PDA

View Full Version : Why to race?

pwb
September 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Neat article -- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/health/nutrition/20best.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&smid=fb-share -- and something I imagine we've all experienced as competitors -- racing makes us faster.

I guess the trick is to get seeded next to someone who you don't believe is actually too much faster than you, but who has strategically sandbagged their time by about 2%.

thewookiee
September 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
I guess the trick is to get seeded next to someone who you don't believe is actually too much faster than you, but who has strategically sandbagged their time by about 2%.

Kurt Dickson?

That Guy
September 21st, 2011, 05:01 PM
˙ʇunoɯɐ ɹǝʍoן ǝɥʇ s,ʇı ʇɐɥʇ buıʌǝıןǝq 'ʇı sʇɟıן ǝʇǝןɥʇɐ ǝɥʇ puɐ 'ʇunoɯɐ pɹoɔǝɹ pןɹoʍ ɐ uǝʌǝ ǝqʎɐɯ 'ʇɥbıǝʍ ɹǝıʌɐǝɥ ɐ ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ s,ʇı ʇnq ˙ǝɹoɟǝq pǝʇɟıן ǝʌ,ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ʇɥbıǝʍ ɐ ʇɟıן oʇ ʇnoqɐ ǝɹ,ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʇǝןɥʇɐ ǝɥʇ sןןǝʇ ɥɔɐoɔ ǝɥʇ ˙buıʇɟıןʇɥbıǝʍ uı buıɥʇ ɟo ʇɹos sıɥʇ ɟo pɹɐǝɥ ǝʌ,ı

jaadams1
September 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm apparently the only one who can't figure out how to write upside down. Maybe being a maintinence mechanic has made me dumb! :afraid:

KatieK
September 21st, 2011, 07:36 PM
In swimming, I notice a pretty loose correlation between effort and speed. There's a HUGE correlation between speed and a well-matched pacing buddy, even on a recovery set at masters.

I hope that as I mature as a swimmer, I'll learn to get better at pacing myself on my own, but right now the difference is dramatic. About 0:07/100 yards with the same perceived effort.

It would be interesting to compare my heart rate for the two different scenarios to see if my effort is actually greater with a pace buddy, even though I don't feel it. I suspect the difference has a lot to do with form--I can literally *see* how well I'm stroking when I'm swimming with someone else.

Chris Stevenson
September 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
I'm apparently the only one who can't figure out how to write upside down.

əlƃooƃ əsn noʎ uɐɔ

Personally, I find it even more annoying than others find the whole blue font thing...or emoticons... :)

The article was interesting. I wonder how it fits in with coaches who are notoriously "fast" in their hand timing of swimmers?

pwb
September 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
˙ʇunoɯɐ ɹǝʍoן ǝɥʇ s,ʇı ʇɐɥʇ buıʌǝıןǝq 'ʇı sʇɟıן ǝʇǝןɥʇɐ ǝɥʇ puɐ 'ʇunoɯɐ pɹoɔǝɹ pןɹoʍ ɐ uǝʌǝ ǝqʎɐɯ 'ʇɥbıǝʍ ɹǝıʌɐǝɥ ɐ ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ s,ʇı ʇnq ˙ǝɹoɟǝq pǝʇɟıן ǝʌ,ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ʇɥbıǝʍ ɐ ʇɟıן oʇ ʇnoqɐ ǝɹ,ʎǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʇǝןɥʇɐ ǝɥʇ sןןǝʇ ɥɔɐoɔ ǝɥʇ ˙buıʇɟıןʇɥbıǝʍ uı buıɥʇ ɟo ʇɹos sıɥʇ ɟo pɹɐǝɥ ǝʌ,ı

əlƃooƃ əsn noʎ uɐɔ

STOP IT. NOW.:bitching:

That Guy
September 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
:lmao:

jaadams1
September 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
:lmao:

At least he hasn't figured out how to make the smilies upside-down!

orca1946
September 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Up side - it must be a back stroker !!!!!! :bump::D

steinfaust
September 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
There's a HUGE correlation between speed and a well-matched pacing buddy, even on a recovery set at masters.

Great article link. I also totally agree with the perceived effort thing, and have always wished i could have a graphic or line of my personal best (except properly split, if my p.b. wasn't split properly) visible along the bottom of the pool.

aquageek
September 22nd, 2011, 09:10 AM

Word. Neither cute nor interesting.

knelson
September 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm hoping upside down typing day was sort of a one day thing--kind of like talk like a pirate day.

The funny thing is it's not that difficult to read. It just slows you down a bit.

That Guy
September 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
that guy ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

whew thanks mysterious stranger, all the blood was rushing to my head. never did see who flipped me over while I was commenting on Fort's blog the other day...

orca1946
September 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
After reading on my head ,I felt as if I was stuck in a loooooooooooog flip turn

nkfrench
September 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Back to the article -- the last sentence is so important.

A former coach gave me some "coach's watch" slightly optimistic times from a practice set thinking that would motivate me to go faster in a taper race.

I had a best time at the meet but went slower than the time he told me I'd done in practice. It was demoralizing. I always had doubts in him after learning he fudged my time.

__steve__
September 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
I bet this "central governer" trick might also have negative side effects too. Once the cyclist finds out the truth, he will be cautious the next time. I wonder the outcome if the rider was tricked into thinking he was racing under sandbag conditions but really wasn't.:afraid:

fatboy
September 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I'm apparently the only one who can't figure out how to write upside down. Maybe being a maintinence mechanic has made me dumb! :afraid:

ɹǝɥʇıǝ ʇno ʇı ǝɹnƃıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ ı

JimRude
September 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
To race is to live.