PDA

View Full Version : USAS club stats

pwb
October 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'd appreciate input from anyone who is engaged with large USAS clubs (e.g., 300+ swimmers) and might be able to share some stats. I'm trying to capture data like the following:

Total number of swimmers
Group level numbers (e.g., entry level group up to national level group)

# swimmers per group
Coach to swimmer ratio (in particular, how this varies from entry level to age group elite to national level)

Then, ideally, some measures of performance like

# of Trials qualifiers
# of National qualifiers
# of USAS Junior National Qualifiers
# of Sectional qualifiers
# of “age group championship” qualifiers, such as

State Championships
Next level / "fast" age group meet (e.g., a lot of Arizona kids consider Far Westerns to be that first "regional" level competition)

I'd love particularly to hear from clubs that both aspire to produce national caliber swimmers AND to provide competitive swimming options for all levels.

Feel free to PM me or respond here. Thanks in advance for any help.

swimshark
October 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I'd appreciate input from anyone who is engaged with large USAS clubs (e.g., 300+ swimmers) and might be able to share some stats. I'm trying to capture data like the following:

Total number of swimmers

# swimmers per group
Coach to swimmer ratio (in particular, how this varies from entry level to age group elite to national level)

# of Trials qualifiers
# of National qualifiers

State Championships
Next level / "fast" age group meet (e.g., a lot of Arizona kids consider Far Westerns to be that first "regional" level competition)

I'd love particularly to hear from clubs that both aspire to produce national caliber swimmers AND to provide competitive swimming options for all levels.

Wow. I'd love to answer but my team is spread out over 3 states so it's hard to know exactly.

I know we have over 1600 swimmers (600 are part of my group). We are maxed out with swimmers at this point.

There are 40 kids in the Senior Prep/Elite program at my facility. Probably close to 150 for all the facilities.

Right now we have 15 qualified for Trials (2 are from my group). Four went to Nationals over the summer, at least 12 went to Super Sectionals. Our first big meet is Tom Dolan Invitational in Dec. That's the first one we taper for and send most of our kids to.

aquageek
October 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Total number of swimmers - around 600
Group level numbers (e.g., entry level group up to national level group) - - 4 levels for 10/u, 2 for "teen fit",3 for 11/12, 4 for 13/14, 3 for 15/18, 1 elite Olympic training program for typically post college swimmers
# swimmers per group - most groups have between 30-50 kids. The top level 13/14 and 15/18 groups are much smaller, around 20 or so.
Coach to swimmer ratio (in particular, how this varies from entry level to age group elite to national level) -always 1 head and 1 ass't on deck per group. Elite team is it's own gig and has about 12 total swimmers.
# of Trials qualifiers - a dozen, give or take, two dozen if you include team elite as they are all qualifiers. A lot of our kids who go to college still swim for us at national meets. Some switch to lesser teams, like Texas.
# of National qualifiers- I'm guessing at around 10
# of USAS Junior National Qualifiers - again a guess, maybe 12-20
# of Sectional qualifiers - lots
# of “age group championship” qualifiers, such as State Championships - I would say around 75-100
Next level / "fast" age group meet (e.g., a lot of Arizona kids consider Far Westerns to be that first "regional" level competition) - similar to sectionals

This is all my best guess. Due to our size often we will have kids who qualify for state meets with only one or two times. In that case they don't go to the state meet but to another meet.

Speedo
October 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Some switch to lesser teams, like Texas.Ouch.

JimRude
October 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Total number of swimmers

# swimmers per group

# of Trials qualifiers
# of National qualifiers

State Championships

:2cents: I would send a note to the head coaches and board presidents of some of the larger clubs, and you will likely get a fast response, since they track these stats quite closely.

Mission Viejo
SwimMAC
Swim Atlanta
etc

swimshark
October 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
:2cents: I would send a note to the head coaches and board presidents of some of the larger clubs, and you will likely get a fast response, since they track these stats quite closely.

Mission Viejo
SwimMAC
Swim Atlanta
etc

Ahem, Curl Burke. :)

JimRude
October 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Ahem, Curl Burke. :)

C-B is an etc.:D

Chris Stevenson
October 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
C-B is an etc.:D

Rather less than that, I think. :bolt:

swimshark
October 5th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Rather less than that, I think. :bolt:

Thank you, Chris.

Curl is ranked as one of the top age group teams. It should never be an "etc."

aquageek
October 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thank you, Chris.

Curl is ranked as one of the top age group teams. It should never be an "etc."

Just remember, even second place is the first loser.

That Guy
October 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM

What's #12 then? (http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/db3010ba-581b-49a5-90f5-1cf214f95df9/team%20scores.pdf)

swimshark
October 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Not quite for Curl

NCSA Junior Nationals

- Combined Team Scores -
Place Team Points
1 Curl Burke Swim Club 866
2 Nova of Virginia Aquatics, Inc 598. 50
3 Rockville Montgomery Swim Club 586
4 Aquajets Swim Team 493
5 First Colony Swim Team, Inc. 451

Meanwhile back home in Maryland, the Curl-Burke Age Groupers won
the PVS 14&under Championships.

Junior Olympics

Combined Team Scores
Place Team Points
1 Curl-Burke Swim Club CUBU-PV 5496
2 Rockville Montgomery Swim Club RMSC-PV 5269
3 Machine Aquatics MACH-PV 1459.5
4 The Fish FISH-PV 1271.5
5 Sea Devil Swimming SDS-PV 973.5

thewookiee
October 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
What's #12 then? (http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/db3010ba-581b-49a5-90f5-1cf214f95df9/team%20scores.pdf)

:rofl: That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are, that's funny.

aquageek
October 6th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Page 2 is more to my liking.