PDA

View Full Version : swim night or day?

sparx35
October 11th, 2003, 05:58 PM
i usually swam evenings to start with,then increased to 3 evenings per week.I tried today(because i work mon to fri,and today is sat)swimming in the morning.I got up at 6 and got to the pool for 7am,i really enjoyed it the only thing was i didn't feel as flexible in the water as i do evenings after work,i tried stretching but still not much improvement..will this improve with more morning workouts or should i stick to nights?

hammerheadcm
October 11th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I have read that most people do better at sports later in the day than earlier. I guess part of it is due to increased flexibility because your body is warmer. I prefer to swim early in the morning because it is convenient. I have found that on these shorter days with less light in the AM I do not swim as well as I do when there is sunlight. (I swim outdoors) I have also read that people who work out in the morning are usually more likely to do a workout than those who leave it for the evening hours.

sparx35
October 12th, 2003, 10:15 AM
yea i can see why ,it was great and invigorating and there was hardly a soul in the water(me and about5 others),only trouble was i was tired the rest of the day but i think i can get used to that if i only do mornings on a saturday,and evenings mon.wed..if i win lottery i wont have pool days ....i'll have dry days where i occasionally leave the pool(to eat and shop..!)oh and sleep..

eliana2003
October 12th, 2003, 11:04 AM
I used to train in the evenings, but the problem was that I then had all day to talk myself out of it. Now, I go to the 6am practices- I stumble out of bed, and next thing I know, I'm on deck...

You'll get used to getting up early- it was SOOO hard to do at first, but now I'm used to it... give it time- It'll get better!!

Conniekat8
October 12th, 2003, 06:04 PM
I'm always stiffer in the morning, needing more time (yardage) to warm-up. I've talked about that to couple of my teammates just the other day, very briefly, and they said they experience the same thing. (relative to what 'flexible' is for them, personally.)
I don't kow that should prevent one from swimming in the morning.
You'll probably just have to know to expect different things from yourself in the morning swims, vs. afternoon/evening swims.

Conniekat8
October 12th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by sparx35
only trouble was i was tired the rest of the day but i think i can get used to that

Your body will adjust to that in few weeks.

laineybug
October 12th, 2003, 08:24 PM
it takes six weeks to form a habit, so stick with it for that long before you make any judgements about whether you have adjusted.

Conniekat8
October 13th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Six weeks?
I always thought it was three. Hmmm...
Now I'm confused.

sparx35
October 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
week 2 now,i'm up at 6am tommorrow morning for a swim,looking forward to it too!!!!!

eliana2003
October 17th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Well done!

Happy swimming,
eliana

jennyfer80
October 19th, 2003, 12:05 AM
swimming in the morning works out great for me. i go to school feeling like i accomplished something. so if i have a really crappy day at least i know i got up early to go swim. :) going in the evening was too hard for me b/c i would go to swim at 6pm after the hs team was done, then swam till about 7:30 or 8 and then came home and ate something did a few other things and didn't sit down to study until 9. i have been trying to go walk/run on the treadmill at the gym in the evenings b/c i can do that and study at the same time.

i just wish the pool and gym were open longer on the weekends. whats up with closing at 6? don't they know i have no life and might want to go swim or run at 9 or 10 pm.

gull
October 20th, 2003, 05:32 PM
I have always been slower in early morning workouts but unfortunately that works best for my schedule. In college my afternoon workouts were a lot faster if I'd made it to the morning practice.

Conniekat8
October 21st, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by sparx35
week 2 now,i'm up at 6am tommorrow morning for a swim,looking forward to it too!!!!!

Kewl!
Congratulations :)

Gareth Eckley
October 21st, 2003, 04:55 AM
When I was swimming in Vancouver a few years ago, I switched from afternoon swims to early morning swims. It was hard for a few months but now I prefer to swim early. I swim from 6:45 to 8:15 or 8:30, then have a BIG breakfast.

My coach in Vancouver, Paul Cross, told me that when you swim early in the morning that you can be 3 to 6 seconds slower for each 50m. This is down to flexibility and blood flow etc being more sluggish. He also told me that after a year or two the body adapts and that the differential is less, 2 seconds / 50m, I think.

The only time that they have lanes in my local pool is in the early morning slot, so if you are serious about training then that is when you swim.

WaterRat
October 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM
I much prefer to swim at night. I have never been a morning person. Last season due to work conflicts, I would swim a coached workout 2-3 times per week in the morning and on my own in the evening 2-3 times per week. I was stiffer during warm ups in the mornings but after that I did not see a difference in flexibility or swim times between morning and nights.

I swam morning and nights for 5 months and my body never adjusted to getting up for the early morning workouts and I would end up exhausted by the end of the day. The problem was that when I would swim at night I would get done too late. Due to schedules, I often donít get done swimming until after midnight (does that count as both an evening and morning workout?) Therefore, after swimming late I was unable to get enough sleep and still get up at 5:00 a.m. on the off swim days as I would if I were swimming that morning to build a routine. Note: I never swam at night and then also the next morning.

I think the key is to being consistent with your sleeping and rising times. Over time Iím sure your body will adjust but if you are a true night owl it may take you longer than 3-6 weeks to adapt. For now, I just stick to nights.

Scansy
October 21st, 2003, 10:55 PM
I don't do morning swims well. It's too easy for me to just turn off the alarm and roll over.

I am in the office typically 4 days a week and my pool is a mile away. For some reason, I can get up and get to the office an hour early easier than I can get up and swim. It works well for me to go at lunch. I take a long lunch and make up the time in the morning. Then, I feel my best when I swim and I get an hour or so of concentrated work in the morning before the phone starts ringing etc.

When I am out of the office on the fifth day, I try to go whenever I can get there.

cinc3100
October 22nd, 2003, 12:39 AM
I do both. On my days off from work I swim mornings or sometimes afternoons when its much cooler. When I work I swim nites at a health club. I swim usually 4 days a week around 2,500 to 3,000 a day.

hoganpsu
October 23rd, 2003, 10:40 PM
I have been swimming mornings since I was 10 years old. I have hated them all the way through college, but now with my work schedule, it is the only time I can get any yardage in. Oh well, thats swimming for you

sparx35
October 30th, 2003, 03:59 PM
i think all these answer my original quest..
i think both,to swim night and day but on differing days

sparx35
October 31st, 2003, 04:05 PM
i now look forward to my sat morn swim.i'm up at 6am tommorrow can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

sparx35
October 31st, 2003, 04:06 PM
i must be mad.....yip....yip....yip.....(men in white coats now approaching)yip....yipppp...yip!!!!!