PDA

View Full Version : Gear Updates

swimslick
October 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hi there! I've recently joined USMS after about 16-17 years out of any serious training. I'm feeling pretty good in the pool so far but out of the loop otherwise. Can anyone from eras past fill me in on the following subjects:

1. Racing Suits (female) - OK so the last racing suit I owned was a Speedo S2000. God I HATED that thing. I'm glad newer suits seem to have a less strangling neckline, but now they have legs. Makes me want to get a chin strap for my swim cap. How are those comfortable? Do you still get wedgies? ANYWAY....what do you all wear for racing these days in terms of small meets? I assume a technical knee suit for big meets, but are knee suits the norm even for smaller meets? Where can I find a paper suit....lol?

2. Caps/Goggles - Two caps.... really? Seems headache inducing, but silicone seems to be in vs. latex now. Do my swedish goggle strap tails cause that much drag? Or is it more to secure goggles (which I've never had a problem with)? Do people even still wear swedes any more? I see none on my team, so I'm assuming goggles have gone all techy now too.

3. Paddles/Fins/Bouys - I still have my old square Han's paddles, Zoomer fins, and white bouy with straps. No one has looked at me funny yet....but everyone has cooler looking stuff haha. Is there anything better out there that I should try?

Finally, what do they call the new fangled back to breast turn? Looks fancy and I need to learn it. Also the underwater pull with fly kick? If someone could link me to some good vids or tutorials that would be super.

Thanks in advance!

FireRox21
October 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Hi there! I've recently joined USMS after about 16-17 years out of any serious training. I'm feeling pretty good in the pool so far but out of the loop otherwise. Can anyone from eras past fill me in on the following subjects:

1. Racing Suits (female) - OK so the last racing suit I owned was a Speedo S2000. God I HATED that thing. I'm glad newer suits seem to have a less strangling neckline, but now they have legs. Makes me want to get a chin strap for my swim cap. How are those comfortable? Do you still get wedgies? ANYWAY....what do you all wear for racing these days in terms of small meets? I assume a technical knee suit for big meets, but are knee suits the norm even for smaller meets? Where can I find a paper suit....lol?

2. Caps/Goggles - Two caps.... really? Seems headache inducing, but silicone seems to be in vs. latex now. Do my swedish goggle strap tails cause that much drag? Or is it more to secure goggles (which I've never had a problem with)? Do people even still wear swedes any more? I see none on my team, so I'm assuming goggles have gone all techy now too.

3. Paddles/Fins/Bouys - I still have my old square Han's paddles, Zoomer fins, and white bouy with straps. No one has looked at me funny yet....but everyone has cooler looking stuff haha. Is there anything better out there that I should try?

Finally, what do they call the new fangled back to breast turn? Looks fancy and I need to learn it. Also the underwater pull with fly kick? If someone could link me to some good vids or tutorials that would be super.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome back! And don't worry; I'm still using my gear from 15 years ago.

1. Tech suits: I gave up on this one. Last tech suit I ever owned was the Speedo Aquablade that was waytoosmall and was beyond uncomfortable. At most of the meets I've been to here in So Cal, the knee length tech suits are the most popular. As I am flat broke however, I just wear a snug workout suit.

2. Caps/Goggles: One latex cap for me. Always. And I'm still wearing my 15 y/o Swedes, though I have upgraded to a bungee strap. I can't stand the high tech goggles. Just too much rubber/plastic/etc.

3. Pool Toys: Still sporting the original blue Speedo rectangles, faded yellow TYR kickboard and faded blue bouy. Though I have been in the market for some new, updated fins. Maybe you will have better luck getting gear answers on here than I have.

4.The Back to Breast Turn: Beats me! I'm still trying to get my knees to tuck fast enough. It does look pretty cool though, just not for me. Underwater pull/dolphin kick: once you get the hang of it, you'll love it!!!

robertsrobson
October 25th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Thanks in advance!

1. I wouldn't worry about it until you've done a few meets and believe that a tech suit is worth investing in. Which may be never.

2. Two caps? What's all that about? I wear silicone, much more comfortable than latex. Google straps are not a big issue, but a lot of people put their goggles on first and cover the straps.

3. I wouldn't sweat over equipment either. Most of the design changes are for marketing purposes, not to make us swim faster, IMO.

4. Not sure what this is! Do you have a video you can link to?

5. Have fun!

Rob

swimslick
October 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the updates! I know its all fairly trivial stuff but as a new masters swimmer I feel it is my duty to spend some of my expendable income on new gear haha! It will actually be a first for me....since some of my old gear probably counts as stolen goods from my old local pool....whoops.

Rob - I'll have to take some time to look it up, but I'm talking about what looks like a "touch n flip" back to breast turn. It kinda looks like what used to be the back to back turn before flip turns were allowed in backstroke. Back when I competed everyone just did a purely open turn from back to breast. I'll have to get back to you!

pmccoy
October 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
It kinda looks like what used to be the back to back turn before flip turns were allowed in backstroke. Back when I competed everyone just did a purely open turn from back to breast. I'll have to get back to you!Probably something like this: Lochte Back To Breast Transition Turn - YouTube

One of the guys on my team showed me how to do this but I never got comfortable enough in practice to do it at a meet. I also do not breathe very well on backstroke (getting better - it's a water up the nose phobia I'm getting over) so I kind of like that open turn breath on the wall.

swimslick
October 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Yes, thats it! Thanks! Turns out its called the "crossover" or "modified roll" turn. Found a helpful written tutorial here:

http://coachpete.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/backstroke-to-breaststroke-transition-turn-in-the-im/

Allen Stark
October 25th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Also the underwater pull with fly kick?

Are you talking about the single dolphin kick allowed in the breaststroke pulldown or the underwater dolphin kicks done with the other strokes?
Also regarding caps,I wear 2 over my goggles.Over the goggles lessens the danger of losing the goggles on the dive.I wear a latex cap underneath the silicon cap as I find silicone caps are more prone to sliding off if directly on my head.

couldbebetterfly
October 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
At our local meets there is a mix of workout suits and tech-suits. I wear a kneeskin for racing, because it holds more wobble in than a standard tank.

I prefer a silicone cap, for me I just wear one, but keep this one just for racing. They tend to stretch out a bit with use and can slide off on starts and turns after a while. They're not too $$ so try out whatever combination works best.

I have a 12 year old kickboard, about 9 year old pullbuoy, 8 year old fins and some small paddles. They still do the job, so why change?

As fas as the back/breast flip, I can do it sometimes in practice and think I have done it in a meet once or twice on a 100 IM. However when I swam the 200IM I decided I needed air more than the flip. I find I need to push myself out from the wall as I touch to avoid becoming a crumpled mess with feet in the gutter. And I haven't dared do the fly kick on the breast pullout yet....

ElaineK
October 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Also regarding caps,I wear 2 over my goggles.Over the goggles lessens the danger of losing the goggles on the dive.I wear a latex cap underneath the silicon cap as I find silicone caps are more prone to sliding off if directly on my head.

Ditto. I took Ande's advice on the two caps, pulling the second one over the top edge of my goggles for extra security. I also use Vaseline around my eyes for a better goggle seal and to help protect the skin. So, for me, it's: Vaseline, followed by goggles, followed by latex cap, followed by silicone cap covering the top edge of my goggles. And, no, I don't care how foolish it looks!

lapswimmr
October 25th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Chin strap swim cap ..LOL. I double cap , wearing a bubble crepe chin strap cap over a silicon cap. (white bubble caps come in head sizes) Works great warm waterproof and comfortable. Hair dry after my swim and out of the locker room in 10 minutes. Clear Barracuda standards for me. Zoomers are always a good choice I use the blue ones. I had red ones they were too stiff . I would like to get the underwater Finis lap counter if they still make them but I have too much stuff in my mesh swim bag already. Swim and have fun! Sounds like you've been doing that! Swimming The Worlds Best Exercise!

dry hair page http://dryhairswimcap.blogspot.com

swimslick
October 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
good to know guys, thanks! i just nabbed an new 'ancient' aquablade kneesuit on ebay for 30 bucks, can't wait to try it out! Pretty sure its legal lol. BTW there seems to be a TON of aquablade suits on ebay now, mainly sizes 30 and up though.

I will try and give that crossover turn a whirl, but I read that you need some pretty good shoulder strength from that. 3 years ago I actually dislocated my left shoulder, so I need to be careful with anything backstroke related (can't swim it in a straight line anymore lol) so I might just stick to the ol open turn for a while. I've experienced several minor re-dislocations since, mainly it pops out and right back in....all related to getting dressed or reaching out to close my car door :/ Hasn't happened since since I started swimming again though!

I definitely try a silicone cap too. Thanks again for all the input!

pmccoy
October 26th, 2011, 03:20 PM
i just nabbed an new 'ancient' aquablade kneesuit on ebay for 30 bucks, can't wait to try it out! Pretty sure its legal lol. BTW there seems to be a TON of aquablade suits on ebay now, mainly sizes 30 and up though.YingFa's are nice too. I like mine better than my Aquablade and I spent less money on it. (http://www.swimdownhill.com/) George will get you set up with the right size.

robertsrobson
October 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Probably something like this: Lochte Back To Breast Transition Turn - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZ2FWEJzUA&feature=related)

One of the guys on my team showed me how to do this but I never got comfortable enough in practice to do it at a meet. I also do not breathe very well on backstroke (getting better - it's a water up the nose phobia I'm getting over) so I kind of like that open turn breath on the wall.

