PDA

View Full Version : Member participation rate

gdanner
January 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I compiled the list of members who competed in my LMSC meets for 2011, removed the duplicates, non-members, and non-Niagara members. We had approximately 170 out of 510 members compete in meets last year, which comes out to 33%. There could be some exceptions which I didn't pick up, such as members who only competed outside of the LMSC.

I am curious as to how this fits with the national picture and if anyone else is tracking this for their LMSC.

No idea if this rate is good or bad, but I am not surprised there are many just in it for the fitness.

That Guy
January 10th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I compiled the list of members who competed in my LMSC meets for 2011, removed the duplicates, non-members, and non-Niagara members. We had approximately 170 out of 510 members compete in meets last year, which comes out to 33%. There could be some exceptions which I didn't pick up, such as members who only competed outside of the LMSC.

I am curious as to how this fits with the national picture and if anyone else is tracking this for their LMSC.

No idea if this rate is good or bad, but I am not surprised there are many just in it for the fitness.

Is the 33% just for pool meets, or are open water events included?

ALM
January 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM
The national numbers can be viewed here:

Go to www.usms.org
Mouse over the blue "Competition" tab
Select "Event Results & Rankings"

You will see a table of statistics. For 2011:

There are 424 meets with results in the database
There were 16,034 unique USMS member participants in those meets

We had a total of 56,158 members in 2011.

So 16,034/56,158 = 28.6% of our members competed in a pool meet in 2011.

debaru
January 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Go to www.usms.org

That's so great to see. When I first joined Masters I had "heard" that only 10% of the membership competed. But, as you've shown, this clearly isn't the case. :applaud:

gdanner
January 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Is the 33% just for pool meets, or are open water events included?

Also an area I missed. We usually have just one sanctioned OW event in our LMSC each year, so it could be a little higher.

smontanaro
January 10th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Did you count the postal championships?

S

Chris Stevenson
January 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Also an area I missed. We usually have just one sanctioned OW event in our LMSC each year, so it could be a little higher.

It could be a decent bit higher. While there are obviously overlaps -- people who compete in both pool and OW events -- there are quite a number of people who compete in only one or the other.

If you look at our monthly LMSC registrations, other than Nov/Dec our biggest registration months are June and July, the months we have two sanctioned OW events.

I was able to crunch some numbers for our LMSC: 25% of our membership participated in pool meets sanctioned in our LMSC; including OW events bumped it up to 36%. And both OW races allowed one-event registration (which weren't counted, of course).

That Guy
January 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM

Go to www.usms.org

check out the numbers for 2012. 1 meet, 167 total meet participants, 107 unique USMS member participants. who were the other 60 people? USAS kids, Canadian Masters swimmers, or... ummmm ... the timers and officials? :dunno:

That Guy
January 10th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Another question about that page. For whatever reason, I remember that the number of splits recorded was over 3 million last month. Now it's 2.9 million. Did some meets disappear, or do splits simply expire at some point?

Chris Stevenson
January 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM
check out the numbers for 2012. 1 meet, 167 total meet participants, 107 unique USMS member participants. who were the other 60 people? USAS kids, Canadian Masters swimmers, or... ummmm ... the timers and officials? :dunno:

I am not sure if this is a serious question or not, but if you are curious...I bet what happened is that many people registered at the meet and their membership just hasn't been confirmed at this point. Swimmers who register at meets often fill out paper forms and it takes a little while to process those.

Or possibly the USMS IDs weren't included in the meet entries so it takes longer to look up the members in the registration database.

When I have to upload results, I work with our Registrar -- and the Registrars of other LMSCs, if necessary -- to confirm that swimmer X registered at the meet.

Already the numbers have changed: as of this morning it was 119 members and 48 "unconfirmed" swimmers.

That Guy
January 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I am not sure if this is a serious question or not, but if you are curious...I bet what happened is that many people registered at the meet and their membership just hasn't been confirmed at this point. Swimmers who register at meets often fill out paper forms and it takes a little while to process those.

Or possibly the USMS IDs weren't included in the meet entries so it takes longer to look up the members in the registration database.

When I have to upload results, I work with our Registrar -- and the Registrars of other LMSCs, if necessary -- to confirm that swimmer X registered at the meet.

