PDA

View Full Version : New Swimmer needs a little direction...

timistim
February 1st, 2012, 04:10 PM
I am 31 and just recently took a few swim lessons to learn how to swim freestyle and breast stroke properly. I am taking a break from the lessons for a few because I want to build up some endurance so when I take lessons again I can get more out of them.

My question is can anyone help point me in the direction of getting a few beginner workouts for swimming that will be helpful for someone who has been swimming for maybe 2 months now? I am really looking to put together some sort of plan for the next few months to improve endurance, speed and form. I can get to a lap pool pretty easy 6 days a week if needed, however I can't be there for much longer than an hour at a time. I would like to keep the workouts down to 30 minutes at a time if I can. Any advice anyone can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

Swimosaur
February 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
... can anyone help point me in the direction of getting a few beginner workouts for swimming ...

In the "Workouts" area of this site, there is a section called Basic Training for the New Swimmer - by Laura Schuster It sounds like just what you're looking for! Laura goes out of her way to emphasize and reinforce good technique, and includes links to videos of the suggested drills.

I think you have to be a USMS member to access that section of the web site. If you're not already a USMS member, join us! (http://www.usms.org/reg/)

Resistance is futile ... you will be assimilated ...

slow
February 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
Swimosaur gave a good answer. There is also a woman in the USMS members section named Betsy (not sure of last name) who posts One Hour Workouts and I think she does a good job.

Also consider reading "Fitness Swimming" by Hines. It will be in many public libraries or you can get it for $0.01 (plus shipping) at Amazon. The Hines book has a series of workouts, starting at basic and building up gradually.