PDA

View Full Version : Get the chlorine smell outta me!!

belly_hippie
October 21st, 2003, 06:13 PM
Swimmers,

My new pool is drowning me in chlorine! I can smell it miles away. I use Ultra Swim shampoo/conditioner and it helps with the smell in my hair but what about my body?? My boyfriend has been complaining about *THAT* smell! Arg! I can smell it too and it's really driving me nuts! What do you girls/guys use to smell like a baby's bottom?????????

jennyfer80
October 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM
i use oil of olay soap-free cleanser....its stuff you can put on one of those poofy things and it makes lots of lather and smells great. it makes your skin really soft too. its about $3 ? a bottle

if you have money to blow i'm sure there are a lot of things at bath and body that will help.

if you are short on money probably anything scented and soapy at walmart or target would work.

btw...you don't have to use ultra-swim to get chlorine out of your hair, any decent shampoo will get it out.

aquageek
October 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM
Regretably I have found the only time I don't reek of chlorine (despite my best efforts) is when I'm on vacation and can't swim. I have tried it all and find a hot shower and lots of soap helps but if you get caught in the rain - ugh, you will know you are a swimmer.

I have found that shampoos designed to remove chlorine do tend to work slightly better and they are about the same price.

Shaky
October 21st, 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by belly_hippie
My boyfriend has been complaining about *THAT* smell! Arg!

You need a new boyfriend. That chlorine smell is sexy.

laineybug
October 21st, 2003, 08:23 PM
Sheer Blonde, does a great job of getting the chlorine out of hair and can be found at most grocery stores.

You can buy expensive body soap from online swim shops to remove the chlorine smell. In my opinion the jury is still out on that.

While nuzzling my ear my boyfriend said, "Mmmm, I love the way your ears smell like italian salad dressing." (LOL, I do the vinegar/alcohol thing at least once a week sometimes more often if my ears feel clogged)

Light
October 21st, 2003, 09:39 PM
ah ha! so that's why I've not managed to get a girlfriend for so many years :P

I might sound like an idiot, but I thought swim caps do a nice job of keeping the smell out of the hair? At least it was MUCH better with the swim cap...no "dried up like some twig" hair...

About the smell on the skin, my theory is that no amount of washing will get rid of the chlorine smell, because the smells is "smart", in that once you manage to remove a part of it by water, the skin and water sorta form a "protective layer" so no more chlorine gets washed away (same but in reverse of the theory of how some ppl thinks showering beforehands limits chlorine absorption)... But, everytime after we dried off, sat around, and got wet again (sweat...etc), the chlorine rushes out like some hungry hounds! So, my theory is, if we can somehow trick our skin (or that evil chlorine molecules, forgive my poor chemistry) into thinking that we've stopped trying to force the smell out, and then WHAM! we go at it again, maybe it'll work! Magnificent! (oh, now I see why I don't have a girlfriend ;p)

But seriously, have anyone tried using dry sauna as a way of chlorine removal? Granted it cannot be a chlorine-smelling sauna... Reason being that our sweat comes from within, which is very different because it forces our sweat glands to open up, AND sweat goes from inside out, instead of the other way around... So, go into a sauna, sweat, dry off (or even wash off, then dry), sweat more, repeat until smell goes away? Anyone tried this? Granted this is not a everyday thing that you'd go through... It's just for one of those emergency and extremely rare situations where one'd really like to pretend one's not a swimmer... :)

I've been experimenting, but have yet to be able to form a satisfactory conclusion (basically, it hasn't worked the way I wanted it to :P), since my sauna smells like the pool... :P

jerrycat
October 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM
wet your hair, and then cap it--the payoff is so huge! Especially if you're a blond, or have light hair.

For soap, the only thing that has worked for me is Dr. Bronner's soap. Supposedly it is Pure Castile soap. I think Leonard says it not--but according to that whacky lable, it is.

YOu could find it in health food stores, and maybe even your grocery store. The peppermint smells terrific, as does the lavendar...haven't tried the others, but it does a great job with a washcloth. When you see it, you'll know what I mean about the whacky label--it's crazy.

;)

Leonard Jansen
October 22nd, 2003, 08:51 AM
You can use the Ultraswim from your hair and spread it over your body. That will get the chlorine odor off you. Ultraswim contains sodium thiosulfate, a strong, but fairly safe reducing agent that bonds well with chlorine and allows it to be washed away. BTW, this is the same chemical that is used in most of the products that you can use to rinse your suit. You can buy pure sodium thiosulfate at places that sell photography chemicals. 1 teaspoon to a quart of water is as good as any suit saver chemical & much cheaper.

