PDA

View Full Version : 8 BRIDGES 2012

chaos
December 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM
www.8bridges.org

In just over 3 weeks, we will begin accepting applications for all seven stages... June 25 - July 2.

Check the website for more info, including current predictions and swimmer pace per stage targets.

Michael Heather
December 28th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Aw, shucks. In Long Beach, CA you can swim under 5 bridges in a 1.2 mile swim around Naples Island. Doesn't take a week to do it either.

evmo
December 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Aw, shucks. In Long Beach, CA you can swim under 5 bridges in a 1.2 mile swim around Naples Island. Doesn't take a week to do it either.

lame

Rob Copeland
December 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
:drowning:
I thought Naples Island only had 3 bridges?

And it may take some of us 8 days to circumnavigate the Island, with a stop for cocktails at the Long Beach Yacht Club.:wine::drink: :drowning:

Dave, is this series going to USMS sanctioned? I didnít see any mention in my cursory review of your site. It sounds like a great challenge that Iíll all to my one-of-these-days list.

chaos
December 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Dave, is this series going to USMS sanctioned? I didnít see any mention in my cursory review of your site. It sounds like a great challenge that Iíll all to my one-of-these-days list.

Rob, yes... it will be USMS sanctioned as it was last year. Getting all the paperwork ready this week.

Michael Heather
December 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Naples is actually three islands and they have a total of 8 bridges. So you could spend the day swimming around the larger island (2.7 mi) with it's 3 bridges, then swim in the canals around the other two, which have 5 other bridges.

Not as scenic as New York since they are all at sea level, but rife with opportunities to get close and personal with some boats.

Chicken of the Sea
December 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Fingers, toes, arms, eyes and even legs crossed that I can swim a leg this year. I've got my white swimsuit ready!

mjtyson
December 30th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Question for you: why the different pace strategies? That part I don't understand

chaos
December 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Question for you: why the different pace strategies? That part I don't understand

the hudson is tidal. generally, the ebb grows stronger as you get closer to NYC.

the pace calculations are the average speed one would need to maintain in order to finish each stage. these take into account current speed predictions and tide shifts. its not an exact science, as there are many possible weather related situations which can have influence on the rivers ebb and flow.

chaos
December 31st, 2011, 12:07 AM
Today someone asked me which stage was my favorite. This is a tough question as the river varies quite a lot in that 120 mile span. The adrenaline and excitement at the start of stage one was extreme. When we hit the water, and all the kayakers fell into place next to their swimmers, I felt calm for the first time in weeks. There were long stretches where the water was like glass. This section of the Hudson was familiar to me because we did a test run of this stage only a few weeks prior to the official event.... measuring current speeds across the width of the river and monitoring swimmers progress against the flood tide. The Saugerties Lighthouse juts out at point where the river narrows, and we pass the house mid way between the Rip Van Winkle Bridge and the Kingston- Rhinecliff Bridge where I stood one summer day and dreamed of swimming this length (and later all the way to the Verrazzano).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/nyregion/the-revival-of-marathon-swims-comes-to-new-york.html?_r=4&ref=nyregion

Thats a pic of the Swimsuit Addict taken during our test swim!

evmo
December 31st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Today someone asked me which stage was my favorite. This is a tough question as the river varies quite a lot in that 120 mile span. The adrenaline and excitement at the start of stage one was extreme. When we hit the water, and all the kayakers fell into place next to their swimmers, I felt calm for the first time in weeks. There were long stretches where the water was like glass. This section of the Hudson was familiar to me because we did a test run of this stage only a few weeks prior to the official event.... measuring current speeds across the width of the river and monitoring swimmers progress against the flood tide. The Saugerties Lighthouse juts out at point where the river narrows, and we pass the house mid way between the Rip Van Winkle Bridge and the Kingston- Rhinecliff Bridge where I stood one summer day and dreamed of swimming this length (and later all the way to the Verrazzano).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/nyregion/the-revival-of-marathon-swims-comes-to-new-york.html?_r=4&ref=nyregion

Thats a pic of the Swimsuit Addict taken during our test swim!

This is beautiful. I wish you had time to write more, DB. You're very good at it.

chaos
January 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Tomorrow registration opens up!

Which/how many stages will you be doing? (he asks from the little cyber hut in beautiful Maho Bay).... jealous? you should be!

fatboy
January 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Tomorrow registration opens up!

Which/how many stages will you be doing? (he asks from the little cyber hut in beautiful Maho Bay).... jealous? you should be!

I AM a little jealous!

jefflynn
January 22nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
david b, where in "Hudson Valley, NY" are you, I'm in Hyde Park just north of Poughkeepsie?

pwb
January 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Dave,

I wish you and the swimmers and the crew the utmost of success in 2012 ... because, while doing at least one stage of this is on my open water bucket list, I need you all to be successful enough to carry this forward into 2013, when I just might be able to swing a stage.

chaos
January 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
david b, where in "Hudson Valley, NY" are you, I'm in Hyde Park just north of Poughkeepsie?

Hi Jeff,
I live in High Falls (6 miles from SUNY New Paltz)

E=H2O
January 23rd, 2012, 12:39 AM
Dave

Your website is great. I particularly like the Swim Stages page and how it separately highlights the section of each stage of the river in the photo. I'd love to hang around after MIMS and get in a stage but my wife would kill me.

Chicken of the Sea
January 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Dave

Your website is great. I particularly like the Swim Stages page and how it separately highlights the section of each stage of the river in the photo. I'd love to hang around after MIMS and get in a stage but my wife would kill me.

If you just stay in the water she can't get you

KaizenSwimmer
January 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm planning on swimming Stage 3, which I also did last year, and paddling another stage. I'll get to work on registration.

chaos
February 2nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I received an email from a probable entrant asking to compare the difficulty of 8 Bridges to some other more well known swims in the area. There are, of course, many variables to weigh and this list doesn't factor in the accumulated fatigue of back to back swims. With that in mind, I'll do my best:

Listed from easiest to most difficult (opinions may vary).

Little Red Lighthouse

Aquarium 5k

Chesapeake Bay 4.4

Stage 3 Mid-Hudson Bridge to Newburgh-Beacon Bridge

Boston Light**

Kingdom 10 mile

Stage 4 Newburgh-Beacon Bridge to Bear Mountain Bridge

Stage 6 Tappan Zee to George Washington Bridge

Pitonof

Ederle

Stage 1 Rip Van Winkle Bridge to Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge

Stage 7 George Washington Bridge to Verrazzano

Stage 2 Kingston-Rhinecliff to Mid-Hudson Bridge

MIMS

Stage 5 Bear Mt Bridge to Tappan Zee

Tampa Bay

** cold temperatures could add to the difficulty for some

ViveBene
June 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM
8 Bridges begins today! Good swims to all, especially those doing all 7 stages, 120 miles, or a stretch swim for themselves! (18 miles would probably be the Swim of Death for me... :) ... even if current-assisted.)

(Adding) They're in the water!! Here's a blog to follow: http://www.8bridges.org/blog/

ViveBene
June 25th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Stage 1 Rip Van Winkle Bridge to Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge (18.3 miles)

All completed the first day, though an electrical storm near the end of the stage had one swimmer exiting the water, then reentering.
Congratulations to LBJ!

There is a nice recap of the day's swim on the 8 Bridges blog.
The numbers thin out for tomorrow's stage 2. It looks as though most folks might be swimming one stage per year. Two are swimming the entire 120-mile marathon this year; a few are doing two stages.

swimthegoodfight
June 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM
best of luck swimmers... one fantastic effort and event for swimmers and organizers

chaos
June 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for following!
Yes, LBJ had a great swim yesterday! ...as did Jaimie Monahan, Hannah Borgeson (swim tourist), Rondi Davies, Grace Van Der Byl.

Stage 2 was Rondi, Grace, Janet (swimsuit addict) and Lisa Neidrauer.

ViveBene
June 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM
8 Bridges - the most romantic of all swims, and the longest stage swim in the universe (somebody said that, I know ;) ).

I'm enjoying the blog posts and FB updates (especially the photos), and find the unfolding of the swims equally as compelling as Omaha trials.

I hope the weather stays fair!

ViveBene
June 27th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Stage 3. Mid-Hudson Bridge to Newburgh Beacon Bridge

Wednesday: Good luck and a following breeze to all swimmers on today's segment, 13.2 miles.

chaos
June 27th, 2012, 09:09 PM
8 Bridges - the most romantic of all swims, and the longest stage swim in the universe (somebody said that, I know ;) ).

I'm enjoying the blog posts and FB updates (especially the photos), and find the unfolding of the swims equally as compelling as Omaha trials.

I hope the weather stays fair!

Thanks for following VB! We had a little wind chop today, but it wasn't nearly as strong as predicted. Its supposed to settle down more tomorrow.

ViveBene
June 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM
It's superb that everybody finished on the first 3 days of this 7-day marathon swim, and finishing is not a given, what with turning tides, electrical storms, uh, cottonmouths... Monongy and Memphre ... :)

rxleakem
June 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for following VB!

I second the motion! Fun to follow the swim on Facebook as well. Great job, swimmers! :woot:

ViveBene
June 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Thursday. Stage 4. Newburgh Beacon Bridge to Bear Mountain Bridge, 15 miles

Eight swimmers have splashed for this stage, which takes a scenic route past Bannerman's Island, Hudson Highlands, Devils Playground, West Point, Tarryton, and on to Bear Mntn Bridge (all places I've never been to :)). Some cross winds are expected. The map at blog post shows a dramatic change from fairly rural to densely settled terrain right after Pollepel Island:

http://www.8bridges.org/the-stage-4-line-up/

chaos
June 29th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Thursday. Stage 4. Newburgh Beacon Bridge to Bear Mountain Bridge, 15 miles

Eight swimmers have splashed for this stage, which takes a scenic route past Bannerman's Island, Hudson Highlands, Devils Playground, West Point, Tarryton, and on to Bear Mntn Bridge (all places I've never been to :)). Some cross winds are expected. The map at blog post shows a dramatic change from fairly rural to densely settled terrain right after Pollepel Island:

http://www.8bridges.org/the-stage-4-line-up/

Results for Stage 4: Newburgh Beacon Bridge to Bear Mountain Bridge(15.2 miles)
Grace van der Byl 4:10:46
Rondi Davies 4:19:53
William Miller 4:39:48
Eli Falcon 4:49:16
John Reagan 4:55:54
Mary Kavaney 5:30:29
Martin Turecky 5:45:07
Suzanne Sataline 6:28:35

chaos
June 29th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Stage 3. Mid-Hudson Bridge to Newburgh Beacon Bridge

Wednesday: Good luck and a following breeze to all swimmers on today's segment, 13.2 miles.

Results for Stage 3: Mid-Hudson Bridge to Newburgh Beacon Bridge (13.2 miles)
Grace van der Byl 3:42:31
Rondi Davies 3:45:15
David Barra 4:10:59
Devon Clifford 4:22:58
Suzie Dods 4:50:50
Ricardo Grossman 4:58:20

chaos
June 29th, 2012, 07:07 AM
8 Bridges Hudson River Swim 2012 (the longest stage-swim event in the universe!)
Stage 2, 19.8 miles
(Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge to Mid-Hudson Bridge) Results:
1. Grace Van Der Byl 5:28:45
2. Rondi Davies 5:37:30
3. Lisa Neidrauer 5:47:05
4. Janet Harris 6:31:19

chaos
June 29th, 2012, 07:09 AM
8 Bridges Hudson River Swim 2012 (the longest stage-swim event in the universe!)
Stage 1, 18.3 miles
(Rip Van Winkle Bridge to Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge) Results:
1. Grace Van Der Byl 4:31
2. Rondi Davies 4:39
3. Hannah Borgeson 5:04
4. Leonard Jansen 5:45
5. Jaimie Monahan *7:21 (*includes a storm interruption)

ViveBene
June 29th, 2012, 08:04 AM
These times suggest why I won't be swimming a leg of 8 Bridges in my lifetime. Again, it's impressive that all of each day's swimmers have made it through, negotiating tide changes and picking a course carefully to do so.

It looks as though Friday is a rest day, with the swim resuming Saturday at Bear Mntn Bridge and heading toward Tappan Zee.

:banana:

chaos
June 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM
These times suggest why I won't be swimming a leg of 8 Bridges in my lifetime. Again, it's impressive that all of each day's swimmers have made it through, negotiating tide changes and picking a course carefully to do so.

It looks as though Friday is a rest day, with the swim resuming Saturday at Bear Mntn Bridge and heading toward Tappan Zee.

:banana:

We've learned that as the tide changes, so does the ,most favorable route. The kayaks and boats are constantly looking for the best water to swim through. Since the Hudson river is also a commercial shipping lane (we are obligated to yield to commercial traffic), it is not always possible to get the swimmers into the fastest water... and the best route also varies with the swimmers speed.

Today was set aside as a "rain date" for stages 1-4. Fortunately, we have had pretty good weather so, today we rest!

I'll be swimming tomorrow... Stage 5 is unfinished business for me.

ViveBene
July 1st, 2012, 07:35 AM
Sat. Stage 5. Bear Mountain Bridge to Tappan Zee Bridge (19.8 mi)

4 swimmers splashed; all completed the swim, a meandering, at times narrow, at times very open course past (or through) Indian Pt, Haverstraw Bay, Hook Mntn. This is a difficult segment that must be completed within an ebbing tide; the navigators (with some aid from willing Coast Guard) worked hard to find the best current disposition and channels, bringing swimmers on a broad S course on the Tappan Zee approach. Here is Rondi's very detailed blog post about the day: http://www.8bridges.org/over-the-hump/

Sun. Stage 6. Tappan Zee Bridge to George Washington Bridge (15.7 mi)

6 women splash for this penultimate leg, 2 in their 60s. :) Go, Cougars!
Highlights to be glimpsed from the waterline include Piermont Marsh, Pallisades, Yonkers, Spuyten Duyvil. A touch of salt crept into yesterday's swim; today the water will be saltier, and so more buoyant. Along with a current assist from ebb tide, this should help counteract the bit of wind and chop swimmers have worked through all week.

ViveBene
July 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Monday - Last day!
Stage 7. George Washington Bridge to Verrazano Narrows Bridge (18.6 mi)

6 swimmers splash today, for the last time on a glorious adventure.

I'll quote from Rondi's post on expected conditions and course:

Swimmers will splash at 8:30 am on the eastern side of the Hudson River and hug the shore for the first two hours to protect themselves from the flooding tide. When the ebb begins, swimmers will cross to the western, or New Jersey, side of the river passing close to Ellis Island and Liberty Island, and will swim under the shadow of Lady Liberty. Swimmers will also have great views of Governer’s Island and the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges of the East River. The current assist with draw the weary swimmers to the Verazzano-Narrows bridge with a maximum speed 2.7 knots which is significantly faster than we’ve experienced in previous stages. In addition, the Atlantic Ocean mixing with the Hudson’s waters will create cooler (70˚F), saltier conditions.
Weather conditions include a high of 86˚F and winds from the WNW at 12 mph. This is a tail wind – woo hoo!

:applaud:

July 1 WSJ story about 8 Bridges (mit Fotos): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304299704577501012085660788.html

And they're all through! A lovely, splashy visit to Lady Liberty by today's 6 and the close of an inspiriting marathon swim!
I'll bow out now and leave this thread to the organizers to comment.

chaos
July 3rd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Monday - Last day!
Stage 7. George Washington Bridge to Verrazano Narrows Bridge (18.6 mi)

6 swimmers splash today, for the last time on a glorious adventure.

I'll quote from Rondi's post on expected conditions and course:

:applaud:

July 1 WSJ story about 8 Bridges (mit Fotos): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304299704577501012085660788.html

And they're all through! A lovely, splashy visit to Lady Liberty by today's 6 and the close of an inspiriting marathon swim!
I'll bow out now and leave this thread to the organizers to comment.

Thank you for keeping this thread updated VB! I have been a bit "occupied" this week. The course we followed for stage 7 was quite different than last year's. A stronger ebb, meant faster predicted finish times. Additionally, we had lots of eyes across the width of the river watching for the river watching for the dead water for splash time. THE BEST PLANS ARE FLEXIBLE ONES (will be my new mantra)

After a week of hard work and sleep deprivation, I am exhausted but glowing from all the positive feedback. Grace is indeed amazing, and Rondi did so much of the legwork, organizing, group communications, etc.... AND swam the whole enchilada!

The highlights of stage 7 are many... but a few stand out for me:
6 swimmers were guided by 6 kayaks and 8 boats through Manhattan. 4 radio channels and cellphone communication were used to keep the field informed of the headings, check on swimmers, and keep a safe distance from the abundance of commercial and recreational traffic. It was an honor to be a part of that armada.

Martin Tarucky who just a few weeks ago became a US citizen got to swim past the Statue of Liberty... the most iconic land mark of 8 Bridges also signals that swimmers are in the home stretch. I was close by Amanda Hunt's finish. Janet joined her in the water for the last couple of miles to the Verrazano.

There will be flood of pictures, blogs and articles hitting the web in the next few days, and I look forward to seeing/hearing/reading everyone's perspectives.

Peace.