PDA

View Full Version : Entry times off...?

Papaya24
January 19th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new here, and relatively new to swimming as well (just joined a swim club/team this year, and I just turned 21). My first meet's coming up this weekend, and I'm excited/nervous for it, but my main question is regarding entry times for the meet...

Here's what I signed up with:
100 free - 1:20
50 free - :40
50 breast - :44

I didn't realize that the meet's going to be in a meter pool, instead of the yard pool that I'm used to. The times were mostly estimates, and I tried it out a few days ago just to double check, and I got :36 for the 50 free, and :40 for the 50 breast, which should be fine in the meter pool, I think, but my 100 free was exactly 1:20 when I tried it in the yard pool, which comes out to be more like 1:30 in a meter pool (according to an online conversion thing)...

So I'm just wondering - should I be really worried about that 100 free time? What should I do? I don't really know much about how meets work, but I don't want to be that one rude person ruining the heat for everybody else somehow. I feel like I'm gonna embarrass myself somehow, lol.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to find an answer with the search feature, but I didn't see anything really relevant.

That Guy
January 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new here, and relatively new to swimming as well (just joined a swim club/team this year, and I just turned 21). My first meet's coming up this weekend, and I'm excited/nervous for it, but my main question is regarding entry times for the meet...

I didn't realize that the meet's going to be in a meter pool, instead of the yard pool that I'm used to. The times were mostly estimates, and I tried it out a few days ago just to double check, and I got :36 for the 50 free, and :40 for the 50 breast, which should be fine in the meter pool, I think, but my 100 free was exactly 1:20 when I tried it in the yard pool, which comes out to be more like 1:30 in a meter pool (according to an online conversion thing)...

So I'm just wondering - should I be really worried about that 100 free time? What should I do? I don't really know much about how meets work, but I don't want to be that one rude person ruining the heat for everybody else somehow. I feel like I'm gonna embarrass myself somehow, lol.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to find an answer with the search feature, but I didn't see anything really relevant.

Don't worry about it. Swim fast and have fun. If you're talking about the Anacortes meet on Sunday, I will be there too! I will be easy for you to spot - multiple forumites can confirm that I look exactly like my avatar.

jaadams1
January 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Don't worry about it. Swim fast and have fun. If you're talking about the Anacortes meet on Sunday, I will be there too! I will be easy for you to spot - multiple forumites can confirm that I look exactly like my avatar.

Yes...he does have a big head! :bolt:

That Guy
January 19th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Yes...he does have a big head! :bolt:

It's no laughing matter, I'm afraid. I have to be very careful at kids' birthday parties. They swing bats at me, expecting candy to come out.

http://youtu.be/yYKHek8Z7zk
http://youtu.be/qRmLGYSc0XQ

Papaya24
January 19th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Yup, it's the Anacortes meet. =] See ya there, and thanks for your response.

philoswimmer
January 19th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Don't worry about it. Swim fast and have fun.

I agree with this. No one will bat an eye. Happens all the time. And I bet you surprise yourself and beat your 1:30 estimate.

Karl_S
January 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
...Here's what I signed up with:

I didn't realize that the meet's going to be in a meter pool, instead of the yard pool that I'm used to. ...

I don't want to be that one rude person ruining the heat for everybody else somehow. I feel like I'm gonna embarrass myself somehow, lol.

Those estimates will be just fine. They are at least in the right ballpark. I've seen some really ridiculous mis-matches between entry time and final time. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself. People will be worrying about their own swims, not yours. Most importantly, do not change your race strategy because you find yourself in a heat of faster (or slower) swimmers than you expected. You can have a really horrible race trying to swim someone else's race. This is especially true on the 100. The 50s may be pretty much full blast the entire way, but for the 100 there is some pacing/energy-management/strategy and you can really kill your race trying to match pace with much faster (or slower) swimmers on the first length. Swim your own race.

Just the fact that you have thought this carefully about your times and done some practice tests suggests that you are mentally ready for your first meet. Have fun!

knelson
January 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Email or call the meet director and let him or her know. It's not a big deal, but they may easily be able to change your seed time.

orca1946
January 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
On any given meet, your times will change. Have fun & enjoy the race & whatever time you swim. Yes, you can call the meet & tell them you better guess time. Remember my motto. " There are only 3 things to think about in any swim - YOU- THE WATER - THE CLOCK"

rxleakem
January 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
This past year was my first year competing again - taking a guess with your times is all you can do. Then go out and swim faster! :)

nkfrench
January 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM
If you can do those times in yards during practices, you can probably do them in short-course meters under race conditions.

In the heats you'll be seeded into, there will probably be plenty of others who are estimating seed times. Swim your own race!

Fresnoid
January 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM

If you did a 1:20 in practice, you'll go a LOT faster in a meet. You'll have no problem getting close to that with your meters race.