Jerrycat - Bronner's used to be castile soap, back when the real Dr Bronner was still alive (I think he died in 1997 at a very advanced age.). Back then they used alot of olive oil, which is what castile soap has as its base. Now they use hemp oil and it has not helped the product. Tell you what - If you'd like, send me your address (use the personal mail option here at USMS to get it to me) and I will send you a few bars of real castile soap, gratis. You WILL see a difference.

-LBJ

Janis
October 22nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
Malibu swim and sun is a shampoo/body wash. Sold att swim shops, are other body soaps for chlorine removal. I just use my shampoo all over.

About getting in the shower and getting wet first as reducing the amount of chlorine absorbed--I think that is only for hair not your skin.

laineybug
October 22nd, 2003, 10:54 AM
actually I'm not sure wetting the hair first works either due to osmosis.

WaterRat
October 22nd, 2003, 03:46 PM
From my experience, showering and wetting the hair first and then wearing a cap does significantly reduce the smell. However, I concur with Shaky, find a new boyfriend before it's too late. The sweet smell of chlorine can only be likened to the smell of a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies coming out of the oven.

jennyfer80
October 22nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
ok i just remembered this......the absolute best thing i have ever used was h2o brand seaweed/kelp (something like that) shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. It smelled so great, i couldn't stop smelling my hair. it was the best! it was a little travel thing i got a while a go, and now that i have used it all up i can't find it anywhere. but if you can find it i'm sure you will absolutely love it and not smell like chlorine.

if you do know where to get it tell me :)

right now i am using citri-shine s&c which works really well too.

i've heard putting some leave-in conditioner in your hair before you swim is supposed to work really well and do that thing that happens when you leave conditioner on your hair and add heat- deep conditioning? i've never done it though because i have enough trouble keeping my cap on as it is.

mickijean
October 23rd, 2003, 12:03 AM
I have very thick hair, can barely get a cap to cover it. But if I wet it thoroughly and use a cap I can pretty well keep the chlorine smell out and can also keep it from turning to straw. I use Aveda Almond Cherry Bark conditioner when I'm done swimming. It's kind of expensive but smells great and keeps my hair manageable.

I've tried lots of soaps including the anti-chlorine types. They are so-so and in my opinion tend to be drying. I like oatmeal soap to deal with the dry skin - and here in the north country the winter air is very dry, adding swimming to the mix is disaster for skin. But who really needs skin anyway? I may give the castile a try. I swim in the evening and if I take another shower the next morning I find that usually gets rid of the chlorine smell at least for the day.

Marcy82
October 24th, 2003, 02:51 PM
someone mentioned the malibu swim products. are they any good? i'm using ultra swim right now and it seems to be pretty drying. i think that is also because i use a hair dryer every day.

AndrewC
October 6th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Try SwimSpray. It's a vitamin C spray that completely eliminates the chlorine that gets stuck to your hair and skin when you swim. You use it in the shower as part of your normal shower routine - so you can use whatever other products that you like.

www.SwimSpray.com (http://www.SwimSpray.com)

jswim
October 7th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I've been using dermaswim pro with good results. It's a pre-swim lotion that blocks the chlorine from getting absorbed into your skin. I had a big problem with itchy super-dry skin from the chlorine and thought at one point I'd have to quit swimming!

Needless to say I was VERY happy to find this stuff. I'm curious about that vitamin-C spray too.. perhaps I'll give that a try.

Good luck!
J

WPSWIMS
October 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Andrew, Were you the one who stuck your card on my car at Breckenridge last winter. I drive a Subaru with ISWIM2. Guess you figured out that I swim Masters! Is it available in Colorado where the air is so dry especially in Summit County? By the way snow is expected tonight in the mountains.

philoswimmer
October 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM
You can use the Ultraswim from your hair and spread it over your body. That will get the chlorine odor off you.

I do this, too, with the lather from my hair. I then rinse and soap again with Body Shop glycerin soap, either lemon or grapefruit. I use Lubriderm lotion when I get out of the shower, right after toweling off. No chlorine smell on skin or hair -- I don't trust my own judgment on this, since I figure my ability to smell chlorine is shot, but my partner says there's no chlorine smell (and he is very sensitive to smell).

jaadams1
October 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I just get used to it. The chlorine really isn't going to ever get all the way out no matter what you do, especially if you're a daily swimmer. :)

KatieK
October 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I swim every day, but I don't smell like chlorine. The only thing I do is take a shower and wet my hair before I get in.

