PDA

View Full Version : Read 'em and Weep: Preliminary Top Ten for LCM 2011

Chris Stevenson
November 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
They're up: http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

Corrections are due by Nov 23; PM me or send them to topten AT usms DOT org.

Allen Stark
November 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Wow,you are on the ball,I checked to see if they were up earlier today and they weren't.

Chris Stevenson
November 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Wow,you are on the ball,I checked to see if they were up earlier today and they weren't.

Well...since I upload the files, I have a bit of an advantage.

That Guy
November 2nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I held on to #10 in the 100 fly :bliss:

jaadams1
November 2nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
I held on to #10 in the 100 fly :bliss:

Oh yeah, well I held on to 10th in the 200 BREAST and 200 BACK
I must've got lucky! :cheerleader:

I was 11th in the 100 Fly :sad: My time would've put my 6th in your group though...next year...

That Guy
November 3rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
Oh yeah, well I held on to 10th in the 200 BREAST and 200 BACK
I must've got lucky! :cheerleader:

I was 11th in the 100 Fly :sad: My time would've put my 6th in your group though...next year...

You may have gotten 11 in the 1fly, but you did manage to rank in EIGHT events... somehow I think you'll be ok :bighug:

It's actually tougher in the next age group, just FYI

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
You may have gotten 11 in the 1fly, but you did manage to rank in EIGHT events... somehow I think you'll be ok :bighug:

It's actually tougher in the next age group, just FYI

I can actually hear the 35-39ers talking about me already...:bolt:

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
WOW!! :bow: Colette Crabbe of Oregon has posted Top Ten times in ALL of the long course events for the women's 55-59 age group!! Her lowest placing was 7th, with multiple #1's. :bow:

I'm sure there are others out there too.

swimshark
November 3rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
WOW!! :bow: Colette Crabbe of Oregon has posted Top Ten times in ALL of the long course events for the women's 55-59 age group!! Her lowest placing was 7th, with multiple #1's. :bow:

I'm sure there are others out there too.

Go Colette!!

I managed to hang on to 10th in the 1500, first time I have ever done it and I was out of the water for 2 weeks prior. And I have 4th in the 400IM with a horrible time. Next year!!

The Fortress
November 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
I saw that blogger Patrick Brundage will be AA in a killer triple -- 200 fly, 400 IM and 1500 free.

knelson
November 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
I saw that blogger Patrick Brundage will be AA in a killer triple -- 200 fly, 400 IM and 1500 free.

What a stud! I knew Kurt Dickson was ahead of me in the 1500, but Patrick's time was never listed in the database. I'm sure I saw him blog about it at the time, but forgot he had swum it. Anyway, great swims Patrick!

fmracing
November 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Would've made it if it wasn't for the dumb pool measuring rules :badday:

Congrats to all that did.

knelson
November 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Would've made it if it wasn't for the dumb pool measuring rules :badday:

In what way are they dumb?

pmccoy
November 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Almost cracked top ten in 200 BR. Is there a way to list the top 20? If I "make my own" list, I'm forced to choose a zone or LMSC.

james lucas
November 3rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Colette Crabbe of Oregon has posted Top Ten times in ALL of the long course events for the women's 55-59 age group!!

Hubie Kerns did that in men's 60-64, and he swam on two top-ranked relays.

fmracing
November 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
In what way are they dumb?

I think the differences between what constitutes a valid and invalid measurement are kinda dumb. A measurement taken in one meet by some guys with a stretchable bowed measuring tape that has a couple floaties on it is valid, but a measurement taken on day 2, 3, or 4 of a 4 day meet when the bulkheads haven't moved a millimeter isn't valid for a day 1 swim? Kinda dumb imo, but I guess its the rules so there isn't much I can do besides complain ;)

knelson
November 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
when the bulkheads haven't moved a millimeter

The problem is knowing for sure they haven't moved a millimeter!

fmracing
November 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
The problem is knowing for sure they haven't moved a millimeter!

I suppose a stretchable tape that bows down in the middle would easily tell someone that eh? ;)

Michael Blatt
November 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hubie Kerns did that in men's 60-64, and he swam on two top-ranked relays.

