PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Dryland Question

swimmasterusa
October 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have been swimming for years on and off now, and every single time that the butterfly came up in prax, i would frieght and just do free back or brest. However, recently my coach got on me and I'm so glad that she did. She forced me to do the butterfly and I ended up being a natural at it. My first time through I did the 50 Fly in the low 27's. Now that I know that I am my own worst enemy in the pool, not the butterfly stroke, I actually enjoy it.

The issue is that I can only go 50 meters of butterfly before I have to switch to free or back due to becoming very tired in my sholders and abs. I want to work up to doing the 100 fly and the 200 fly.

So, my question is, are there any dryland exercises that I can do, in my house per se, that will help me strengthen the various muscles that are used in Fly?

ande
October 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I have been swimming for years on and off now, and every single time that the butterfly came up in prax, i would frieght and just do free back or brest. However, recently my coach got on me and I'm so glad that she did. She forced me to do the butterfly and I ended up being a natural at it. My first time through I did the 50 Fly in the low 27's. Now that I know that I am my own worst enemy in the pool, not the butterfly stroke, I actually enjoy it.
The issue is that I can only go 50 meters of butterfly before I have to switch to free or back due to becoming very tired in my sholders and abs. I want to work up to doing the 100 fly and the 200 fly.
So, my question is, are there any dryland exercises that I can do, in my house per se, that will help me strengthen the various muscles that are used in Fly?

Bands / stretch cords
get 1, 2 or 3 bands
Secure them against something sturdy
lean over and
move your arms like you're doing an underwater pull
recover in the same path you pulled just in reverse (NOT above like an actual fly recovery)

The best way to get in shape for the 100 & 200 fly is to
train for the 200 & 500 free and
do a lot of fly kicking with and without a board
You don't need to do much actual fly in practice, but the fly you do should be FAST
never take a sloppy stroke of fly in practice, when you start to fall apart switch to one arm stroke drill or free
also rest up a bit more before fast fly efforts
work on your easy speed fly

IMPROVE YOUR SDK (streamline dolphin kick)
have someone time you for 15, 25, & 50
work on getting faster and fitter
figure out how many kicks you should do off your starts and turns in each race
Perfect your SDK technique

here's a youtube with great SDK footage
Phelps Rallies Past Crocker in 100-fly - YouTube

SolarEnergy
October 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
So, my question is, are there any dryland exercises that I can do, in my house per se, that will help me strengthen the various muscles that are used in Fly? There's a very simple answer to this question.

Recovering the arms is what tends to become challenging as fatigue kicks in. So home in your bed, laying flat on your belly, just perform several arm recoveries back and forth.

Note!!!!!!!!!

If your upper body flexibility is borderline (or poor), then your deltoid muscles must overcome tentions imposed by lack of flexibility (mainly at the arm adductor level, ie pecs etc...). So another great dryland suggestion for flyers has to be to stretch. I'd do a stretching session before, and one after performing several dozens of arm recoveries.

You'd know that by looking at your posture when relaxed. If both shoulder naturally rotate to the front, then it's an issue for swimming long distances at butterfly.

And when you perform these recoveries laying on your bed, make sure your shoulders are oriented upward, never downward (tip of the shoulder) and spend great deal of time with your head up, as to simulate breathing. Do at the very least the equivalent of a 200m butterfly, if you want to some day be able to swim a 200 easily. But make sets, or (like I used to do), just perform around 100 in a row. Short rest, then 100 again.

As simple as that.

That Guy
October 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Everything Ande says is true, but if you're like me then you ENJOY swimming lots of fly. For the last couple months, I've been cranking out 5000+ yards of fly per week. But I rarely swim more than 75 fly at a time. I haven't suffered through a 200 since June when I competed in the 200 LCM fly. Limiting my distance like that helps prevent sloppiness.

