PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Thorpe article

taruky
August 26th, 2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/new-fangled-ian-thorpe-tweaks-talent-under-gennadi-touretski/story-e6frg7mf-1226119231928

I can't wait to see this new stroke. Has anyone here drastically changed their stroke to convert from either sprinter to middle-distancer or vice versa? Or do you have both in your arsenal. I myself have gotten comfortable switching between a flatter, shoulder driven sprint to a longer, more rotation middle distance stroke.

One question: in the article Touretski advises Thorpe to rotate more for sprinting. I've seen some sprinters who rotate relatively little, because it's harder (I would imagine) to get the turnover when rotating so much. Any thoughts?

That Guy
August 26th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, a hybrid of Popov and the old Thorpe? This will be something to see. The article doesn't mention SDK... just imagine if Thorpe has added that as well...

taruky
August 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Wow, a hybrid of Popov and the old Thorpe? This will be something to see. The article doesn't mention SDK... just imagine if Thorpe has added that as well...
I actually remember seeing an interview with him a few months ago where he talks about differences between now and his heyday. He suggested that the SDK is an improvement while also saying stroke technique is going downhill nowadays. I found the latter comment interesting because times are dropping compared to 10 years ago, even without the technology. Could it be that despite declining technique the SDK is dropping times relative to 10-12 years ago?

pwb
August 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I actually remember seeing an interview with him a few months ago where he talks about differences between now and his heyday. He suggested that the SDK is an improvement while also saying stroke technique is going downhill nowadays. I found the latter comment interesting because times are dropping compared to 10 years ago, even without the technology. Could it be that despite declining technique the SDK is dropping times relative to 10-12 years ago?There will always be some swimmers who go fast and whose technique appears "questionable," but I don't know what the basis for the comment about declining technique comes from. Certain strokes (e.g., breast & fly are swum generally more flat now than ~15/20 years ago) have had their technique change, but I wouldn't say it's declined. If I were (admittedly subjectively) to compare Grant Hackett's technique with Sun Yang's, I'd give Sun Yang the nod for better technique.

orca1946
August 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Didn't Phelps try a straight arm recovery for a short time ??

havepoolwillswim
August 27th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Didn't Phelps try a straight arm recovery for a short time ??

Both Phelps and Lochte were experimenting with it in 2009 from what I remember, but not so much these days. I saw Phelps and Lochte race in person back 2010, but I don't remember either really incorporating it into their stroke. Maybe they changed their technique the last 5 meters, but I didn't notice. I'm thinking I should go back to the watch video from the Pan Pacs 4x100 fr.

One thing I did notice was Phelps dropped his head position a bit from the flags to the wall bringing his hips up/more kick. In other words, it appeared to me he moved his head position from looking forward to slightly looking down.

Nathan Adrian is all straight arm recovery the last 10-15 meters in his 100.

Doesn't Sullivan use a straight arm recovery throughout his entire race?

I once saw an interview with Coach Reese who wasn't too enthusiastic about the straight arm recovery. I think it may be on floswimming(?). If I weren't so tired from last night's workout, I'd search for it...

Debugger
August 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Very good article. Thanks a lot!
Yes, Sulivan is swimming with straight hands as well as Nystrand.
Btw is someone saw Universiade 2011 1.5K Free final - the winner Rocco Potenza swam entire distance with straight arm recovery and very high pace - I couldn't believe my eyes and thought he gonna die on the half of the distance but he even accelerated on the last 100! :bolt:

orca1946
August 27th, 2011, 03:01 PM
That goes against everything I know about a long arc taking longer to finish than a short one !!! :afraid::worms:

__steve__
August 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Didn't Phelps try a straight arm recovery for a short time ??I wonder if he regrets even trying:bolt:

orca1946
August 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well - a world record holder is always looking for a new faster edge.