This following his TT in 14 events in SCY for 2011. I'd say he's having a pretty good year so far ... SCM awaits ...

knelson
November 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
I suppose a stretchable tape that bows down in the middle would easily tell someone that eh? ;)

Actually it would if you do a correction to account for the catenary 'bowing' of the tape.

edit: Sorry for being a little snippy. I realize it's not your fault the pool was measured properly. It would suck to be denied a Top Ten listing because the meet hosts screwed up. All I'm saying is the pool measurement rules are there for a reason.

orca1946
November 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Close,but no listing this year!:badday:

swimike
November 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
MMMMMM, Beeeeeeeer, I mean, Top teeeeeeeeeeennnnn.... (said in Homer Simpson voice). :chug:

ElaineK
November 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Congratulations to Doug (That Guy), James, and Alison ('Shark)!
:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

swimmerb212
November 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

My first individual top 10 EVER!!!!!

I'm number 10! I'm number 10! I'm number 10!

Swimming the 400 IM at Middlebury paid off! It was an honor just to be nominated!

:bliss:

That Guy
November 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Elaine! Great job swimmerb212! :cheerleader:

The Fortress
November 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM

Swimming the 400 IM at Middlebury paid off! It was an honor just to be nominated!

That is truly awesome! You never forget the first one. :)

thewookiee
November 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
You never forget the first one. :)

:censor:

The Fortress
November 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
:censor:

After I wrote that, I suspected a response from you or TG or Kirk. :)

couldbebetterfly
November 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM

:applaud: Kudos for swimming a 400 IM long course, you deserve that spot! Will you be defending your no 10 and swimming it again next year?

swimmerb212
November 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
:applaud: Kudos for swimming a 400 IM long course, you deserve that spot! Will you be defending your no 10 and swimming it again next year?

I would LOVE to go through that again - maybe try for #9! However, Middlebury is not hosting the meet this year, so I'll have to find another LCM race within 4 hours of Poughkeepsie.

And for the record, I always remember my first times.

pmccoy
November 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM

Congrats! Looks like my teammates had to drag me over the top 10 line (200 Medley relay) but I'll take it any way I can get it.

swimshark
November 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM

Thank you Elaine.

Congratulations!!

Chris Stevenson
November 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM

Posts like this make me wish for a "like" button on the forums; great job.

Jeff Commings
November 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
People may find my contribution to this thread ridiculous, given the number of top 10 times I've swum in Masters, but it's funny thinking back to my first top 10.

It was 2000, and I didn't even know such a thing existed. I had never been ranked number one nationally in anything since high school nine years earlier, so it was a great feeling to see my name at the top of a list. It sometimes becomes an unhealthy obsession of mine, especially when I find that I have a chance to be All-Star. But this top 10 thing is a great component of Masters. It clearly gives people motivation to be better.

That Guy
November 3rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
I can actually hear the 35-39ers talking about me already...:bolt:

Actually we were just arguing with a cab driver. I realize that from your perspective, it's hard to tell the difference. 2012 will be interesting, with the following forumites alphabetically duking it out in the same age group: jaadams1, Jeff Commings, qbrain, Rykno, That Guy, thewookiee, & tjrpatt. :argue::duel: :violin:

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks Elaine!

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
People may find my contribution to this thread ridiculous, given the number of top 10 times I've swum in Masters, but it's funny thinking back to my first top 10.

It was 2000, and I didn't even know such a thing existed. I had never been ranked number one nationally in anything since high school nine years earlier, so it was a great feeling to see my name at the top of a list. It sometimes becomes an unhealthy obsession of mine, especially when I find that I have a chance to be All-Star. But this top 10 thing is a great component of Masters. It clearly gives people motivation to be better.

Very true, it's a way to be able to compete nation-wide without actually having to attend the National meet.
My goal is to make the SCY list one of these days in something other than the 1650. I'll probably have to wait till I'm 95 to do it, but hey...it counts! :)

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Actually we were just arguing with a cab driver. I realize that from your perspective, it's hard to tell the difference. 2012 will be interesting, with the following forumites alphabetically duking it out in the same age group: jaadams1, Jeff Commings, qbrain, Rykno, That Guy, thewookiee, & tjrpatt. :argue::duel: :violin:

Looks like I need to get started with the :roids:and :weightlifter:, or just forget about it and start :chug:.

