PDA

View Full Version : Getin' Cold. Who's still swimming in the Metro area?

rtodd
November 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM
OK,

Today it was 42 deg water in Long Island Sound and it is getting tough on the feet, hands and face. Anyone else still swimming in the Metro area? Just curious.

chaos
November 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM
CIBBOWS will be at it for the long haul. Low 50's at brighton beach... sorry i missed it. Hopefully next weekend.

rtodd
November 6th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Low 50's is better. I swim in Cold Spring Harbor and the underground springs are cold! About 1/2 mile north toward the sound, it gets a bit better, maybe closer to 50.

orca1946
November 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Here in Chicagoland , we are indoors for the rest of the year.

evmo
November 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Here in Chicagoland , we are indoors for the rest of the year.

Speak for yourself.

swimsuit addict
November 6th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Come join us out at Brighton Beach Rob! We had a dozen swimmers out today--51 water temp.

Chicken of the Sea
November 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Speak for yourself.

Rub it in

rtodd
November 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Janet,

I think you are the one I seem to race alot in the IMs....no?

If I don't get to Brighton Beach, see you at the meets!

evmo
November 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Rub it in

Nothing of the sort intended! There were several of our fellow Promontory Point open-water swimmers (http://www.openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Promontory_Point_Open_Water_Swimme rs_(Chicago)) immersed (sans wetsuit) as recently as Thursday. Only meant that orca1946 does not speak for Chicagoland.

Chicken of the Sea
November 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Nothing of the sort intended! There were several of our fellow Promontory Point open-water swimmers (http://www.openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Promontory_Point_Open_Water_Swimme rs_(Chicago)) immersed (sans wetsuit) as recently as Thursday. Only meant that orca1946 does not speak for Chicagoland.

yeah I know :) I'm annoyed because I haven't had time to drive in even for a tiny dip, and just when I need it most! Maybe I'll just make the time this afternoon. Nigel still hasn't been to Promontory!

swimsuit addict
November 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Janet,

I think you are the one I seem to race alot in the IMs....no?

If I don't get to Brighton Beach, see you at the meets!

Yep, that's me. We've had some good races!

I like doing ocean IMs, but it's gotten a little cold for those now. But I am still swimming outdoors, just with less stroke variety!:)

rtodd
November 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm ready for you this year. I've got a few tricks up my sleve!

ViveBene
November 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM

yeah I know :) I'm annoyed because I haven't had time to drive in even for a tiny dip, and just when I need it most! Maybe I'll just make the time this afternoon. Nigel still hasn't been to Promontory!

Miss you both! Maybe next week!

(Yes, Orca, swimming is a year-round sport in Chicagoland!)

KatieK
November 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Wow! In Arizona, the lake temperatures are still above 60, and I have a hard time getting anyone to swim with me--when they do go out, everyone wears a wetsuit.

My current source of swim buddies will dry up after Ironman Arizona on November 20th. I'm hoping I can connect with a group of kids training for Alcatraz.

G_Swim
November 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
42 degrees in Long Island Sound!?! Here in CT the water is still "comfortably" in the 50s. I've been wearing my wetsuit the last couple of days, but am planning to going back without it during the weekend. I;m having a harder time with the cold this year than in the past, but still hope to swim outdoors into December.

rtodd
November 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
42 Yep! Cold Spring Harbor is where cold underground springs flush into the sound. It's about 5 deg warmer as you head about 1/2 mile out toward the mouth of the sound.

Report today was that the water was 50, so that's better. the weather has been cooperating.

Viva O Fear
November 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Not me, even down here in San Diego, I quite the skin at 65 wet suit to 60 then out! You guys are real amazing for getting in!

rtodd
November 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Measured high 30's but three of us went in. Did about 1000 yds and got out. Borrowed some blue 70 socks and this helped, two caps, no gloves.

I felt alive.

swimsuit addict
November 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Brighton Beach is still holding steady at 50/51.

rtodd
November 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Full wetsuit of course!

