PDA

View Full Version : Pull Times

gaash
October 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
How fast do you guys pull (free/fly?) Seems a lot of talk about kick time, but not much about pull time.

arthur
October 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Without paddles 3-4 seconds slower per 100 than full stroke free. With large paddles 4-5 seconds faster per hundred.

pwb
October 15th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'm slower pulling with a buoy alone versus swimming, and even slower if I put on paddles and a buoy. I tend not to do a lot of pulling in workout for two reasons:

I feel like pulling forces a flatter stroke and I get more power from rotating and reaching,
Pulling doesn't allow me to work on incorporating some semblance of a kick into my freestyle, an area that I know needs improvement

When I do pull, I either use it as recovery efforts or use it to focus on hand entry into the water.

I do like swimming with paddles alone, though because it rules out both of those reasons above. I'm still slower swimming with paddles versus swimming alone, though.

jaadams1
October 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I feel like pulling with paddles is like doing weights in the water, and I rock n roll my pulling sets. I can usually maintain as fast or usually faster with my paddles and buoy vs. swimming alone. I do this more at the end of a workout when my legs start to give out, I'll throw on the gear and get in another good set to rest the legs.

knelson
October 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM
With just a buoy I'm very close to normal swimming on aerobic type sets. Add paddles and I'm at least two seconds per 100 faster. I can't really sprint with paddles, though.

gdanner
October 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Doing free, I hold about 2-3 seconds faster each 100 with paddles and buoy.

rxleakem
October 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I feel like pulling with paddles is like doing weights in the water, and I rock n roll my pulling sets.

I agree. I figure with the paddles on I can focus on the power portion of the stroke and help to skip the weight room. With a buoy only, I am able to stay about 5 seconds slower than my regular swim.

I usually use paddles once a week on longer sets, but I use the buoy on some sort of set at all practices.

...mike...

philoswimmer
October 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
You might also be interested in this related poll/thread: http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16707&

I've stopped using a pull buoy all together -- I agree that it tends to flatten my stroke and reinforces my no-kicking habit, when I really need to be working on kicking more. But after years of avoiding paddles because of shoulder fears, I now think paddles help with arm strength and hand position. Although I still try not to go too hard with them (so as not to get injured), I do think I am faster with paddles than without. Add fins and I really fly along. :-)

swimshark
October 16th, 2011, 06:43 AM
With paddles I'm about 2-3 sec slower per hundred. I just can't seem to get my arms to move faster with them on. We had them on one day in practice and the coach told me to go fast with them. I finished and he said "that was fast?!". I took the paddles off and said "no, this is fast" as I pushed off for a nice sprint.

With a pull buoy I don't see a difference in time as I don't normally kick either.

ALM
October 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Reading all of your responses just confirms that I am the worst kicker in the world and that my kick seriously slows me down. I am 10 seconds FASTER, per hundred, with a pull buoy (no paddles).

couldbebetterfly
October 16th, 2011, 04:20 PM
With a pull buoy I don't see a difference in time as I don't normally kick either.

+1 Although I get really lazy on my turns with a buoy, so end up about a second or so slower per 100.

Fresnoid
October 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Reading all of your responses just confirms that I am the worst kicker in the world and that my kick seriously slows me down. I am 10 seconds FASTER, per hundred, with a pull buoy (no paddles).

I don't think that means your kicking sucks, it means you have a lot of potential improvement in your normal swimming technique.

I am the world's worst kicker. My ankles simply do not bend and I get no propulsion from my feet. However, the occasional flapping of my legs when I swim does keep my body balanced so my arms can do their job.

Using a pull buoy mean additional drag and some buoyancy. If that makes you faster, your body position when swimming may need to be examined.

nkfrench
October 17th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I was able to predict meet times from pull set repeat times using large paddles (freestyle), not so much on the other strokes.

Fenella
October 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.svl.ch/PullBuoy/

I swim faster with a pull buoy and with a visibly more relaxed stroke ... been pondering why since the thread started

This article suggests it could be because I raise my head too much to breathe when not using a pull buoy - gonna give it a try :dunno:

EdC
October 20th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Usually 1 to 2 strokes faster per 25 meters. Most of my workouts are pulls with paddles and without and kick laps.