That Guy
November 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Looks like I need to get started with the :roids:and :weightlifter:, or just forget about it and start :chug:.

Do all three at the same time. What could go wrong?

pwb
November 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM

What a stud!

Thanks. I think I now officially like LCM for Masters. This is the first time I've gotten to the top slot. I'd like to thank a few guys who, fortunately for me, did not race these events this summer!

I knew Kurt Dickson was ahead of me in the 1500, but Patrick's time was never listed in the database. My 1500 time, as with a couple of others, was from a USAS meet. However, as I learned some time ago on some thread about submitting times, if the swim was done in a fixed length pool (yes) that had been previously certified by USMS (yes), they are acceptable for TT.

The bummer is when I swim USAS meets in SCY as they are very often in a pool with a bulkhead. Being a USAS official myself, I'm not going to ask those guys to go through extra duties just to certify the pool length. I really wish USMS would 'harmonize' with USAS (and ideally vice-versa) with times from sanctioned meets being acceptable in both systems. At a minimum, since USAS meets are, IMHO, generally 'more' officiated than most USMS meets, I'd like to see USMS accept results from USAS meets.

couldbebetterfly
November 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM

.......or a sex change or gender re-assignment or whatever they call it these days.

Ok probably a little extreme, but there's not a lot of competition in the 35-39 females!

That Guy
November 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
.......or a sex change or gender re-assignment or whatever they call it these days.

Ok probably a little extreme, but there's not a lot of competition in the 35-39 females!

That is an excellent idea. James, uh I mean Jamila, you should look into this.

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM

Nice try...but not going to take the bait. :eek::eeew::nono::notworking:

jaadams1
November 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
That is an excellent idea. James, uh I mean Jamila, you should look into this.

Um...see my other post.

Kurt Dickson
November 3rd, 2011, 10:32 PM

With apologies to Ace Ventura...it's called going to the light of spiritual creaminess (seen with distance swimming) and avoiding the chewy chunks of degradation or darkness (seen with sprinting):)

congrats PB on the deadly triad

Chris Stevenson
November 3rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'd like to see USMS accept results from USAS meets.

I'd like to see it work the other way too. At nationals you have to remember to sign that form to get the results submitted to SWIMS. For any other USMS meet...well, good luck with that.

thewookiee
November 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Don't forget to shave too. Wait, maybe that's meant for me. Nevermind, go back to booking your flight to Thailand for your gender swap for the women's 35-39 age group domination

Speedo
November 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I saw that blogger Patrick Brundage will be AA in a killer triple -- 200 fly, 400 IM and 1500 free.Wow- nice!!!

jaadams1
November 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Don't forget to shave too. Wait, maybe that's meant for me. Nevermind, go back to booking your flight to Thailand for your gender swap for the women's 35-39 age group domination

Shaving will help with me...unlike That Guy, I actually do have man hair.

And not going to Thailand either.

thewookiee
November 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Shaving will help with me...unlike That Guy, I actually do have man hair.

From the picture of That Guy on the forum, he doesn't have a lot of hair, fat, muscle, hands or feet. In fact, he kinda looks like a stick.

Jeff Commings
November 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
At a minimum, since USAS meets are, IMHO, generally 'more' officiated than most USMS meets, I'd like to see USMS accept results from USAS meets.

They do. My 50 and 100 breast times this summer were done at a USAS meet. They're in the top 10 lists. Usually my LCM times are done in USAS meets and I've never had issues with those times getting in. I would recommend doing the swims at a pool with permanent walls, so you don't have to bother the officials with extra work.

fmracing
November 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
The bummer is when I swim USAS meets in SCY as they are very often in a pool with a bulkhead. Being a USAS official myself, I'm not going to ask those guys to go through extra duties just to certify the pool length. I really wish USMS would 'harmonize' with USAS (and ideally vice-versa) with times from sanctioned meets being acceptable in both systems. At a minimum, since USAS meets are, IMHO, generally 'more' officiated than most USMS meets, I'd like to see USMS accept results from USAS meets.

+1

fmracing
November 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Actually it would if you do a correction to account for the catenary 'bowing' of the tape.

edit: Sorry for being a little snippy. I realize it's not your fault the pool was measured properly. It would suck to be denied a Top Ten listing because the meet hosts screwed up. All I'm saying is the pool measurement rules are there for a reason.

I didn't view it as snippy, don't worry. It wasn't that the hosts screwed up or made a mistake though either. Its a policy difference. In USAS they don't care about measuring for bulkheads in meets unless a "very high level" record was broken.

That Guy
November 4th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Good idea not using Wookiee's doc. Went a bit overboard on the hormones. Do you have a better deal somewhere else?

thewookiee
November 4th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Good idea not using Wookiee's doc. Went a bit overboard on the hormones. Do you have a better deal somewhere else?

James, you could go on That Guy's diet plan. You would have no drag from the shoulders down, but I don't know how well you could turn or streamline off the walls with a head that big.

That Guy
November 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
James, you could go on That Guy's diet plan. You would have no drag from the shoulders down, but I don't know how well you could turn or streamline off the walls with a head that big.

Why do think I spend so much time working on SDK's?

http://youtu.be/yYKHek8Z7zk
http://youtu.be/qRmLGYSc0XQ

jaadams1
November 4th, 2011, 07:03 PM

If I was to lose that much weight then I would actually be BELOW my college swimming weight, and then be considered a wimp. And I prefer my Big Macs, Chalupas, SuperSonic Doublecheeseburgers, Whoppers, plenty of soda to wash it all down, and of course, anything from the quicky marts. That's the real secret to how I swim so fast!

That Guy
November 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
a wimp

...a wimp who was badly choking on water... still managed to... what's the word for it? I can't remember

http://youtu.be/ezCkCSV6g10

jaadams1
November 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM
...a wimp who was badly choking on water... still managed to... what's the word for it? I can't remember

http://youtu.be/ezCkCSV6g10

I should delete that video. :bouncing:

jaadams1
November 4th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Why do think I spend so much time working on SDK's?

Not sure...
6-12-11 200 LCM Free - Corvallis, OR - YouTube

dsyphers
November 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Close but no cigar, 11th in the 50 back. Actually I was a little surprised, happily so, by that ranking - I'd like to thank all those people who are definitely faster than me for not swimming LCM this year. Hmmm... Maybe I should actually do some backstroke in practices instead of just meets. :agree:

TRYM_Swimmer
November 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Congrats! The first one is always the best!

That Guy
November 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Congrats! The first one is always the best!
"That's almost what she said" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :dunno:

funkyfish
November 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Yayyyy! Currently I'm at #5 for the 50 free. If I can figure out how to drop 2 seconds I might have a shot at #1 next year.
:banana:

__steve__
November 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Yayyyy! Currently I'm at #5 for the 50 free. If I can figure out how to drop 2 seconds I might have a shot at #1 next year.

that's awesome dude!

jim thornton
November 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM
I think the differences between what constitutes a valid and invalid measurement are kinda dumb. A measurement taken in one meet by some guys with a stretchable bowed measuring tape that has a couple floaties on it is valid, but a measurement taken on day 2, 3, or 4 of a 4 day meet when the bulkheads haven't moved a millimeter isn't valid for a day 1 swim? Kinda dumb imo, but I guess its the rules so there isn't much I can do besides complain ;)

Mr. Fmracing, I absolutely feel your pain here. If I understand it correctly, you swam in a four day meet, did a Top 10 worthy time on Day 1, then later found that the pool was measured on Day 2, 3, and 4 but not Day 1, so your time didn't count?

If this is correct, you, sir, qualify for Peak Outrage in my book.

I have taken the liberty of writing about my own lesser Top 10 outrage on my vlog, and invite any and all of you who, like Mr. Fmracing, have a TT outrage regarding a swim that didn't count for reasons you consider unfair to post your episode in the comments section of my most recent entry here:

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?bt=73487

Perhaps if enough such examples are gathered together in one spot, the stench emanating from same will be enough to force some reasonable change to the occasionally picayune-to-the-point-of-cruelty USMS rule book!

