PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Tampa Bay Marathon Swim entry info available

roncollins
October 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM
The Fifteenth Annual 24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2012. Entry forms for are available at www.DistanceMatters.com This 24 mile ultra-distance marathon swim race starts at the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and ends on the Courtney Campbell Causeway in Tampa in a race that covers the length of Tampa Bay.

For more information, contact:
The Tampa Bay Marathon Swim
Distance Matters, Inc.
Ron Collins, Race Director
PO Box 18004
Clearwater, FL 33762-9998
727.531.7999 | www.DistanceMatters.com
Email: Collins@tampabay.rr.com

Viva O Fear
November 14th, 2011, 11:33 PM
First I have heard of this cool event!

jefflynn
January 18th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Ron, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am starting to spend a lot of work time in Tampa and want to do some open water swimming in Tampa Bay, can you steer me toward locations/groups? I'm not ready for 24 miles yet, building up from about 2 miles right now! Thanks.

swimthegoodfight
January 18th, 2012, 09:24 PM
i know a few posters on this board have completed this swim... what is the tidal contribution to this swim? is this swim tougher than the manhattan island swim?

Rob Copeland
January 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
i know a few posters on this board have completed this swim... what is the tidal contribution to this swim? is this swim tougher than the manhattan island swim?I've done both and Tampa is much more challenging. The Bay can be rougher than the 3 rivers and there is very little tidal assist.

evmo
January 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
i know a few posters on this board have completed this swim... what is the tidal contribution to this swim? is this swim tougher than the manhattan island swim?

I did both in 2011 and consider Tampa to be the tougher swim, due to the longer effective distance and less predictable conditions. MIMS can be challenging in terms of water temperature (depending on how early in June it's held), and also the Hudson can get choppy in the afternoon.

In theory, there is a slight tidal assist for TBMS. According to the NOAA, on 4/23/2011 the flood tide maxed out at a little under a quarter of a knot (7 meters/minute). By comparison, at one point in the East River I was "swimming" 7 mph.

Last year I did a historical analysis of the success rates in the two swims between 1999 (the first year of TBMS) and 2010. Tampa had a 53% success rate, compared to 90% for MIMS. Some of that is probably due to MIMS' selection process (and presumably stricter standard for entry)... however I think it's revealing data nonetheless.

All that being said... I highly recommend both swims. Ron Collins and Morty Berger are two of the finest race directors I've had the pleasure of meeting.

-------
www.freshwaterswimmer.com

roncollins
January 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thank you, Evan! A few years ago, I was able to find a flow model that showed a 2 kt. current in Tampa Bay w/ the incoming tide. But you have to be in the right place at the right time to benefit from the flow.

Kevin in MD
January 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM

As one of the 47% who didn't make it through Tampa, I'll say that if a nice strong northerly wind settles into the Tampa Area whipping up the bay; you're going to have a long day on your hands.

After a few miles heading east, you turn basically straight north for the majority of it and one the day I was there, it was just brutal and there wasn't going to be any relief for the entire rest of the swim. I got out at the St Pete pier, with a lot of other folks.

I had done a training day in February and the water was flat, that was no sweat. Well other than the distance the training day was no sweat.

swimthegoodfight
January 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
thanks - i presumed wind direction could be critical to success or failure.

E=H2O
January 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
The only time I felt any current assist was along my "shortcut" in the first 3 miles of the swim. At one point I was swimming in water so shallow I could touch the bottom and was just flying along.

swimmer25k
January 26th, 2012, 05:56 AM

There is very little comparision between the two swims. Tampa Bay is by far a more difficult and challenging swim.

Manhattan has a substantial tidal assist that works to the benefit of slower swimmers. Faster swimmers tend to be ahead of the tides as you go into the Harlem and Hudson rivers; giving them less time in the flume. In 2004, I had a rather substantial lead going into both the Harlem and Hudson. My lead into the Harlem pretty much evaporated because I was at a standstill and the other swimmers still had the advantage of the current behind them. The same thing going into the Hudson. Compare some of those who have done both swims. There is a pretty large gap between their Tampa and Manhattan times.

Outside of the Atlantic City marathon and Lac St. Jean, Tampa has been one of the tougher swims that I've done. There is a bit of a current assist, and like in Manhattan it benefits slower swimmers. (Longer time in the current.) I've done Tampa four times and each swim was entirely different. In 2001, we swam from North to South against the tide. I've done Manhattan twice and they were pretty much the same swim each time (except for my boat driver screwing up in 1998 by swimming me so close to the Intrepid that I could touch it).

