PDA

View Full Version : Normal masters swimming rates

kyle.kearbey
September 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I am wandering what the normal monthly rate is for a masters program is. My program currently runs 5 days a week and I charge 30 dollars a month. I am looking to up the price, does anyone have any input? What do you charge? What is your schedule? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Chris Stevenson
September 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM
It will also depend on the quality of coaching and the facilities, as well as how many lanes you get, but that's a pretty reasonable rate.

There has been at least one other thread on this topic, too lazy to search for it now...

mrubacky
September 8th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I pay $250 a year. Our team has access to a five lane pool (all five lanes) from 6:30-8 Monday - Friday. Every Wed. we have a coach, all the other days there is a workout that is written by one of the members of the team.

pmccoy
September 8th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I pay something like $20/mo just to be a member of the pool. Masters workouts are very informal and there is no coach. I think the group in Huntsville, charges $40-$45/month but they are coached and the pool is much bigger.

knelson
September 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
My program currently runs 5 days a week and I charge 30 dollars a month.

I think that's an absolute steal.

The masters team I (used to?) swim with charged $65 per month for three 1.5 hour workouts per week. There was also a $25 per year membership fee.

The USA Swimming club I'm swimming with right now charges $165/month for the workout group I'm in. Add onto that a yearly membership fee of $110 and a fundraising fee of $150. This gives me access to 11 workouts per week, but obviously I'm not swimming quite that much!

couldbebetterfly
September 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
The team in the next city is $45 per month and they offer a choice of up to 4 coached workout times per weekday. The more local coached workout group is now $60 for 5 workouts a week (and 2 of those are 4.45pm!).

jaadams1
September 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I know you'll probably want to hunt me with your torch and pitchforks, but our masters group charge a big fat $0.00 to swim with the team. So from my point of view...$30 a month is a lot! :D Just kidding, it's pretty cheap from what I've heard. We have no cost to use the high school (6 lane SCY) pool during the school year (Mon thru Friday 5-7am), and our surplus money from our swim meet in the year is used for lane rental in the summertime at the outdoor LCM pool.

I do pay $39 a month for Y membership and use the lap swim times when I can to either double up or make up a morning that was missed.

tjrpatt
September 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I am wandering what the normal monthly rate is for a masters program is. My program currently runs 5 days a week and I charge 30 dollars a month. I am looking to up the price, does anyone have any input? What do you charge? What is your schedule? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

In my area, Villanova U charges roughly 50 a month for 5 Masters workouts(Tues and thurs 4PM start). But, I just swim there when I am in the area for 6 bucks a practice. 30 bucks a month is a steal epecially if the practices are in the early morning(5:30 to 6AM start) or early evening(after 5PM and so on).

magick17
September 8th, 2011, 08:57 PM
My club in Pittsburgh runs 10 months for $450..that's 4 days a week for 1.5 hours, for the other two months another club offers outdoor at $200 a month

A big masters club around in $40 a month or $5 drop in with 3 morning swims and 2 PM swims offer(your best deal because they really have a great engaged coach)

Another club close by is $15 a month or $5 drop in for 4 days and 1.5 hours..

We seem expensive..but we are used as a fundraiser for the usa club because they won't even have a meet for us! I've tried repeatedly. And we are almost a masters heavy club.

ALM
September 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
The team I swam with in Kansas City used a punch card system. The card was good for 15 punches and cost $60.00. We wrote our names on our cards with permanent marker. We put them into a box on the pool deck and the coach punched them all while we swam. That team offered three morning workouts, three evening workouts, and a Saturday workout each week. The punch card system was especially nice for people who traveled and couldn't always get to the pool on a regular basis.

The team I swim with now (in Florida) charges $42.00 per month, automatically charged to my credit card. It offers morning workouts 5 days per week and evening workouts 4 days per week. There is also a choice of two Saturday morning workouts - one at the pool and one in the Gulf of Mexico.

knelson
September 8th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm always amazed at how cheap some teams are. They must be getting really good deals (or free) pool time which is unheard of here. If you are paying less than $50/month to train with a coached team consider yourself really lucky.

arthur
September 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM
My team is $65/month for 3 practices a week. Two other clubs I know about in Vancouver are $50 for 4 practices and $55 for 5 practices a week but I think both have pay parking.

want2beafish
September 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
We pay $75 per month for coached practices ($61 if we have a child/children on the age group team). I know that's a little steeper than most, but there are twelve coached practices offered per week, Monday through Saturday. There are also several locations of our club around the city/suburbs, and we can attend any of those practices as well. Our pool is a 50M by 25Y pool, long course during the summer and on weekends. The coaching is second to none, too, with workouts individualized to each swimmer's needs and abilities. I consider it money well-spent.

moodyrichardson
September 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Our club charges $65.00 per calendar year. Part of that goes directly to USMS for membership. The other is used for equipment, supplies, and meet fees. The club pays for all the meets we swim. With your fee you get a suit, googles, and cap.

orca1946
September 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Team fee is $35/yr
Pool team membership is $ 185/yr
3 x 1 1/2 hour team sessions / week

coffeegirl
September 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Monday - Friday evenings, 1.5 hours of coached practice. We are both an age-group and masters team. We just raised our rates, $90 a month.

sydned
September 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Three workouts a week, coached by amazing college coaches from our local university. $60 a month, and I would pay twice that! They are amazing!!

taruky
September 11th, 2011, 01:49 AM
$45/ month here. 6 available practices per week, most with a coach. 2 early in morning (5-7:30 am), 3 evenings (7:30-8:30 pm), and Sunday morning 8-10:00 am. I'm happy with pricing.

tjrpatt
September 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Here is the info that I got a new/reopened Masters program in my area.
Practices are only Monday, Friday, and Sunday. I think that 10 workouts for 10 bucks each is insane. In addition, an annual fee of 90 bucks. Programs in my area are scarce. However, I can't see people in my area flocking to this program. The schedule is very inconsistent. In addition, you have to buy a separate punchcard for the lap swimming.

Masters Swimming Fees Fees

10 Master's Coached workouts $100
Punch Card

1 yr unlimited $450
6 mos unlim $230
3 mos unlim $120
1 mos unlim $40

Annual Membership Fee

Adult $90
Sr Citizen $50

swimon90
September 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
25 a month for unlimited coached practices. 12 are available per week.
25 yard (25 lane pool) and 50 M 8 lane (Long course season - in the am we have all 8 lanes in the pm we have 4 and in the noon workout it varies.) This pool is less than a year old and state of the art. It is amazing! :)

bud
September 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM
...If you are paying less than $50/month to train with a coached team consider yourself really lucky.
I agree. Most programs I've seen are usually about $60/mo... and some of those only run 1x/day, 3 days /wk.

If you are getting 5+ day a week access to coached workouts, and multiple time choicess per day, for under $50-60/mo... I'd say you are getting a good deal.

The size of the program really drives the cost though... one extreme example I can offer is Longhorn Aquatics Masters (http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/masters.html)... HUGE membership... big schedule. (Good price, nice facility, but parking is a nightmare.)

:-)