Jim "Occupy Your Local Mudhole" Thornton, multiple time Outrage victim

Couroboros
December 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
So I was checking my 50 free SCM time from September's Mountain View meet when I saw underneath my meet results that I had 1 preliminary Top Ten time for LCM 2011.

!!!

Apparently, I am the inhabitant of spot 10 on the Top Ten 200 backstroke, with my 3:10.38 time from June.

edit: apparently, spot 9 belongs to a "Lucas Phipps" who is also registered with the Santa Clara Swim Club like myself. Yet I have no idea who this person is.

Chris Stevenson
December 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
TT listings have been finalized for the 2011 LCM season.

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

Fresnoid
December 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM

I've never done a LCM masters meet and only done a couple SCY and that was back in 2009. Looks like the LMC times are substantially slower than this year's SCY would be if converted to LCM. Is this common from year to year or in different age groups? I was just looking at men 45-49.

The Fortress
December 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I've never done a LCM masters meet and only done a couple SCY and that was back in 2009. Looks like the LMC times are substantially slower than this year's SCY would be if converted to LCM. Is this common from year to year or in different age groups? I was just looking at men 45-49.

Yes, and especially so since the suits were banned in 2009! :bolt:

Chris Stevenson
December 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Mythical National Championship (http://www.vaswim.org/mythical-champs/) bragging rights belong to:

#1 Zone: Dixie
#1 LMSC: Southern Pacific
#1 Club: Sarasota Y (edging out ARIZ by a mere 10 pts...)

aquageek
December 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Mythical National Championship (http://www.vaswim.org/mythical-champs/) bragging rights belong to:

#1 Zone: Dixie

It's only mythical if it isn't a true fact.

JimRude
December 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Now I am depressed (again).

Chris Stevenson
December 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
It's only mythical if it isn't a true fact.

I notice you conveniently omit:

11. Virginia LMSC
17. North Carolina LMSC

and

11. VMST
15. NCMS

So is Virginia going to come down to Greensboro and spank the home team?

Chris Stevenson
December 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Generally fewer people swim LCM so it stands to reason that the times are a little softer. The location/size of spring vs summer nationals is a big factor, since nationals is probably the single biggest meet for producing TT times. This year Mesa was pretty big (despite the suit ban, imagine that) while Auburn was not.

Lack of LCM pools is probably another factor. It is hard to find a good LCM meet around here, anyway. And some people shift their focus to OW swimming in the warmer months.

That Guy
December 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Yes, and especially so since the suits were banned in 2009! :bolt:

On the subject of top ten, LCM, and tech suits, an unusual meet just went into the database (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/)for the LCM '12 season: Bearcat Masters Tech-suit Invitational (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20111022BEARCTL)

Per the meet information page (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1507&smid=3413):

Technical-Suit: Technical suits will be allowed at this meet. However, TIMES achieved at this meet with or without a technical suit WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR USMS Top Ten or USMS records.

Shouldn't the times have been uploaded with something like "(not eligible for top ten etc etc)" next to them? I've seen that sort of thing noted before, such as for meets that were held in pools that were an incorrect length.

<removes nerd hat, puts spaz hat back on>

Fresnoid
December 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Generally fewer people swim LCM so it stands to reason that the times are a little softer. The location/size of spring vs summer nationals is a big factor, since nationals is probably the single biggest meet for producing TT times. This year Mesa was pretty big (despite the suit ban, imagine that) while Auburn was not.

Lack of LCM pools is probably another factor. It is hard to find a good LCM meet around here, anyway. And some people shift their focus to OW swimming in the warmer months.

That makes sense. Spoiled out here - six 50 meter pools within 15 minutes of my house.

ElaineK
December 15th, 2011, 08:29 PM

WoooHOOO! :bliss:Made TT (#3, #7, and #8) for three relays; probably the only way I will ever see Top Ten rankings (unless I outlive the competition). :blush:

couldbebetterfly
December 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
WoooHOOO! :bliss:Made TT (#3, #7, and #8) for three relays; probably the only way I will ever see Top Ten rankings (unless I outlive the competition). :blush:

:applaud: you helped them get those TT spots.

I'm chuffed that my 800 split hung in at #10 to give me 3 TTs for 2 swims - now that's value :banana:

The Fortress
December 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Generally fewer people swim LCM so it stands to reason that the times are a little softer.

Lack of LCM pools is probably another factor.

Agree. But the fact is fewer people have swum LCM the last two years (could be the recession, I know). And times among the regular competitors are relatively slower since 2009. Possibly the suits gave more of an assist in long course than short course.

Chris Stevenson
December 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM
On the subject of top ten, LCM, and tech suits, an unusual meet just went into the database (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/)for the LCM '12 season: Bearcat Masters Tech-suit Invitational (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20111022BEARCTL)

Shouldn't the times have been uploaded with something like "(not eligible for top ten etc etc)" next to them? I've seen that sort of thing noted before, such as for meets that were held in pools that were an incorrect length.

The purpose of the national results DB goes beyond just generating the final TT lists. Most people realize that some meets are not submitted to the DB, though that number is decreasing.

But also the results DB can include a number of meets that will not be submitted for TT consideration; examples include if the pool is measured too short, or if there is no electronic timing and only one timer per lane...or if cheater suits are used. The results DB might also include swims from non-members and foreign swimmers. The idea is that a person might want to have access to these results (eg from their MyUSMS page) even if they aren't TT-eligible.

Probably at some point the hard-working IT staff will get around to designating ineligible swims in some way.

ElaineK
December 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
:applaud: you helped them get those TT spots.

I'm chuffed that my 800 split hung in at #10 to give me 3 TTs for 2 swims - now that's value :banana:
Way to go 'Fly! :cheerleader:

ALM
December 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks for catching that. I just added a note to the meet info.

That Guy
December 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
The purpose of the national results DB goes beyond just generating the final TT lists. Most people realize that some meets are not submitted to the DB, though that number is decreasing.

But also the results DB can include a number of meets that will not be submitted for TT consideration; examples include if the pool is measured too short, or if there is no electronic timing and only one timer per lane...or if cheater suits are used. The results DB might also include swims from non-members and foreign swimmers. The idea is that a person might want to have access to these results (eg from their MyUSMS page) even if they aren't TT-eligible.

Probably at some point the hard-working IT staff will get around to designating ineligible swims in some way. We're in 100% agreement on this. :) Having a standard way to denote ineligible times would be a nice improvement even if it isn't commonly used.

Chris Stevenson
December 15th, 2011, 09:57 PM
But the fact is fewer people have swum LCM the last two years (could be the recession, I know). And times among the regular competitors are relatively slower since 2009. Possibly the suits gave more of an assist in long course than short course.

Too many factors at work to say for sure. I still think that the location/nature of summer nationals is the most important factor. I bet PR and Auburn would have been poorly attended with or without the suits. Hard to say with Omaha; Oly trials and the nice pool are draws, but Nebraska is Nebraska and possibly not everyone can get away in July.

I bet 2013 Mission Viejo nationals will have lots of people (for a summer nationals, anyway; they always have fewer than short course) and the TT times will be correspondingly faster.

That Guy
December 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for catching that. I just added a note to the meet info. :notworthy:

swimshark
December 16th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Congratulations Eliane!

Chris Stevenson
December 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM
The formatted TT listing has been posted on the USMS website:

http://www.usms.org/content/top10print

As always, you can order patches here:

http://www.usms.org/content/tt_patches

ande
December 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
The formatted TT listing has been posted on the USMS website:
http://www.usms.org/content/top10print
As always, you can order patches here:
http://www.usms.org/content/tt_patches
very cool
thanks!

ElaineK
December 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Congratulations Eliane!

Thanks, 'Shark! :D

aquageek
December 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
So is Virginia going to come down to Greensboro and spank the home team?

That would be darn embarrassing so I'm predicting it won't happen. Then again we lost our state meet last year to the SC team. As you know, losing anything against South Cackalacky is grounds for USMS expulsion.