PDA

View Full Version : buttefly question?

adrianandcielo
August 22nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
is it possible for me to drop my 100 yard butterfly time by 4 seconds within a 7 month span? i am trying to go from 56 to 52, my 50 fly is a 24.88 , but my 100 is a 56.16. for some reason i always die in the back 50, i usually take out 26 but come back 30. if i train swimming 200 butterfly would this help me to gain endurance so that i wont die in the last50?

jaadams1
August 23rd, 2011, 12:31 AM
Best of luck.

Swimosaur
August 23rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
... drop my 100 yard butterfly time by 4 seconds within a 7 month span? ... 56 to 52 ...

I did almost exactly that, 55.5 to 52.3, as a teenager, back when the earth was young (35+ years ago). Oddly, what did it for me was a ridiculous amount of abs work. I remember doing sets of situps (full situps, not crunches), with a 10 pound weight held behind the head, on an inclined bench, how many situps can you do in 3 minutes? I remember the number was a little over 100, like 105 or something. We'd do three sets of that, several times a week. That was all done before the season started. Once the season started, I had a ridiculously strong dolphin kick.

Back then we didn't understand exactly how fast & powerful dolphin kicking really is. With 20/20 hindsight, I could have re-engineered the race to take even better advantage of kicking, and may have gone even faster.

My suggestion is a lot of abs work. YMMV.

Allen Stark
August 23rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
I did almost exactly that, 55.5 to 52.3, as a teenager, back when the earth was young (35+ years ago). Oddly, what did it for me was a ridiculous amount of abs work. I remember doing sets of situps (full situps, not crunches), with a 10 pound weight held behind the head, on an inclined bench, how many situps can you do in 3 minutes? I remember the number was a little over 100, like 105 or something. We'd do three sets of that, several times a week. That was all done before the season started. Once the season started, I had a ridiculously strong dolphin kick.

Back then we didn't understand exactly how fast & powerful dolphin kicking really is. With 20/20 hindsight, I could have re-engineered the race to take even better advantage of kicking, and may have gone even faster.

My suggestion is a lot of abs work. YMMV.

Lots of Ab work is important.One good way to add to that is dolphins kick with fins(mono fin if you can get one.)Usually sprinting fly ,if you can keep the flow going you are OK and the way to do that is strong core.In that regard how is your SDK and how many kicks do you take off the turns.

ande
August 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
is it possible for me to drop my 100 yard butterfly time by 4 seconds within a 7 month span? i am trying to go from 56 to 52, my 50 fly is a 24.88 , but my 100 is a 56.16. for some reason i always die in the back 50, i usually take out 26 but come back 30. if i train swimming 200 butterfly would this help me to gain endurance so that i wont die in the last50?

Is it possible for me to drop my 100 yard butterfly time by 4 seconds within a 7 month span?
YES, between my Jr & Sr year in HS I dropped from 56.9 to 52.0 in the 100 fly.

for some reason i always die in the back 50, i usually take out 26 but come back 30. if i train swimming 200 butterfly would this help me to gain endurance so that i wont die in the last 50?
You died because you went out too hard and didn't have the conditioning to bring it home. You don't need to train for the 200 fly to have a good 100 fly
Train for the 50, 100, 200 & 500 free
Train to improve your SDK
Lift weights and exercise to get stronger

Do you have a coach?
Are you training with a team?

orca1946
August 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I think longer , slower sets of fly along with gym workouts will help. At the end of practice, do some sprint fly when you are tried.

adrianandcielo
August 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Yes i do have a swim coach and swim with a team. for my junior year in highschool i went 56.16 at Finals, and i hope to go at least 52 for finals again in march. what weight exercise can help me with my butterfly?

jaadams1
August 25th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Yes i do have a swim coach and swim with a team. for my junior year in highschool i went 56.16 at Finals, and i hope to go at least 52 for finals again in march. what weight exercise can help me with my butterfly?

Anything that would simulate the butterfly pulldowns. I used to do an exercise on a cable machine where the cable came through a pulley overhead, and I would attach a bar to. Then I would bend over to be somewhat horizontal and do double arm pulldowns in a swimming motion.
I now occasionally will use my Total Gym machine, but anything you can get access to that is similar will work.
Lat pull downs, triceps, pushups/or bench press, and lots of core work. You don't need to be big and bulky. More reps, less weights. Light, quick and strong is better. Work on improving the SDKs like Ande mentioned earlier. That's something I need to get back to as well. :)

havepoolwillswim
August 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Great advice by others in this thread. I like Ande's suggestion of training for the 200/500 fr to build your base.

I would also incorporate a lot of speed work in practice at 95-100% effort. You mention your 50 is a 24.8. I'm thinking you should go out that fast or maybe even a tad faster at around 24.5 or 6 to break 53. Shoot for a new pr of 23.5-23.8 in the 50 fly while you are at it.

You can do this! :)

orca1946
August 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Has any of this helped you ? Let us know what you are doing now .

shadowxvi
September 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Interesting article i stumbled upon:
Butterfly Technique what happens when swimmers get tired?
http://www.coachesinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:swimming-butterfly-tired&catid=49:swimming-coaching&Itemid=86

philoswimmer
September 5th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Interesting article i stumbled upon:
Butterfly Technique what happens when swimmers get tired?
http://www.coachesinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:swimming-butterfly-tired&catid=49:swimming-coaching&Itemid=86

Yes, very interesting. I particularly found the "Summary Points" and the "Practical Implications for Coaching" at the end very helpful.

androvski
September 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Forget sit-ups, if you want to develop a strong core go with L-sits, ab wheel rollouts and hanging leg lifts.

gaash
September 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Forget sit-ups, if you want to develop a strong core go with L-sits, ab wheel rollouts and hanging leg lifts.

If people did sit ups properly this exercise wouldn't be so dismissed. Have your hands interlocked behind your head and your elbows behind your ears at ALL TIMES during the entire motion. That's how you make sit ups really work.

androvski
September 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
If people did sit ups properly this exercise wouldn't be so dismissed. Have your hands interlocked behind your head and your elbows behind your ears at ALL TIMES during the entire motion. That's how you make sit ups really work.
I'm not dismissing them, I think sit-ups can be useful if you're trying to develop strength endurance.

But if you're looking to develop strength, the movements I mentioned are far superior and more useful for swimming. Training for L-sits and rollouts alone will give you amazing core strength. There are no other ab exercise which produce so much tension in your core.

Jazz Hands
September 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'm not dismissing them, I think sit-ups can be useful if you're trying to develop strength endurance.

Try doing them on an incline bench while holding a 20-pound weight behind your head.

orca1946
September 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Maybe do not start out with a 20 lb weight ??

androvski
September 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Try doing them on an incline bench while holding a 20-pound weight behind your head.
I have. :)

It's a good exercise, but I still that the movements I mentioned are superior and more convenient.

__steve__
September 7th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Anyone tried sit-ups on incline (sit-up) bench with upper body in the streamlined position?:agree: Don't go all the way down though.

jaadams1
September 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Anyone tried sit-ups on incline (sit-up) bench with upper body in the streamlined position?:agree: Don't go all the way down though.

Yeah, I remember that being really fun! :bolt: back in college when I was in shape to do it. I'd probably hurt myself now. :afraid:

swimlong
September 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
what are L sits?

androvski
September 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM
what are L sits?
Static Test #1 (L-Sit) - YouTube