September 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM
The kicking lane is for kicking
Work your legs
Go fast
Make em burn
It's not blow off chatty Kathy time.
You should be gasping too hard to carry on a conversation
Kicking is the foundation for swimming

What kinda kick sets have you made lately?
What sort of times & sets have you done?

the breastroke lane

The Middle Distance Lane

The Backstroke Lane

The Butterfly Lane

The SDK Lane

The Taper Lane

The Distance Lane

The IM Lane

The Sprint Free Lane

The Pool Deck

jaadams1
September 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Ande...here's one for you:

I do "occasionally" work on my kick at practices, but whenever I do a kicking set near the end of a 3000-4000 yard practice, I tend to get cramps either in the hamstrings, or calves.
Do you think I should just start off with the kick set right after warmup, or is there anything else that could be done differently.
I usually always do flutter kick with a board, and I'm not sure if streamline kicking would be any less stressful vs. kicking w/ a board.

Thoughts?

swimon90
September 24th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I do have to say that after years of not making 8x100s scy kick on 2 minutes I made them the other day with 10-20 seconds rest on each. I know it is not very fast but for me it was a swim happy moment! :)

ande
September 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Ande...here's one for you:
I do "occasionally" work on my kick at practices, but whenever I do a kicking set near the end of a 3000 - 4000 yard practice, I tend to get cramps either in the hamstrings, or calves.
Do you think I should just start off with the kick set right after warmup, or is there anything else that could be done differently.
I usually always do flutter kick with a board, and I'm not sure if streamline kicking would be any less stressful vs. kicking w/ a board.
Thoughts?

Not sure why cramps happen, I rarely get them, but got calf cramps in the last 1000 of the 10k I swam on Sat Aug 20, 2011. Maybe it's a nutrition thing. Some of the guys I train with occasionally get them.
Consider kicking sooner in practice or drinking a sport drink with electrolytes or eating a bananna before or during practice. Sometimes cramps happen when swimmers train further and harder than they usually do. If you're increasing your daily average, slowly work your way up, instead of jumping large amounts like:
3k to 4k or
4k to 5k

Kick with and with out a board.
Have kicking goals for each season.

ande
September 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I do have to say that after years of not making 8x100s scy kick on 2 minutes I made them the other day with 10-20 seconds rest on each. I know it is not very fast but for me it was a swim happy moment! :)

congratulations!
keep working on getting faster,
try 8 on 1:55 or 1:50, maybe you can work you way to
8 on 1:45 or 1:40

osterber
September 26th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Fun kicking sets:

* 30 minute kick for distance
* Progressive 50's kick:
1 x 50 on :60
1 x 50 on :59
1 x 50 on :58
..etc.. see how low you can go.

-Rick

smontanaro
September 26th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Fun kicking sets: ...

An oxymoron if ever there was one. :-)

Skip

ande
September 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
today we did

10 x 50 kick on 1:00 best average
did no board fly kick, some SDK then kicked on my side arms at my side
held 34's

knelson
September 27th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Do you think I should just start off with the kick set right after warmup, or is there anything else that could be done differently

I cramp up sometimes when I kick hard at the end of practice, too. Maybe rather than just starting into a hard kick set work into it by doing an easy or build 100-200 yard kick first.

__steve__
September 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
did no board fly kick, Is this the same as dolphin kicking with arms at the sides?

Couroboros
September 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Natalie Coughlin tweeted today:

"Got to write the workout this PM. Dropped the hammer w/ a good underH2O set. My teammates hate me right now. Hehe, I thought it was good! :)"

I wonder what the set was! Definitely had to be dolphin kicking...

Allen Stark
October 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM
congratulations!
keep working on getting faster,
try 8 on 1:55 or 1:50, maybe you can work you way to
8 on 1:45 or 1:40

Also congrats to swimon90,good job:cheerleader:,but it strikes me that Ande's response is kind of a distance swimmers response-to get better lower the interval.Another way to get better is, now that you can make the interval, start kicking faster so that you can get more rest so that you can kick even faster.

rtodd
October 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
I've got some serious left hip pain. the only thing I can think of is I have started alot of flutter kicking with a board. I NEVER EVER kick with a board, but have recently started and have been doing a fair amount. Could this be leading to my pain? I hope so, otherwise I have absolutely no idea and that makes me nervous. I have not been doing anything else not in my normal routine.

__steve__
October 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I bet it is the cause. Ever tried the snorkel ?