PDA

View Full Version : WWYD~ My 2nd meet ever

magick17
December 8th, 2011, 08:37 AM
And I'm tired and stressed from life.
I've already entered but would just blow it off or still attempt the swim?
Need some inspiration.

Fenella
December 8th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Need some inspiration.

:duel:MAN UP !

When summat tough needs to be done, gather your courage, accept responsibility and just get on with it

Fenella
December 8th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Need some inspiration.

:duel:MAN UP !

When summat tough needs to be done, gather your courage, accept responsibility and just get on with it

gobears
December 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Need some inspiration.

Go and be social. Use the meet as a way to do something different. Realize you're tired and stressed and see how you swim without pressuring yourself to be perfect. Will you feel less stressed if you blow it off or will that actually increase your stress level and make you wish you'd attempted?

@Fenella: I hate the phrase, "man up." I know what you're trying to say, but it's a sexist phrase that's insulting to both men and women, IMO.

knelson
December 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
If you're tired and stressed use the meet as an opportunity to blow off some steam. Don't even worry about how you swim. Just go and have fun!

Swimosaur
December 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Need some inspiration.

Do it! Who among us is not tired and stressed from life? But for one day, or for a few hours, you can make the world go away, and focus on your own, personal 30 seconds or 60 seconds ... what a gift it is, to have the time and the health to do it!

... the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all ...

Right now, time and chance are with us! We are lucky to be able to do it! Winning is finishing your chosen events, with the best effort you can muster on the day, clock be damned. Winning is celebrating the achievements of your teammates, of everyone on the deck, and of the octegenarian who finishes her 100 back in 6 and a half minutes. Celebrate your gift! Have fun with it!

Do it!

TRYM_Swimmer
December 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Do it and just have fun!!!! You will be surrounded by the nicest group of people you're ever likely to meet. And who knows, you may make a friend for life, get some networking contacts which may help in work, play, etc., or in my case, meet the woman I've been married to for 37 years.

Meets make it all worthwhile!

ande
December 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Need some inspiration.

Go
make some magick 17

You can swim faster faster
U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster
And when you are inspired
U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Ande

__steve__
December 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
My best performances were with less than 2 hours sleep, when I was inexperienced (after swimming just 1.5 years in my life), and showing up late and unprepared.

Unfortunately my worst swims were when I was in my best shape, after 9+ hours of sleep, well rested, and prepared (last weekend:bitching:).

Take every chance you have to race because sometimes you'll want to but wont have a chance.

Karl_S
December 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Typically I find that swimming helps to relieve life's pressures.
We know nothing of your life, but when one has a job and a family and
life's health challenges, just completing a swim race is a victory.
Have fun!

Michael Blatt
December 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Need some inspiration.

The race is always won by someone who entered!

Last weekend I was getting over a week of respiratory infection, felt nowhere near 100%, but went to the meet I'd entered (largely because I'd promised to swim some relays). I had one of the best meets of my life -- and I'm exceptionally glad I went.

I hope all the encouragment gets you to go to the meet, swim some and have a good time!

orca1946
December 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I would go swim to blow steam off & enjoy myself!!!:applaud::2cents:

magick17
December 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone.. i'll keep reading these over and over till we arrive at the meet!!!!

aztimm
December 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Which meet is it?

magick17
December 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
LEMS...Hudson, OH meet, a group of us are travelling from Pittsburgh....

rxleakem
December 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Enjoy the swim. It might provide a temporary relief from the stress you are having. Like others here have said, don't worry about times. Swim fast, meet new friends, and have fun. :)

swimmieAvsFan
December 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
LEMS...Hudson, OH meet, a group of us are travelling from Pittsburgh....

Definitely go- some teammates and I went to this one a few years back (2004 I think), and we had a good time. Folks running the meet are very nice, and I remember having some pretty decent times.

Water Rat
December 9th, 2011, 02:04 PM
LEMS...Hudson, OH meet, a group of us are travelling from Pittsburgh....Good luck. Do you swim with Chartiers Masters? I think I recognize the pool in your avatar. I practiced with your group a while back. Really nice people.

ColoJoel
December 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
[quote=Swimosaur;256198]Do it! Who among us is not tired and stressed from life? But for one day, or for a few hours, you can make the world go away, and focus on your own, personal 30 seconds or 60 seconds ... what a gift it is, to have the time and the health to do it!

... the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all ...

Right now, time and chance are with us! We are lucky to be able to do it! Winning is finishing your chosen events, with the best effort you can muster on the day, clock be damned. Winning is celebrating the achievements of your teammates, of everyone on the deck, and of the octegenarian who finishes her 100 back in 6 and a half minutes. Celebrate your gift! Have fun with it!

Do it![/qu

ote]
Very inspiring!! -- I'd say that this is my philosophy also (when it comes to competition and meets :-)