PDA

View Full Version : "Swimming" The Rhine River

ElaineK
September 2nd, 2011, 05:03 AM
While cruising the Rhine on the River Navigator, my current home away from home, I didn’t want to miss out on the scenery by working out in the gym. So, I killed two birds with one stone by “swimming” the Rhine while up on the top deck. I, of course, would not be allowed to swim the Rhine; the current runs too fast and the water is too cold. Besides, we’re cruising…

This was my dryland “swim” workout, instead:

Warm-up:
Walk laps around the deck for 15 minutes, followed by my favorite Swimmer Magazine shoulder stabilization and dynamic stretching exercises. Finish by setting up my circuit training; attach my stretch cords to the railing on deck.

Main Set:
- Walk 2 laps; fast pace, about 5mph speed.
- Stop and “swim” a 50yd freestyle, 50yd fly and 50yd breaststroke on stretch cords; count strokes to match a typical swimming 50.
- Walk 2 laps fast, stopping on the second lap to grab my Hammer Nutrition water bottle (from Summer Nationals) for sips of water while I walk.
- Stop and drop for 10 military pushups
- Walk 2 laps fast, stopping along the way to grab my camera and snap a shot of the castle.
- Stop and “swim” (same as above)
- Walk 2 laps fast
- Stop and drop for 50 stomach crunches
- Walk 2 laps fast
- Rinse. Repeat.
- Continue routine for desired time period; one hour for me, so I wouldn’t miss my favorite breakfast from the buffet: Muesli with tiny flat squares for bittersweet chocolate:bliss:, topped with fresh fruit and yogurt.

This was my favorite dryland travel workout yet. How about you? What was your favorite dryland workout, when swimming was not an option?

P.S. For photos, check out my blog! (See link below)

Celestial
September 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
I seldom worry about working out while on vacation. Sometimes I'll hit the weight rooms, but not as a rule. I am usually exhausted from all our excursions & too tired to "work out" - and I sleep in too late to get it in before hand! Kudos to you Elaine. Looks like you're having a wonderful time! :agree:

orca1946
September 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Do they have an excercise bike on board? Then:banana: you could do a triathlon on the boat !!

chowsh
September 8th, 2011, 12:31 AM
pssst elaine! don't tell chowmi, but i finally got motivated to open an acct so i could comment on your awsome travel blog! you are also my first test post. now to see if i can figure out how to post on chowmi's blog (couldn't figure it out the other day but i'm blaming the website...:)

Slowswim
September 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
My dog fell in the Rhein a while back and I had to dive in after her. I was cold, fast moving, and dirty. You definitely wouldn't do a workout in there.

ElaineK
September 12th, 2011, 06:10 AM
pssst elaine! don't tell chowmi, but i finally got motivated to open an acct so i could comment on your awsome travel blog! you are also my first test post. now to see if i can figure out how to post on chowmi's blog (couldn't figure it out the other day but i'm blaming the website...:)

Pssst, Chow! Shhhhh; it will be our secret!;)

WOW; so my blog motivated you? Well, I feel honored and flattered! You made my day!! :bliss: I needed that, because I came home from my trip with a cold; thanks to it going around the riverboat and it finally landed with me...

Thank you so much for your compliment and letting me know. I enjoyed writing the blog and feel inspired to continue. Stay tuned; I have a piece I wrote on Lucerne and will post it after I go through my photos. :D

ElaineK
September 12th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Do they have an excercise bike on board? Then:banana: you could do a triathlon on the boat !!

Well, yes, Orca, as a matter of fact, they did! :D

ElaineK
September 12th, 2011, 06:17 AM
My dog fell in the Rhein a while back and I had to dive in after her. I was cold, fast moving, and dirty. You definitely wouldn't do a workout in there.

Ohhhhh noooo, Slow! I'm sorry to hear that; it must have been scary! Those rivers have wicked currents and they are quite cold! What a horrible experience that must have been.

Our hotel in Lucerne was located right on the lake, so I had hoped to go for a swim there, however, I quickly changed my mind when I felt the water. Brrrrrr! Besides, I started coming down with a cold and decided I had better not.

It felt great to finally get back in the pool, yesterday; the morning after my return home. The first couple of laps felt quite strange; almost like I had to learn to swim again. But, once the muscle memory and sensed kicked in, it felt like home again! :bliss: