PDA

View Full Version : training for sprints

James
October 13th, 2003, 01:30 PM
does anyone have some good workouts for sprinters? Both for beginners and more advanced.

hoganpsu
October 31st, 2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by James
does anyone have some good workouts for sprinters? Both for beginners and more advanced.

The beginners need to focus more on getting ther feel for the water before they work on their hand speed. Techn. is the more important than anything. For the more advance swimmers. You should do a lot things working on hand speed. Swim w/ your hands close (make a fist), that will force you to feel the water w/ your arms. I have all my sprinters do that at least 3 times a week, durring drill and pull sets. Sprinters need to focus on a lot of things, a good set that I have my sprinters do is 8 broken 50s

12.5 sprint to the middle--5-15 sec. rest
25 sprint working on t he turn--5-15 sec. rest
12.5 sprint to the wall working on the finish

at the end of the broken 50 rest about 20 seconds.

I have a lot more, if you need anymore just email me, swimsofast15@hotmail.com

James
October 31st, 2003, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your advice. The fact that I workout in a 14 yard pool will be good for this workout, not much here in northern PA. I swim my first event in Feb. hopefully I will be ready. Thanks again.

James

hoganpsu
October 31st, 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by James
Thank you for your advice. The fact that I workout in a 14 yard pool will be good for this workout, not much here in northern PA. I swim my first event in Feb. hopefully I will be ready. Thanks again.

James

I just got back from Philly and State College. I lived in State College for 4 years, I swam up at Penn State. PA is a great state

swimr4life
January 8th, 2004, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hoganpsu

a good set that I have my sprinters do is 8 broken 50s

12.5 sprint to the middle--5-15 sec. rest
25 sprint working on t he turn--5-15 sec. rest
12.5 sprint to the wall working on the finish

at the end of the broken 50 rest about 20 seconds.

I LOVE THAT SET! I'm going to use that this summer when I coach my summer league team. I'm going to tell my coach about it too. Thanks!

giper
February 24th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Those are a good start for building yourself up your sprinting ability. Once you have built a solid base you need to push yourself with quality swims (fast swims with enough time for recovery to continue your fast swim times)

For 25, 50 and 100 yard sprints you will want to use a 1:8 work to rest ratio

swim 25's on the 1:30 (1 set of 10-20 25's)
swim 50's on the 3:00 to 5:00 (10-20 50's)
swim 100's on the 5:00 (5-10 100's)

The rest part is the most crucial aspect of your training. If you do not allow your body to recover and rebuild it's natural energy storage you will not be able to swim as fast. Also as your body trains at this higher intensity, it adapts to the training, becoming more effiecient and you are able to swim/train harder which will lead to faster times. There is no way to go faster without training fast. You should only swim these intense workouts one to two times a week. More than that and you will most likely injure yourself. Also if you can participate in a weight training program I would highly suggest that to improve your power. Be careful, if you do lift weights make sure that your yardage is not too high. I hope this helps.

Beards247
February 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Personally I hate fist swimming. But I have never tried it while sprinting, that could be interesting... Not a big fan of zoomers either unless I am working on power kicking.

We just put sprinting into our practices, and we think it is improving our feel of the water - and our times suggest something is getting better.

1) 6-10 35s on 2-3 mins rest
- 25 with a full speed turn to the flags. the other 15 yards focuses on stroke (but easy) - makes a full 50.
2) 6-10 100s 3-4 mins rest.
- first 50 steady, comfortable strong stroke but not so much to tire yourself out. 3rd 25 all out sprint, final 25 nice and easy.

With either of these two sets you should be allowing enough recovery to get your breathing under control. Your muscles will feel tired, but that is okay to us.

After these sets we make sure to do some stroke/and kick work, focusing on long, full strokes - 500 to 1000. The points are stroke work and to reduce/remove any lactic acid.

Our goal is to hit top speed, but also to train recovery. It is amazing how quickly the body reacts to this type of training. I swear I feel a difference within a week or two - And I swam to PB's this weekend - I am guessing this training helped.

Best,
~CB