PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly help

adrianandcielo
January 31st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Race stratergy for the 100 yard butterfly... If i go 24.49 for a 50 what should my first 50 and last 50 be ? My coach says my first 50 should be swam at 'easy speed..How do you swim fly at 'easy speed'?

In addition to that . I heard that there is a glide phase in the 100 fly but i dont understand how to do it or what it is.

Couroboros
January 31st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Glide phase in the 100 fly? Are you sure that's about the butterfly stroke? That sounds like it's about the breaststroke. In breaststroke, I think you're supposed to "ride the glide" provided by a good kick. That could be the glide phase you heard about.

I have heard/read about needing easy speed on the first 50 of a 100 fly. After my 100 fly race last weekend, I think that's definitely true. On Sunday, I tried taking my race out real hard on the first 50 (harder than I usually do it, anyway), and even though I got an in-season best, I absolutely died on the last 40 yards. If I just used my usual strategy (incl. easy speed on the first 50), my time probably could have been faster.

"Easy speed" to me means you're going fast, because you're so rested and pumped up it's kind of hard not to be going fast, but you're simply not pouring on the coals and going hard.

adrianandcielo
January 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
When i mean glide phase i mean by the way your arm enters the water... Before i used to have my palms face straight down on the recovery and i was told that i am not letting my arms glide through the water .. Therefore i decided to change the way my palm enter the water sort of tilted to each side

Couroboros
January 31st, 2012, 09:07 PM
Err... now I'm confused, too! I've only been swimming three years, but I'm aghast at the thought of doing butterfly like the visual you just put in my head. I'm not sure that's right at all. :afraid:

Can someone with more experience help us, please?! :D

edit: okay, I'm visualizing it some more, and I think the insight about palms not being flat on entering the water is exactly right. I think. There has to be a tilt, with thumbs entering first. And then the palms flatten out after they've entered the water?

adrianandcielo
January 31st, 2012, 09:10 PM
When i mean glide phase i mean by the way your arm enters the water... Before i used to have my palms face straight down on the recovery and i was told that i am not letting my arms glide through the water .. Therefore i decided to change the way my palm enter the water sort of tilted to each side

adrianandcielo
January 31st, 2012, 09:14 PM
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=65W0T86Onmw

Heres a perfect example of palma entering the water

Jazz Hands
January 31st, 2012, 10:35 PM
You have started a new thread every two weeks asking the same questions over and over again. Just make one thread and people will help you. We'll be able to see what you've asked previously and what you've been working on.

That Guy
January 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM
You have started a new thread every two weeks asking the same questions over and over again. Just make one thread and people will help you. We'll be able to see what you've asked previously and what you've been working on.

Jazz is 100% correct. I was going to respond earlier but then I thought, "wait, this again?"

SolarEnergy
February 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM
There shouldn't be any passive glide phase when swimming the Fly, no matter the distance that has to be covered.

What could somehow lead to believe that there's one is the fact that the upper body *may* travel down (uppon arms entry) faster than the speed at which the hands travel. One of the most viewed fly technique clip shows this very clearly.

That said, if you don't have the shoulder flexibility to support this, then your hands should likely sink at the same speed as your upper body.

Michael Phelps - Butterfly 01 - YouTube

One thing remains sure, based on this clip, no matter the speed at which your hands are sinking, they certainly move downward. They won't remain still, not even a fraction of a second as this would impair your ability to increase the stroke rate.

It's as simple as that.