PDA

View Full Version : regeneration

dolu
January 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM
hi there,
what do you do to regenerate faster after hard workout? besides nutrition, do you go to sauna, take massages, do streching,...?
i am 39 this year, male sprinter and experience heavy muscles soreness almost after every workout in the gym during winter. I do not experience this in sommer. At least not to that extent. I practice regurarly (4x pool, 2x gym) so i do not know what is the problem. Can the heat in sommer fasten the regeneration process?

thanks

orca1946
January 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Maybe less per lift & more reps??

swimshark
January 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The only thing I do is take in some protein right after the workout. The other day I did get in the whirlpool but it didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

EdC
January 18th, 2012, 07:23 PM
try some cherry juice. Found at most health stores

Celestial
January 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I imagine your muscle soreness is the result of rapid temperature changes, which does not allow you to cool down at a slow enough rate. It could also be a coincidence - you might be working out harder this winter than last year, in which case, you might want to rub some Icy Hot or Biofreeze into your typically sore areas right after your shower (after your swim). And make sure you stay well hydrated. People forget that they sweat in the winter too (and in the water).

Sojerz
January 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
This provides what seems to be a good basic understanding of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) on WebMd. I'm also a bit stiff in the pool the next day and take longer to warm up. I'm going to try a longer cool-down after weight work to see if that helps the soreness. I'm also less prone to DOMS now that I'm in somewhat better shape.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/sore-muscles-keep-exercising

jswim
January 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM
From the Webmd article..

"however, several remedies such as ice, rest, anti-inflammatory medication, massage, heat, and stretch have been reported as helpful in the process of recovery."

I'm in the same boat with lots of muscle soreness though I've ramped up my workouts over the last month or two and began strength training.

I've noticed that when I go into the sauna after a workout and stretch, I feel less sore the next couple of days, but then again it may be that those particular days I did not do as hard a workout. I haven't kept close enough tabs on all the variable changes!

Good luck, and as Celistial said hydration is also key! Many times I find I don't drink as much during the colder months so I've begun drinking my water warm so I don't feel cold afterwards!

cheers,
J