Edit: I just remembered the Independence Day challenge, an 800 iM. So I did a 200 fly in early July. My statement above was incorrect.

swimmasterusa
October 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Thank you so much for the feed back, I greatly appreciate it. You even answered my question that I didnt ask about the acronym SDK.

Speaking of counting my dolphin kicks off the wall, I have recently noticed that when I kick off the wall is 5 foot water, everything goes smooth, but when i get to like 8-12 foot deep water, i cant gadge how close i am to the surface and start trying to take strokes when im like 2ft under. Any suggestions??

As for flexability, the only problem that I know that I have is that if I put my arms strait out so that they are perpendicular to my torso, that I can only move my arms back like 6 inches or so. What is a great strech to help with that? I know that my flexibility with this joint needs improvemnt as I see most swimmers my age, or hell, even older than me that have a better range of motion in that joint.

I'll try to get a video on monday using my droid and post it. My coaches say my fly is great, but I dont see how, I dont know why, and the fly that I know i taught myself from watching other people swim.

Again, thanks for you time and your replies.

jaadams1
October 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Everything Ande says is true, but if you're like me then you ENJOY swimming lots of fly. For the last couple months, I've been cranking out 5000+ yards of fly per week. But I rarely swim more than 75 fly at a time. I haven't suffered through a 200 since June when I competed in the 200 LCM fly. Limiting my distance like that helps prevent sloppiness.

Edit: I just remembered the Independence Day challenge, an 800 iM. So I did a 200 fly in early July. My statement above was incorrect.

Definitely the right word...should I post the link the the video?

That Guy
October 29th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I don't think the good people of this forum need to see that. Not our finest hour ...

no200fly
October 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM
One other thing I would recommend is to get one of the butterfly videos. I like the Richard Quick video.

Butterfly is a rhythm stroke and while you can power through a 50 with poor mechanics, it takes too much energy to go the longer distances.

Your coach can help you with your stroke but the videos will let you see the stroke mechanics while they are being explained.

thewookiee
October 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Since it is Halloween weekend, we could use a good horror flick. Post the video to scare us.

jaadams1
October 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Since it is Halloween weekend, we could use a good horror flick. Post the video to scare us.

OK!! :popcorn:

6-12-11 200 LCM Fly - Corvallis, OR - YouTube

Splits:
http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/heat.php?MeetID=20110612CORVALL&Heat=2&Lane=4&Event=11

I'm in Lane 4, That Guy's in Lane 3...Allen Stark is doing butterfrog over in Lane 2.
It really isn't that much of a horror flick, but it was the 4th event of 5 for both of us in the LCM Distance Pentathalon. The 400 IM was last of course!!

There were only something like 38 people in this meet, so it was basically a swim, warmdown a couple lengths, get out, what lane am I in???, stand up, dive in again.

orca1946
October 30th, 2011, 02:40 PM
At home - tricep dips from a chair or table. Arms straight out in front of you & push down for 45 secs at a time. lay on the floor & do hundreds of leg lifts. Stand against a wall & push back for 45 secs& repeat many times.

swimmasterusa
October 31st, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thank you again for more comments and suggestions. As for the video, I see a lot of struggling going on!

philoswimmer
November 1st, 2011, 02:07 AM
You don't need to do much actual fly in practice, but the fly you do should be FAST

work on your easy speed fly

Ande, can you clarify this? Seems like a contradiction.

That Guy
November 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Ande, can you clarify this? Seems like a contradiction.

I'm not Ande but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :banana:

Your easy speed needs to be fast. Watch Phelps' first 100 meters of a 200 fly or a 400 IM. Using easy speed, he blazes it in 54 or 55 seconds!

I'm nowhere near that fast of course. A trick that I use to get into easy speed mode in a race is to either think about something else entirely, like what I'm going to have for lunch, or just focus on technique, such as my EVF. If I do one of those two things then easy speed seems to take care of itself. And the video posted in this thread is NOT a good example of that because I was exhausted before I entered the water. As James explained, that was our 4th 200 LCM event in around 90 minutes. :bed: