PDA

View Full Version : Southwest...where's the love?

Kurt Dickson
August 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
A review of the last 7 years, shows only 4 out of 37 Open Water National Championships held in the Southwest (I'm counting Colorado or it would be 2/37). Not a single event in 2007. 2008, 2011, and 2012. 76% were held in NE, SE, or midwest. With my local boy shut down for 2013, let me remind the power we have nice beaches, relatively non-toxic (compared to Chicago) scenic lakes, 15,000 plus members (Pacific, South Pacific, San Diego, Arizona), and Alex Kostich. What more is needed?

pwb
August 30th, 2011, 03:29 PM
What more is needed?Someone to bid for and host the events, I think.

Kurt, please recognize, though, that in addition to being closer for Alex Kostich to come and whoop our butts, southwestern OW events are also very close for the likes of Jeff Erwin, Mike Schaeffer, etc.. Maybe the other parts of the country give us a little advantage if we're willing to hop on a plane away from the western distance gods?

KatieK
August 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
DCB Adventures put in a bid for the 2013 USMS Open Water National Championship. It would be at Lake Pleasant, either the 2nd or the 4th race of the series.

p.s. If any of you Zonies are ever looking for open water swim buddies, check out this group on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/167847399892134/

Kurt Dickson
August 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Benjes did apply and was rejected for 2013 (but perhaps the volume of applications is not where the other zones are at).

Not particularly worried about getting crushed, I just think it would be cool to have some events nearby. Clearly the competition is better here as in Clovis, I got 4th...in my age group (ouch).

pwb
August 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Benjes did apply and was rejected for 2013 (but perhaps the volume of applications is not where the other zones are at).

Not particularly worried about getting crushed, I just think it would be cool to have some events nearby. Clearly the competition is better here as in Clovis, I got 4th...in my age group (ouch).
Kurt, absolutely the best swimmers are out west ... maybe this is all an eastern / midwestern conspiracy to avoid having to compete against ... :bolt:

Kurt Dickson
August 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
this is all an eastern / midwestern conspiracy
Kostich, Disney Land, Grand Canyon, SB-1070, Linda Ronstadt, The Gin Blossoms...clearly we have it all.

I've been cheated
Been mistreated
When will I be loved....

Ken Classen
September 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM
A review of the last 7 years, shows only 4 out of 37 Open Water National Championships held in the Southwest (I'm counting Colorado or it would be 2/37). Not a single event in 2007. 2008, 2011, and 2012. 76% were held in NE, SE, or midwest. With my local boy shut down for 2013, let me remind the power we have nice beaches, relatively non-toxic (compared to Chicago) scenic lakes, 15,000 plus members (Pacific, South Pacific, San Diego, Arizona), and Alex Kostich. What more is needed? Kurt, First thanks for coming to Colorado and congrads on your victory in the www.horsetoothswim.com. I agree, I wish there were more USMS Open Water Championship swims in the region. There are several established swims in Southern California that would make excellent Championship events. However, rumor has it when the Horsetooth swim was the site of the USMS 10K Championship in 2006 that it was a hassle for the race organizers. Speaking with other race promoters, the feeling is that they don't really need USMS, and USMS hasn't really made much of an effort to partner with them. I for one would love a championship event in Arizona in April or November. And when the lakes in the Midwest get to warm in the high summer to have championship events on the California coast.

Kurt Dickson
September 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Speaking with other race promoters, the feeling is that they don't really need USMS, and USMS hasn't really made much of an effort to partner with them.

Sounds right...maybe something to work on....

chaos
September 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
i don't think usms has reached out to anyone in texas either. there is another org that puts on about a dozen OW events each year.

CA has tons of great events from the bay to la jolla. i'm not sure what usms could offer that would improve them.

usms does provide an easy route to sanction and insurance, but then, participation is limited to members only (18 or older)