Janet, we measure with a point and shoot thing (infra red I imagine). How do you measure? Maybe our reading is off?

Get a good night sleep for the meet!

Rob.

swimsuit addict
November 20th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Full wetsuit of course!

Janet, we measure with a point and shoot thing (infra red I imagine). How do you measure? Maybe our reading is off?

Get a good night sleep for the meet!

Rob.

We have one swimmer who ties a thermometer to her suit--it hangs down below her as she swims. (I've tried this, it doesn't impede your stroke unless you like turning over to do backstroke now and again.) Hers is the official temp reading when she's out there. If she's not, our longtime swimmers estimate a temp. I used to be skeptical about the latter method, but it's uncanny how well they match the thermometer readings!

Chicken of the Sea
November 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
We have one swimmer who ties a thermometer to her suit--it hangs down below her as she swims. (I've tried this, it doesn't impede your stroke unless you like turning over to do backstroke now and again.) Hers is the official temp reading when she's out there. If she's not, our longtime swimmers estimate a temp. I used to be skeptical about the latter method, but it's uncanny how well they match the thermometer readings!

Glad I'm not the only dorker who swims with a thermometer tied to her suit sometimes :)
(I get curious as to how much "warmer" or "colder" the warm or cold patches really are..)

swimsuit addict
November 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Glad I'm not the only dorker who swims with a thermometer tied to her suit sometimes :)
(I get curious as to how much "warmer" or "colder" the warm or cold patches really are..)

So how much warmer or colder are they? I'm curious, but like backstroke too much to swim with a thermometer. :)

Chicken of the Sea
November 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
So how much warmer or colder are they? I'm curious, but like backstroke too much to swim with a thermometer. :)

to me even 1 degree feels significantly different when it's below 60. I was surprised!

rtodd
November 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Swam Thanksgiving! It's getting cold.

Observation: the flatter and calmer the water, the colder and the choppier, the warmer. I think the chop stirs up the warmer water underneath? When it is glass, the top water cools overnight due to radiant loss....a theory.

I still like flat.

Chris Lowe
November 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Nice article in the Wall Street Journal (you may recognize the name of the paper, it's now another tabloid owned by evil Rupert "I'll hack your voicemail for a good story" Murdoch)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204452104577055950095852414.html

JAR
December 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Monterey Bay is between 52 to 60 year round. Come join the Kelp Krawlers every Sunday 11:15am at Lover's Point parking lot in Pacific Grove. All are welcome (no charge), wetsuit optional. We do between 2-3km. It's like church for us.

G_Swim
December 14th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'm still swimming as of 12/11 here in Long Island Sound. The water is probably still a comfortable 50 (though I have finally put on the wetsuit), but the air is now COLD. It was below freezing on Sunday. The swim was great. I may be done for the year (it's hard to get out there when it's always dark after work), but I'd like to go in at least once more to beat my previous latest swim (December 12th).

rtodd
December 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Water was in the mid 40's today. The feet numbed up no problem, but the hands were a problem. Two caps and the head was OK and the face stung for a while.

Wind picked up and white caps formed so the swim was about 1000 yds.

I should be able to do a descent swim on New Year's day to ring in the new year.

ViveBene
December 31st, 2011, 04:06 PM
An early Polar Plunge in L Michigan today, followed by a couple of brave souls who did some stroking (no wetsuits or mitts, caps). Water temp. 38.

chaos
January 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM
45 mins in 45 degrees today at Brighton Beach. Bright and sunny out!

jaadams1
January 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
45 mins in 45 degrees today at Brighton Beach. Bright and sunny out!

I can't believe you guys do that! I'm assuming no wetsuit either??!?!?? :afraid:

chaos
January 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
I can't believe you guys do that! I'm assuming no wetsuit either??!?!?? :afraid:
no rubber! i won't say it didn't hurt.

jaadams1
January 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM
no rubber! i won't say it didn't hurt.

Well, more power to all of you out there. I can say you won't find me out there in that! My one OW experience last summer at 70 was enough for me. But I'm used to being in 81 or so in the pool all the time too!