BTW, I don't mind the smell of chlorine. I think it smells clean and swimmer-y.

no200fly
October 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I love the smell of chlorine in the morning... it smells like victory.

Sheryl
October 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM
The chlorine smell doesn't bother me, or my partner. It's a clean smell, I've gotten used to it over the years, and feel like something is wrong if I can't swim for a week or so, and the smell goes away.

aquajock
October 8th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The sweet smell of chlorine can only be likened to the smell of a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies coming out of the oven.

Or not...

clyde hedlund
October 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Babies yes, but please, not their bottoms? Want to smell like a baby, then use baby powder after a shower, it's economical too. Or mix up a small batch of (3:1 ratio) rubbing alcohol and baby oil (shake well first) or coconut oil, for a rub down to make you smell baby fresh. If common bar soaps like Zest and Irish Spring don't work, then try old fashion Tincture of Green Soap with a wash cloth and that should do the trick. For shampoo, can't beat the stuff us kids grew up with like Prell and Breck. Kouros after shave for men and Woodhue cologne for women for post swim dates.

gigi
October 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Babies yes, but please, not their bottoms? Want to smell like a baby, then use baby powder after a shower, it's economical too. Or mix up a small batch of (3:1 ratio) rubbing alcohol and baby oil (shake well first) or coconut oil, for a rub down to make you smell baby fresh. If common bar soaps like Zest and Irish Spring don't work, then try old fashion Tincture of Green Soap with a wash cloth and that should do the trick. For shampoo, can't beat the stuff us kids grew up with like Prell and Breck. Kouros after shave for men and Woodhue cologne for women for post swim dates.

HAHA! Clyde, if you're going to go with 70's nostalgia recipes I'm going to raise your Breck with an ORIGINAL Clariol Herbal Essence (Geen) or Lemon-up, and for fragrance I'm going to suggest Bonne Bell "Skin" or Loves'" Baby Soft" for ladies and "Hai Karate" for the guys. Woodhue! Good one.

For date night, finish off with a little Yardly of London Slicker lip gloss. Guys - a little dab of Brylcream will tidy up that hair.

As for me, I don't think the smell of chlorine is a bad thing. Smells clean to me.

msgrupp
October 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Someone is dating themselves!!! What about Loves Lemon Fresh (I think it was also a perfume or am I just remembering a bottle with a lemon on top?) or Jean Nate? We must be from the same era!!!

clyde hedlund
October 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Good heavens gigi, you don't want to end up smelling like the laundry? No greasy kid stuff for me, I prefer Vitalis - it absolutely eliminates the chlorine smell from the hair.

clyde hedlund
October 10th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Jean Nate is still the best and cheapest after shave tonic per ounce in the big bottle as it was back in the fifties. Put some in a small plastic bottle to splash all over after swim bath. But the most elegant solution ladies, after your evening swim, is Alexandra de Markoff Enigma Body Lotion. Guarantee, no one would guess you just came out of the pool. And if it's a formal function you're about to attend, after a quick dip, a couple of pumps of de Markoff's Alexandra will erase all evidence that you were in the pool.

stanflys
October 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Here is another :2cents: worth. several of my team mates, and both my wife and I like to shower before and after swimming to reduce the smell. Occaisonal saunas or steams also help and are fun. But, here is the money part, we also use the abrasive or rough bath cloths to help remove those dead skin cells that are still with us. They are the dry, skin sponges that seem to load up on the chemicals. When they get wet again, the smell is there. :agree: its more than the pores!

heidi k
October 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I agree with Stan. I got an extremely vigorous exfoliating scrub at a Korean spa. I had no chlorine smell for a couple weeks after that. They use a very rough mitt to scrub off every bit of dead skin. It's a bit shocking the first time you do it. It's much more effective than the nylon puffy things that make lots of suds but are not abrasive enough.

AndrewC
October 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hi MileHigh --- Yes I did put that card there. I could smell the chlorine wafting out of your car :). Glad the snow is starting to fall in CO.

Regarding the skepticism that chlorine can never be completely washed off you you, that's wrong. SwimSpray immediately gets it out of your hair and off of your skin. I have some cool videos showing this. Better still is to try it and notice that you don't smell like chlorine anymore. I can send along a sample if you email the info@ link on the www.SwimSpray.com web page.

AndrewC
October 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
You shouldn't have to get used to having a thin coating of bleach on your hair and skin all the time. I don't think it's good for you.