PDA

View Full Version : Writer says Phelps's break-up a bad omen for London

Couroboros
January 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
This writer seems to think so. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011701-michael-phelps-losing-nicole-johnson-a-bad-sign-for-phelps-in-olympic-year)

Personally, I think he's full of it, but what do you guys think? I can't apply much perspective as I don't have much experience with relationships and swimming, as thankfully those two areas of my life haven't been very rocky with each other.

That Guy
January 5th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to care about this, but it's not working. :dunno:

ande
January 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
It all depends on the dynamics of the relationship and girl's personality.

I've heard some coaches say that athletes getting first time fulltime serious girlfriends can be a distraction and hurt their performance.

Some relationships are positive and can enhance or improve an athlete's performance.
Some relationships can be negative or toxic, creating extra drama that distracts the athlete at training and may affect the athlete's recovery.

Break ups can be very difficult emotionally. They can negatively affect an athlete's focus and sleep.

I don't know any specifics on Phelps situation. Don't know what he's feeling or going through, though I believe he's very focused and training hard. I bet Phelps will be fine at trials and London.

There's no doubt he has many opportunities to date very attractive eligible women.
Plus due to his wealth and fame there's probably some aggressively pursuing him.

He'll be fine. We'll see. Times will tell.

Thrashing Slug
January 6th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I doubt it will matter. I think Lochte is much more of threat to Phelps' medal chances than any emotional angst from a break-up.

havepoolwillswim
January 7th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I doubt it will matter. I think Lochte is much more of threat to Phelps' medal chances than any emotional angst from a break-up.

exactly

orca1946
January 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Better now than next spring- summer!!!!!!!
I hope he put his brain into training!

PatrickJM
January 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
this blabber only makes Phelps more determined.

tjrpatt
January 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM
It is just another person trying to tear Phelps down. You can't do it by words.

cclarke
January 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Abstinence can only improve performance :bliss:

Redbird Alum
January 9th, 2012, 11:49 AM
"Women Weaken Legs!" - quote from my Men's Team Coach in college!

ande
January 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Abstinence can only improve performance

Both are Myths, there's no basis in fact. Just opinion.

__steve__
January 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Abstinence can only improve performance :bliss:

if your staying up all night persuing nature's process of genetic recombination instead of resting - then yes. For the most part, good sex generally increases testosterone levels and likely performance.

knelson
January 9th, 2012, 12:50 PM
He's got 99 problems, but...:bolt:

2fish&1whale
January 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM
So what,his girl friend broke up with him-he still has :applaud:,don't he?-or were they amputated?:D

SwimStud
January 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM
they have strip bars in London...he'll be OK!

lefty
January 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Isn't that like saying the quote, "To be or Not to be" came from the movie Shakespear in Love?

Chasing tail. Wow.

Paredes
January 12th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Well when my girlfriend literally broke up with me the night right before my league finals, it gave me adrenaline. I never wanted to win so much in my life and I ended up swimming the best race of my life, but this season I'll be better ;)

__steve__
January 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Well when my girlfriend literally broke up with me the night right before my league finals, it gave me adrenaline. I never wanted to win so much in my life and I ended up swimming the best race of my life, but this season I'll be better ;)

It's interesting the difference between our psychological and physical capabilities. Even more-so when the opposite occurs in a 200 all-out death.

orca1946
January 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I would think her can find a replacement soon!

shannalee80
January 17th, 2012, 02:24 PM

I don't think his romantic life will affect what he does in London at all. I do think he won't win any golds besides his butterfly events and relays. Don't think he will win the 200 free and IM events. Not just because of Lochte but other swimmers as well.

Allen Stark
January 17th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think his romantic life will affect what he does in London at all. I do think he won't win any golds besides his butterfly events and relays. Don't think he will win the 200 free and IM events. Not just because of Lochte but other swimmers as well.

Lets say he "only" wins the 2 flys and the US "only" wins 2 men's relays.That would still give him 4 golds and probably 7 medals total.That would be still one of the best Olympic performances of all time.

nhc
January 18th, 2012, 01:17 AM
You guys seem to care about his breakup more than he himself does. :cool:

MickYoung
January 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
You guys seem to care about his breakup more than he himself does. :cool:

We're interested in leftovers :)