PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and broad shoulders

DareDavid
October 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hi, I'm new. :)

It's often said swimming makes your shoulders broader.
Does they come from a bigger upper body bone structure or due to prominent deltoid muscles?

For me it's hard to believe that swimming in the developing age can make bone bigger.

Are there any real swimmers who got broader shoulder from swimming after the developing age?

I'm 23 years old with narrow shoulder and I'd like to know if swimming can help me.

Thanks!

Mike137
October 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Just swim for a year and the shoulders will follow.

Who need big shoulder anyway? It just makes it hard to find shirts that fit. The only tees that I can find in the stores that fit my shoulders hangs like a Mumu at the waist.:)

couldbebetterfly
October 10th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Who need big shoulder anyway? It just makes it hard to find shirts that fit. The only tees that I can find in the stores that fit my shoulders hang like a Mumu at the waist.:)

Glad its not just us women who have this problem. I have to buy tops based on shoulder/back size rather than chest size.

Big shoulders are an advantage for carrying backpacks or small children :)

ande
October 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
zoipoi asked if swimming would give him bigger shoulders
a few responded
link to shoulder thread

swoomer
October 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I think that you're either born with broad shoulders or not. Many swimmers seem to have this body type because their natural-born shoulders make them stronger in the water and thus, they pursue the sport.

With that being said, even people with narrow shoulders will develop pectorals, deltoids, triceps, and back muscles by virtue of swimming, so in a sense, swimming will build the appearance of a developed upper body. (Broad shoulders)

Add dry land training, and the upper body will strengthen and shoulders will appear even larger. Maybe this is a chicken/egg question!

orca1946
October 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM
A lot of athletes choose their sport based on success in it. Body type will some times dictate that sport. Sumo vs. marathon

ddl
October 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hello,
Here is an interesting discussion about wide/broad shoulders on this forum a while ago: LINK.