Already the numbers have changed: as of this morning it was 119 members and 48 "unconfirmed" swimmers.
Thanks! It was a serious question... about something minor that has absolutely no effect on me as a swimmer even if the answer had been something sinister :D

KatieK
January 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Also, a lot of triathletes join Masters teams for the workouts but don't ever compete in a USMS-sanctioned event.

Frank Thompson
January 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
In 2011, the Michigan LMSC had registered 804 swimmers. Of those 804 swimmers, 516 swam in either pool meets, open water events, and postal National Championships That is a 64% participation rate and that has to be one of the largest in the country.

We offer 14 local pool meets a year plus an LMSC State Championship Meet. in the last 10 years that meet has gotten in a range of 47 to 52% of our USMS registered swimmers at the time of the meet.

One of the reasons for this high participation rate is that our LMSC does not offer "One Day Registration" for Pool meets and only allows "One Day Registration" for Open Water Events.

ALM
January 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM

I am the person who uploaded this meet. Those numbers will change. The problem is that the meet directors did not include the USMS numbers or the official USMS clubs for any of the meet participants, so our meet upload tools could not "locate" those swimmers in our database. I have to go through them manually, one swimmer at a time, to find them. Going through 60 names one at a time takes a while.

This is why it is important for meet directors to collect a USMS number from each participant, and enter it into the "registration number" field in the Hy-Tek Meet Manager software (or EasyMeet, or whatever software they use).

Chris Stevenson
January 11th, 2012, 02:31 PM
One of the reasons for this high participation rate is that our LMSC does not offer "One Day Registration" for Pool meets and only allows "One Day Registration" for Open Water Events.

We also do not offer one-event registration for pool events and we don't get nearly 64% participation.

Perhaps in Michigan there just isn't much else to do? :) :bolt:

We do, however, offer one-events for OW races and even so we get huge bump in annual registrations and in participation.

That Guy
January 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I am the person who uploaded this meet. Those numbers will change. The problem is that the meet directors did not include the USMS numbers or the official USMS clubs for any of the meet participants, so our meet upload tools could not "locate" those swimmers in our database. I have to go through them manually, one swimmer at a time, to find them. Going through 60 names one at a time takes a while.

This is why it is important for meet directors to collect a USMS number from each participant, and enter it into the "registration number" field in the Hy-Tek Meet Manager software (or EasyMeet, or whatever software they use).

Thanks for the info! And for all the hard work behind the scenes on stuff like this. :applaud:

Frank Thompson
January 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
In 2011, the Michigan LMSC had registered 804 swimmers. Of those 804 swimmers, 516 swam in either pool meets, open water events, and postal National Championships That is a 64% participation rate and that has to be one of the largest in the country.

We offer 14 local pool meets a year plus an LMSC State Championship Meet. in the last 10 years that meet has gotten in a range of 47 to 52% of our USMS registered swimmers at the time of the meet.

This 64% also includes swimmers that are in the "Go for the Distance Program" and I included that because its a USMS pool participation event and you have to be USMS registered to participate.

Chris Stevenson
January 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM
This 64% also includes swimmers that are in the "Go for the Distance Program" and I included that because its a USMS pool participation event and you have to be USMS registered to participate.

Oh, I see. I only included participation in pool meets or OW races sanctioned in our LMSC, no postal events or GTD.

We did increase from 55 (2010) to 76 (2011, +38%) swimmers in GTD; the LMSC mileage increased even more (+54%). Maybe VA is just as boring as Michigan... :)

erica_k_b3
January 24th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Go to www.usms.org

I'm in the process of writing my thesis on competitive swimming injuries and would love to include the USMS membership rates for 2011. Where did you find this, or where can I find it? Any help you can offer would be great! Thanks.

ALM
January 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm in the process of writing my thesis on competitive swimming injuries and would love to include the USMS membership rates for 2011. Where did you find this, or where can I find it? Any help you can offer would be great! Thanks.

Erica,

I am the USMS Membership Director. You can contact me at AnnaLea (at) usms (dot) org. You can find our overall membership rate for each year in this document:

http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/gto_num_of_members.pdf

orca1946
January 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Our team swims about 40% of members at meets. So I guess we are doing better than average!:applaud:

erica_k_b3
January 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you so much! This is great!