PDA

View Full Version : Seminar that focuses on technique?

martin_05
October 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've gone from being out of breath after attempting to swim 25m to now doing 1500m non-stop (easy pace) and feeling like I can keep going. I've accomplished this in two and a half months. Needless to say, I am very happy.

OK, now, I am kind of a perfectionist (which can be a miserable existence). I hate the idea of putting too many hours practicing something the wrong way. That's why I was wondering if there someone might know of something like a technique clinic (preferably in the Los Angeles area) that I could attend and have more of a one on one focus.

The Masters program I am in is great and has obviously gotten me very far, but during any given practice there are 20+ swimmers in the water. I feel that I need a little more focused instruction in order to ensure that I am not racking-up the miles with less-than-ideal technique and creating habits that will be hard to fix later on. I am not complaining about my program at all. It's great.

Thanks.

lynnwa
October 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Check out Total Immersion's web site. They have these seminars on the weekends all over the country and great instructors. They are very good and will help. Good luck!

Allen Stark
October 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Most coaches will give you an individual stroke evaluation for a small fee.Ask your coach.

Glenn
October 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Check out SCAQ- Southern California Aquatics

www.swim.net

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Before I started up coaching masters swimming, I used to attend swim coaches clinics. You do not have to be a coach to attend one, although you might need to join The American Swim Coaches Assn. (ASCA).
Once you're a member, you will receive and have access to more coaching material than you can possibly imagine.

ASCA conducts coaching clinics all over the country. Their World Clinic in September is excellent.
If you love swim technique and debating the pros and cons of various training philosophy, absolutely nothing compares to this experience.

I wish more of our "thinking swimmers" would take time for a weekend or even a day clinic.
And why not take along their coach! It could motivate potential new coaches. And help address our need for more qualified and knowledgeable coaches.

https://www.swimmingcoach.org

USMS local organizations are beginning to hold their own regional masters coaches clinics now that the USMS Coaches Certification is relaunched.
Check with your LMSC's Coaches Chair and find out what your LMSC is planning for your local coaches.

I attended the PACIFIC Masters EXCEL Clinic organized by Coach Cokie Lepinski last summer. I registered as a swimmer/coach to benefit from both viewpoints.
Fantastic weekend!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Here is the next clinic opportunity to learn some GREAT swim technique.

The FINIS-ASCA 8th Annual Eastern Age Group Coaches Conference

http://www.swimmingcoach.org/pdf/Eastern%20Age%20Group%20Clinic%202011.pdf

I'd definitely attend if I lived back east!