That's broadly what I do, I think. I only do 100 medley about once a year! I'm always too knackered to do it on 200 medley. I swing my arm over and touch just before I turn onto my front.

It helps that I learned the "rollover" backstroke turn as a youth, despite being an awful backstroker. At our club we were pioneering it (at least in the UK). Our backstrokers were DQd so many times for doing it, but we persisted and it eventually caught on.

orca1946
October 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Wait till Christmas for the toy requests. Ask the team what they like/don't like with the toys.

rxleakem
October 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
What is the best style of fin to buy? I see the half and now quarter sizes - what is the difference?

Oh, I swim with a buzz cut and no cap (unless I have to for open water). Kiefer has great optical goggles so I can see in the water - anti-fog goes after a few months, but they are not super expensive. I have a pull bouy, blue hard-plastic paddles, and use a short soft kickboard from the pool.

ElaineK
October 26th, 2011, 09:17 PM
YingFa's are nice too. I like mine better than my Aquablade and I spent less money on it. (http://www.swimdownhill.com/) George will get you set up with the right size.

Just keep in mind they run SMALL! At a lean 5'71/2" and 120 pounds, I had to exchange the 2XL for a 3XL; the largest size they make for women! :afraid: But, I do like my Yingfa, anyway... :D And, George provides excellent customer service! :applaud:

jaadams1
October 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Just keep in mind they run SMALL! At a lean 5'71/2" and 120 pounds, I had to exchange the 2XL for a 3XL; the largest size they make for women! :afraid: But, I do like my Yingfa, anyway... :D And, George provides excellent customer service! :applaud:

I think that may be a male/female difference, or maybe a difference of someone who's swum their whole life, vs. a "newbie" as well. For some reason, even into college I was still squeezing into a 24 or 26 racing suit. :) Now I use a 30, but could probably be 28.

In Yingfa originally got a large, but have since gone down to medium. I'm a 5'9", 190 pound male.

couldbebetterfly
October 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I think that may be a male/female difference, or maybe a difference of someone who's swum their whole life, vs. a "newbie" as well. For some reason, even into college I was still squeezing into a 24 or 26 racing suit. :) Now I use a 30, but could probably be 28.

In Yingfa originally got a large, but have since gone down to medium. I'm a 5'9", 190 pound male.

I think it depends on your body proportions too. I found the Yingfa was just "wrong" for me. Great suit, great price, but not on my body. As a 5'5" 140lb female, the large was too big at the top, but I doubt I would have got my belly-flab into the medium. Still I got great customer service from George, so they're definitely worth a try! FTR I can pour myself into a TYR 28 for racing :D

ElaineK
October 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM

Have you noticed how Chinese women are built? They are typically tiny all over with very narrow hips. The Yingfa suits were designed and sized for their tiny, narrow figures. Even though I am thin, my skeletal structure is wider-set (pelvis, hips, rib cage, shoulders), so it takes a larger size to fit. You can see what I mean in the attached photo...

aquajock
October 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Have you noticed how Chinese women are built? They are typically tiny all over with very narrow hips. The Yingfa suits were designed and sized for their tiny, narrow figures. Even though I am thin, my skeletal structure is wider-set (pelvis, hips, rib cage, shoulders), so it takes a larger size to fit. You can see what I mean in the attached photo...

I'm looking and I don't see anything on your body I would describe as "wide." :)

ElaineK
October 28th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm looking and I don't see anything on your body I would describe as "wide." :)

Well, that's what I thought until I tried on 2XL and 3XL Yinga suits! The 2XL didn't even cover my crack and my butt is NOT fat!

Seriously, Asian women have much narrower hips than I do! I know I am thin, but, no matter how thin I am, nothing can change my bone structure. And, I am built like many (most?) Caucasian women with much wider hips and shoulders.

Celestial
October 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Elaine, I'm 12 pounds fatter than you - about the same height too, but I traded my 2XL for a L, and it still felt too loose on top. Legs were tight, but that was all. I actually had to shorten the Yingfa straps by about 2-3 inches prior to Nationals. I went and bought a FINIS while I was in Auburn for Spring Nat's. Yingfa is not cut for my body at ALL. But you're right, the price is amazing, and George is quite nice & helpful.

ElaineK
October 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Elaine, I'm 12 pounds fatter than you - about the same height too, but I traded my 2XL for a L, and it still felt too loose on top. Legs were tight, but that was all. I actually had to shorten the Yingfa straps by about 2-3 inches prior to Nationals. I went and bought a FINIS while I was in Auburn for Spring Nat's. Yingfa is not cut for my body at ALL. But you're right, the price is amazing, and George is quite nice & helpful.

You're right about the top part. All suits fit looser on top due to my, ummm, lack of chest size :blush:. But, I have to make sure the suit fits me in the hips and butt as to not cause a :afraid:!

Celestial, you may weigh 12 pounds more, but you aren't fat! You are solid muscle! :cheerleader: