PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Swim, VT, Sat., July 7, 2012

ViveBene
December 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Kingdom Swim, Lake Memphremagog, VT, July 7, 2012
Adults: 10 miles, 6 miles, 3 miles, 1 mile (USMS sanction)
Subadults, too (USAS sanction)
Registration fees increase on January 1, 2012.
www.kingdomswim.org (http://www.kingdomswim.org)

This swim has been selected as the USMS 9+ mile OW Championship swim for 2013, so give it a whirl in 2012!

About 12-15 places left for 10-milers.

And a truly long swim, whole length of the lake, also upcoming this summer. Swim to Canada!
:)

swimthegoodfight
December 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
why does this swim require a kayaker for a 3-mile swim?

i would be coming from houston, tx... it certainly adds expense to bring my own lifeguard. one of the positives of open water swimming is the solace of the swim. i have known kayakers to be essential on a race course, but these weren't 3 mile swims.

i had two kayakers bump into me in two different races in late 2011... no damage done, very apologetic and ridiculous

ViveBene
December 30th, 2011, 07:14 AM

i would be coming from houston, tx... it certainly adds expense to bring my own lifeguard. one of the positives of open water swimming is the solace of the swim. i have known kayakers to be essential on a race course, but these weren't 3 mile swims.

i had two kayakers bump into me in two different races in late 2011... no damage done, very apologetic and ridiculous
I suggest you take this question to the organizers (I am not one). I have swum the 3-mile course, a big loop, and swimmers do get spread out. Kayakers also help keep you on course. It is intended as a safety feature and may help you finish with a faster time.
The organizers can assign you a volunteer local kayaker (for which you pay), so you need not bring anyone.

swimthegoodfight
December 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
thanks - the destination seems a considerable chore & expense from houston, TX for a one-mile swim.

i presume the organizers are being diligent... but overprotective in my opinion.

venue sounds fantastic, and the event seems a 'bucket list' swim.

ViveBene
January 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM
10 places left for 10-mile swim, July 7, Lake Memphremagog, VT.

Jim B.
January 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Kingdom Swim is a great event. I did my first 10 miler there last year.

Sea2006
January 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I did my first open water swim here last year and swam the 6 mile. It was lovely and the Northeast Kingdom is beautiful. The start of the race was hard with all the kayaks, but I was glad I had my open spotter once we spread out. There was white chop/poor viability and I wouldn't have been able to see the buoys without my spotter.

mjtyson
January 8th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Sad I'll miss this one in 2012, but happy to see it'll be the USMS 9+ championship for 2013!

dave-0@comcast.net
January 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM

I did the 6 miler last year. The wind picked up coming down the length of the lake on the return loop, there was a 2' chop and the buoys disappeared and the shoreline keep getting lost. Hell, I was even losing my yaker from time to time, but he brought me back home. Was a lot of fun, though.

ViveBene
January 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Now 4 places left in 10-miler, per the meet director.

Usually a few people can't make it, and some places open up later. But it's not guaranteed. Imagine the disgruntle of being bumped down to a 6-mile swim (quelle horreur!)

ViveBene
May 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Registration closes June 1 for 10-mile, 6-mile, and 3-mile course.

ViveBene
May 24th, 2012, 09:34 AM
May 24 update:

This is the last week to register for Kingdom Swim 2012.

Registration closes June 1 (or, more likely, May 31). There are still spots open at all distances.

slknight
May 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM
May 24 update:

This is the last week to register for Kingdom Swim 2012.

Registration closes June 1 (or, more likely, May 31). There are still spots open at all distances.

I thought the 10 mile was full? It says they only take 75 for each course and there are more than 75 registered.

ViveBene
May 24th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I thought the 10 mile was full? It says they only take 75 for each course and there are more than 75 registered.

Those numbers proved mobile. From the website:

Registration for each distance in 2012 is now open. Each course is limited to the first 100 participants who are registered and paid. These limits have been set to assure that we can adequately support each swimmer who makes the commitment to join the swim.
I vaguely recall the meet director sending out an email to the effect that he would carry on to the 100-person mark as long as he could find kayakers to cover.
And I'm pretty sure some of the 10-mile swimmers will drop out.
But do feel free to check in with the meet director, Phil White, at the website.

Edited to add: I've just received confirmation from the meet director that the cap has been raised to 100.

rxleakem
May 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Susan, this would be the perfect tune-up for Nubble! Come join us :D

slknight
May 28th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Susan, this would be the perfect tune-up for Nubble! Come join us :D

That would make 3 weeks in a row of races if I sign up for Peaks though. Not sure I can swing it.

ViveBene
June 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Getting on the plane in 23 days for this swim!
Lake Michigan, the training ground, is holding nicely at about 61 degrees. :)

Anyone else choosing the lucky swimsuit, putting extra sunscreen in the kit, and otherwise gearing up for a splendid big community swim?

rxleakem
June 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Anyone else choosing the lucky swimsuit, putting extra sunscreen in the kit, and otherwise gearing up for a splendid big community swim?

I have a snazzy new suit, matching team tee, and extra sunblock. See you soon! :woot: