PDA

View Full Version : Tips for maintaining conditioning with broken toe

SaltySwimmer
January 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I have broken my big toe. This really stinks, as I was on a bit of a roll with my training and feeling great with my progress. Doctor says I will need to wear a boot (no crutches, thankfully) for 4 weeks. In the meantime, no swimming or any other activity that could put pressure or "flex" the toe as it heals. He did say I could use a stationary bike (with the boot, of course), as long as I push down on the pedals with the back of the foot/heel and not the front of the foot.

Question is, what type of exercises would be recommended to maintain conditioning in my upper body? I plan to do lots of core work as well. Not sure what else I can do.

Also, how much, realistically, will I be deconditioned when I return to the pool? Will I have to start over completely to get back to where I was previously with my swimming? I was hoping to do a zones meet in March, but it doesn't look like this will be happening.

I'm not going to enjoy this AT ALL. It's really hard for me to sit around not doing anything.
:badday:

renie
January 9th, 2012, 06:05 PM
saltyswimmer, I broke my toes a few times. I just taped the toe (with good duct tape) to the toe next to it. I use fins during part of my workout, so I'd use one fin on the good foot, and no fin on the broken toe foot. I'm not a doctor, and I'm not in any way telling you to go ahead and swim with the broken toe. My first broken toe was on the baby toe, and the second break was dx'd as a "broken foot, but I believe it was also the baby toe. I swam. But I'm a little crazy. I swam 3 weeks after having my gallbladder and appendix removed at the same time. I was able to use all the cardio equipment - bike, eliptical, walked. If you don't want to swim, there's plenty you can still do. Hang in there.

PatrickJM
January 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Get a few different variations of Stretch Cords (there's a few makes and I'm not suggesting one over another). Emulate your stroke with the resistance tubes and you'll be using the same muscle groups as swimming. I even use them for recovery stroke resistance. You need to stay consistent but I think you'll notice the arm strength. Certain versions also have leg/ankle straps for dry-land kicking work. Get Well Soon.

ande
January 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
salty,

bummer, we're going to miss you
why can't you swim?
don't push off with your broken toe foot
use the ladder to get out of the pool

If you must stay out of the pool

do bands / stretch cords
Tip 246 BANDS / Stretch Cords / Power Cords

lift weights

How'd you break your toe?

orca1946
January 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Arm workouts can do plenty for you.
Wear an old running shoe on that foot & do not push off on that toe.

SaltySwimmer
January 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
salty,

bummer, we're going to miss you
why can't you swim?
don't push off with your broken toe foot
use the ladder to get out of the pool

If you must stay out of the pool

do bands / stretch cords
Tip 246 BANDS / Stretch Cords / Power Cords (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=171194&postcount=1084)

lift weights

How'd you break your toe?

Thanks, Ande, and everyone else for the tips. I will try these options. I do think I'll be tempted to get back into the pool sooner than 4 weeks-- I might even just try to stay off of it for one week and then see how weightbearing feels. In the meantime, cords, weights, stationary bike, and lots of core work. I'm glad I still have my gym membership.

As for how I broke it, I am simply a klutz. Tripped over a suitcase laying on my floor in the middle of the night and before I knew it I was on the floor. Still not sure exactly how it broke, but somehow it was hyperextended because the break is along the top of the big toe, just above the joint that meets the foot.

Stevepowell
January 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Any tips on buddy taping a broken little toe?

It keeps falling off when swimming.

Thanks in Advance.

2fish&1whale
January 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Salty-broke the 3 middle toes a few years ago,discovered the recumbent bike-wore one sneaker and a flip flop on the busted foot.Try a rowing machine for upperbody and see if you can rig the foot rest to allow for the boot to fit.