PDA

View Full Version : NYT Alex Meyer article

pwb
October 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Great story & coverage http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/22/sports/olympics/walden-pond-to-olympics-alex-meyer-thrives-open-water.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=sports

TRYM_Swimmer
October 22nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the link!

gdanner
October 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Great for Alex and our Niagara region. There aren't many international success stories from swimmers who have ties to upstate/western NY. I had the pleasure of swimming against him a couple times when he was an age grouper and was somewhat reintroduced to him at USA-S OW Nats this past summer (hadn't seen him since he was in hs, didn't recognize him with a buzzcut).

Go Alex!

Munatones
October 23rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Alex has the (1) demeanor (a cool profound intellectual approach), (2) the educational pedigree (Harvard University), (3) the venue (Serpentine in Hyde Park near Buckingham Palace), (4) the public's attention (over 50,000 people will watch the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim on August 9th 2012 for women and August 10th for men from the shorelines), (5) the training ground (Walden Pond + Harvard's Blodgett Pool), (6) the sport (the "unknown" marathon swim where physicality meets endurance and tactics), (7) the accessibility (near the media capital of America) and (8) the genuine potential to stand on the podium that will undoubtedly continue to attract the attention of the media leading up to the 2012 London Olympics. But if/when he wins the gold...watch out!

MaryR
October 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
The article was awesome to see in the actual print version of the paper-- The first picture was printed as a panoramic image lengthwise covering the entire first page of the the sports section (I don't know if I said this right but you had to flip the paper sideways to look at it). I don't remember the Times doing this before in the sports page.