'm in! Still trying to figure out lodging within close proximity to beach and restaurants. Everything on the Siesta Key site is a minimum of a week right now. Trying to figure out which of the mom and pop alternatives is closest and best. Let me know if any of you have any tips :)

ALM
September 3rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
If you can't find anything on the Key, the closest hotel is probably the Holiday Inn Express:

http://www.hiexsarasota.com/

It's probably a 5-minute drive to Siesta Beach.

Randy Marchman
September 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks, anyone know why it is a requirement to wear a swim cap?

jaadams1
September 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks, anyone know why it is a requirement to wear a swim cap?

Usually that's a safety issue...they give you a brightly colored cap to be seen in the water more easily.

Randy Marchman
September 19th, 2011, 11:18 PM
With over 300 swimmers entered into this event, with three different lenghts and start times, will everyone entered in the same length race, figure 100+ each, start at the same time, or will there be waves of starters?

Chicken of the Sea
September 20th, 2011, 12:38 AM
With over 300 swimmers entered into this event, with three different lenghts and start times, will everyone entered in the same length race, figure 100+ each, start at the same time, or will there be waves of starters?

It's been about 3 years since I did this swim, but I seem to remember waves. I don't remember there being any crowding. Lovely swim. Would be there this year if I could!

ALM
September 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM

There is no plan at this time to have "waves" within each race. Each race has its own start time but everyone in that race starts together. We had almost 300 entries last year and the race starts weren't too crowded. I did the 2.5k race and I don't remember feeling crowded at all.

Randy Marchman
October 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Great job, I loved it! :applaud: