PDA

View Full Version : Share the wall, ok?

Michael Heather
August 31st, 2011, 10:36 AM
For those of you with fewer than 4 people in a lane at workout, congratulations, this rant does not apply to you. I hope.

For the rest of us, especially those who regularly have to share with 8 or more per lane, does your coach keep the wall cleared so everyone has an opportunity to finish swimming? Or does the wall get cluttered with the first two or three people who think it is necessary to hold onto the gutter with both hands and have both feet on the ledge? And are oblivious to the idea that there may be other swimmers behind them that want to get a time for the full distance of the pool? Yeah, me too.

Bobinator
August 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine too. There are a couple people i swim with occasionally who stop at least 5 yds. from the wall even if they're the lane leader. Everyone else backs up to about the half way mark. I always tell them it bothers me; I think some of my lane mates think I'm over-intense. I'm not intense, I just like to get the whole workout in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2fish&1whale
August 31st, 2011, 12:22 PM
I'm lucky as I rarely swim with 1 or 2 other people,but this scenario drives me nuts when I see it happen at my kids practice.They"ve complained to the coach that they hardly ever finish to the wall,but there is rarely any correction.So both train really hard to swim 45,95 and 195 Y events,but get screwed when it comes to the finish,which I believe is as important as a good start.

lefty
August 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM
They"ve complained to the coach that they hardly ever finish to the wall,but there is rarely any correction.So both train really hard to swim 45,95 and 195 Y events,but get screwed when it comes to the finish,

Unfortunate to be sure. I think with kids this happens because kids rarely think about anyone but there self so the thought that they are clogging the lane for the ones behind them just doesn't occur.

but get screwed when it comes to the finish,which I believe is as important as a good start.

Well, that isn't true. But point taken.

sbegonia
August 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Gaaaahhhhh!!! YES, major pet peeve :frustrated: :shakeshead: :rant3: :censor:
Coaches should to enforce it, but come on, we're all adults and should know that there are other people in the world! People who hog the wall are too self-absorbed to notice others stopping short or having to tread water after a tough set. Yeah, are you blind?! Do you see me??? :bitching:

knelson
August 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM
There are a couple people i swim with occasionally who stop at least 5 yds. from the wall even if they're the lane leader. Everyone else backs up to about the half way mark.

Now this is just bizarre!

I think when you get more than maybe four people to a lane it starts getting difficult for the last people to finish to the wall even if the earlier swimmers try to line up in the middle of the lane. It gets worse when the water is too deep to stand up. But the lane leader finishing five yards from the wall is something I've--luckily--never experienced!

shadowxvi
August 31st, 2011, 02:32 PM
I hate it when people do that to me so whenever I'm up front I always scoot to the side as soon as i touch the wall. However, even though i get out of the way most people just finish a yard or two out anyways.

Bobinator
August 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM
I hate it when people do that to me so whenever I'm up front I always scoot to the side as soon as i touch the wall. However, even though i get out of the way most people just finish a yard or two out anyways.

Me too! It's called being considerate and mindful of others.
We get some people who are fairly fast but only come to practice 2 or 3 times a month. They like to go first and be fast but I guess they think the cross on the bottom is the finish line. They'd be better off to slow down and do the workout from wall to wall.
I usually move to another lane mid-workout when these type people show up in my lane. We don't have an on-deck coach to take care of these issues and people get annoyed with me when I speak up.

swimshark
August 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Unfortunate to be sure. I think with kids this happens because kids rarely think about anyone but there self so the thought that they are clogging the lane for the ones behind them just doesn't occur.

I swim/practice with kids. The coach emphasizes that we all have to swim the entire 50m or 25 yards, not 45m or 24 yards. We have long course practices with 12 or more in each lane. Once we finish, we race to duck under and get to the middle of the lane so the next person can finish. Rarely does it happen that we can't touch the end of the lane. That did not happen with my previous age group team but thanks to this coach, we all get to get to the wall.

swimmerb212
August 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM
My solution has been to get faster so I can become the lane leader. But until that happens, I just swim into anyone who gets in my way. I think it's also how I establish some rank as the only women in a lane that's usually full of men.

Also, I've found that it's helpful to speak up and ask my lane mates to make way for the finish. That actually got the point across better than the passive-aggressive colliding...

2fish&1whale
September 1st, 2011, 08:15 AM

I'm hoping that with a new group of coaches coming in this issue will be addressed-we're talking 12-16 year olds-they should know better but don't realize they only hurt themselves,and it's the coach who should remind them.
And I still think that a strong finish is as important as a strong start-I've seen too many swimmers cruise into the wall,expecting to have won,only to have been beat by the swimmer who took an extra stroke or extended fully.
I'd actually say it's more important-a bungled start you MAY be able to fix over the course of your event,unless it's a sprint-but a finish is a finish,no fixing that.

Redbird Alum
September 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Anyone who doesn't think strong finishes are important needs to watch the finish Phelps put on that fly in the last Olympics.

One thing I've tried in the past during a practice is to have those that finish stack up on the opposite lane line after they complete. It gets somewhat difficult to use this principle when the intervals are extremely tight, however.

Celestial
September 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM
It gets somewhat difficult to use this principle when the intervals are extremely tight, however.

Frankly if the interval is really tight - the people in front of you have left before you get to the wall; problem solved! Our (age group) coach also yells at the kids for blocking the wall - the LITTLE kids. Those in middle school or older know better.

orca1946
September 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
You need to talk about lane rules & let them know you WILL finish to the wall if they are in the way they will soon learn that you are coming to it over them !

Michael Heather
September 1st, 2011, 09:46 PM
You need to talk about lane rules & let them know you WILL finish to the wall if they are in the way they will soon learn that you are coming to it over them !

I have done that. Unfortunately, the coach is subject to a lot more whining about me making my way to the wall, and does not seem to think that it is a prerogative of all people in the lane to finish their swim.

I have tried going first, last, on a different interval, doesn't matter. They even get huffy if they are passed. :shakeshead: I seem to be the only one in the lane who actually realizes (or cares) that it is crowded.

orca1946
September 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Is the entire pool/team this way or just your lane ?

Michael Heather
September 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
I am guessing the entire team. I swim in one of three different lanes, depending on how I feel, numbers in the lane, etc. They are all the same. The coach does not seem to proactively organize, but reacts inconsistently to situations. I am not sure if he is uncomfortable giving instructions to the swimmers (most of whom are older than him), or just wants the swimmers to figure it out on their own.

I have no problem making it to the wall to finish through a crowd, but the hue and cry that ensues is pitiful, as if I ran over their bicycles.

knelson
September 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
I have no problem making it to the wall to finish through a crowd, but the hue and cry that ensues is pitiful, as if I ran over their bicycles.

It's funny. You'd think they'd apologize for getting in your way. Instead you're the bad guy!

Celestial
September 2nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
The coach does not seem to proactively organize, but reacts inconsistently to situations. I am not sure if he is uncomfortable giving instructions to the swimmers (most of whom are older than him), or just wants the swimmers to figure it out on their own.

Sounds like maybe your coach needs a little coaching advise himself. Maybe you could (gently) suggest to him that he re-educate the swimmers on swimming etiquette?

TinaA
September 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
My coach made up a list of "reminders" and sent it out to the whole team. This included: letting everyone finish at the wall, don't jump in front of someone when you are getting in the pool, swim in a circle, and don't breath on people after you finish a hard set. I think these "reminders" came out of past complaints and what she saw from the deck.

ALM
September 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Years ago there I saw an article (probably in SWIM magazine) that discussed lane etiquette. The coach that they interviewed instructed his swimmers to hang on the wall sideways, facing one lane line, so they would take up less space on the wall. I'm probably not describing it well but they would all be hanging on with their right hands, for example, and stacked up one behind the other like dominoes.

ALM
September 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
This article on pool etiquette is an excerpt from "The Complete Book of Swimming" by Dr. Phillip Whitten:

http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/pooletiquette

Bobinator
September 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Cool article jayhawk! All swimmers should be required to read this and sign the dotted line at the bottom of the page! :)

orca1946
September 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
The young coach seems to need some coaching of his own !! Maybe some of you should have a "meeting " with him !

knelson
September 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
All swimmers should be required to read this and sign the dotted line at the bottom of the page! :)

My USA Swimming club does make all swimmers sign a code of conduct. One of the bullet points is that swimmers will "Not impede or interfere with another swimmers [sic] training."

Masters teams and swimmers tend to be a little more laissez faire, but there's really no excuse for poor etiquette.

philoswimmer
September 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Anyone who thinks finishes don't matter much needs to watch this video (ok, it's running, not swimming, but the same principle applies):

Arrogance Personified - YouTube

orca1946
September 2nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
It has ALWAYS amazed me how many runners slow up the last yard or so !!!

Betsy
September 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Along with many others, this is a pet peeve of mine.
As a kid, I swam with a coach who was rigid about this. If everyone in the lane didn't touch the wall, the whole lane started the set over. Sometimes the other lanes got to stop and watch the "bad" lane do it correctly. When I coach, I constantly remind (and sometimes raise my voice) to those who won't move. I have been know to move them to the back of the line so they can experience the frustration of not being able to finish.
As a swimmer, I ask others to move. If they don't, I swim into them the next time. That usually works. Most of my workout friends know I am serious about intervals and reading the clock, so they don't get mad when I run into them.