Manhattan is a fun swim that can give great experience in colder water. However, in my experience, I believe that Tampa Bay is a greater test of one's tenacity and abilities. I coached a swimmer in 2007 for the English Channel and had her enter Tampa Bay over Manhattan because I thought the adversity of the weather, her body, and mind would be best tested there.

Hope this helps.

Chris Derks

swimthegoodfight
January 26th, 2012, 10:13 AM
thanks chris derks and welcome to the board

hope to target tampa bay and manhattan island in 2013 but very ambitious for me

roncollins
February 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
We still have a few spots available for solo swimmers for this event. Entry deadline is on March 1st.

info@randynutt.com
February 23rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
Chris Derks mentioned he swam Tampa four times -what really needs to be mentioned is he won it all four times:applaud:

The Tampa Bay Marathon is one tough swim - which is also part of it's beauty!
An open water swim classic for sure.

swimmer25k
February 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Chris Derks mentioned he swam Tampa four times -what really needs to be mentioned is he won it all four times:applaud:

The Tampa Bay Marathon is one tough swim - which is also part of it's beauty!
An open water swim classic for sure.

I had a great kayaker.

My back is still screwed up (I had my fourth operation in four years last October), so I haven't been able to train much. Maybe next year.......

swimthegoodfight
April 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
i thought i might give this thread a bump since the marathon swim is tomorrow.

best of luck swimmers!

SWIMMER, AGE, HOMETOWN
1. Brad Denton, 48M, Scottsdale, AZ
2. Chris Burke, 50M, St. Petersburg, FL
3. Greg Larson, 43M, San Rafael, CA
4. Sarah Thomas, 29F, Englewood, CO
5. Rob Kent, 47M, Oakville, Ontario
6. Dan Boyle, 46M, New York, NY
7. Katie Brooks, 23F, Asheville, NC
8. Mauro Giaconia, 40M, Palermo, Italy
9. Mark Smitherman, 54M, Clearwater, FL
10. Patti Bauernfeind, 44F, Dublin, CA
11. Tibor Molnar, 19M, Shelton, CT
12. Bart Cobb, 57M, Tampa, FL
13. Alan Barry, 48M, Asheville, NC
14. Pat Marzulli, 63M, Indian Rocks Beach, FL
15. Steve Gruenwald, 50M, Anchorage, AK
16. Arnie Bellini, 53M, Tampa, FL
17. Angry Fish Relay
Chris Kirwin, 46M, Overland Park, KS
Jordan Lewis, 54M, Minneapolis, MN
Dan Snyder, 44M, Los Gatos, CA
Rob Benson, 43M, Mt. Dester, ME
Jim Kirkland, 64M, Alexandria, VA
Jen Raymond, 46F, Stanford, CA
18. Team Hammerhead Aquatics Relay
Bill Korey, 48M, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Andrea Woodburn, 48F, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Jonathan Olsen, 49M, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
19. Five Mermaids and a Shark Relay
Patty Hermann, 52F, Houston, TX
Kimberly Hermann, 22F, Houston, TX
Marcy Olsen, 21F, Houston, TX
Caitlin Healey, 29F, Needham, MA
Lauren Tharaud, 30F, Hoboken, NJ
Ted Gregory, 74M, Camp Hill, PA

roncollins
April 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Go to www.DistanceMatters.com to see live Tweets, Pictures, and a GPS display showing the swimmers' progress throughout the day.

Rob Copeland
April 23rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
From Distance Matters
All 16 solo swimmers and 3 relay teams were forced to withdraw due to inclement weather at the 15th Annual event on April 21, 2012

Sarah Thomas of Englewood, Colorado maintained a lead throughout the race, and was the leader of the pack when inclement weather forced an early end to the race. After swimming in Tampa Bay, battling wind and waves for 6 hours, 25 minutes, approaching lightning ended the event before any of the swimmers were able to reach the finish line.

Congratulations on great efforts and condolences on not being allowed to get to the finish line.

fatboy
April 23rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
openwaterswimming.com also has a story on the race

http://openwaterswimming.com/thunderous-replay-tampa-bay-marathon-swim/