PDA

View Full Version : Once a week

Slowswim
October 24th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I found a lap pool near where I live in Heidelberg Germany. The problem is its open air (not heated) and closed from 1 October to 31 May. The only other pool I've found has a designated swim time that I can get to from 7am - 8am on Friday.

Am I wasting my time swimming one hour per week until the outdoor pool opens next Summer or is any swimming better than none? Mentally, I know it is, but I'm talking physically/physiologically.

Debugger
October 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I found a lap pool near where I live in Heidelberg Germany. The problem is its open air (not heated) and closed from 1 October to 31 May. The only other pool I've found has a designated swim time that I can get to from 7am - 8am on Friday.

Am I wasting my time swimming one hour per week until the outdoor pool opens next Summer or is any swimming better than none? Mentally, I know it is, but I'm talking physically/physiologically.
If you are a competitive swimmer than you do waste your time. But from another hand 1 time a week is better than nothing.
Perhaps you could find some gym and train on a dry land? That won't preserve your swimming technique but will keep your body fit.

robertsrobson
October 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
As masters swimmers we have to play with the hand we're dealt with from time to time.

I'd use that time for technique and sprint work. Use the gym and other forms of exercise (e.g. running, circuits) to maintain general conditioning.

What I would suggest is that plodding up and down for that hour doing aerobic work would be a bit of a waste of time. However, from a health perspective, it all helps.

Slowswim
October 25th, 2011, 07:04 AM
As masters swimmers we have to play with the hand we're dealt with from time to time.

I'd use that time for technique and sprint work. Use the gym and other forms of exercise (e.g. running, circuits) to maintain general conditioning.

What I would suggest is that plodding up and down for that hour doing aerobic work would be a bit of a waste of time. However, from a health perspective, it all helps.

What would be the best technical skills that I should concentrate on? What distance is the best for sprints given an hour a week, 25m, 50m, ..., 200m? Would all-out sprints cause more damage than 80 percent efforts?

Should I still swim "all three strokes" to balance the stress on my shoulders or should I concentrate on free while using dryland training to achieve muscle balance?