PDA

View Full Version : 11-14 yr old workouts

gt_mike
October 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I am thinking of taking on my first "head coaching" position after years of "learn to swim" programs and helping with my daughters teams, judging etc. Is there any good reads on coaching basics? I need to read how I should set up my program, workouts, expectations etc.

pwb
October 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Not 100% sure the information is here, but start with ASCA's site -- http://www.swimmingcoach.org/. Next, try to find coaches from other clubs in your area that you know are good and ask them. Better yet, pick the clubs you admire most in the country, figure out who their age group coaches are and email them directly.

Redbird Alum
October 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
If you are going to be coaching USS, then there is a coaching certification class that covers many of the topics you brought up. It includes nutrition, biomechanics, age-appropriate ideas for dealing with kids, gender-specifics, dealing with parents/parent organizations, and starting up/running a club.

If you actually go thopugh all the materials (instead of just reading for the test) you will get a pretty good feel for what you're up against.

Congratulations on taking the plunge. Kids are, after all, our future!