PDA

View Full Version : When do you switch to a new pair of goggles?

nhc
February 14th, 2012, 01:34 AM
If you have used the same pair of goggles for a long time (maybe even years), what eventually makes you dump it and get a new pair (could be the same model)? I have a pair that I expected to last at least a year, but the lenses have had so many scratches after just 3 months that I can't even see clearly. I can't think of how it got scratched except I always wiped it with tissues after swimming (it's kept in a plastic case). It's not dirt but clearly scratches. In the past I was done with a pair only when it started leaking. I'm curious if blurred lenses due to scratches are common?

(The poll question is:

"I use the same goggles that work for me for as long as I can until"

--for some reason the "until" didn't appear)

rxleakem
February 14th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I have a pair of clear and smoked optical goggles (it's so amazing to be able to see while swimming again!) that are holding up except for the anti-fog. I will probably get a new pair closer to the summertime for OW swimming, so I don't have to keep stopping to get rid of the haze.

knelson
February 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Has anyone actually had a silicone strap fail? Back when the straps were rubber they'd wear out pretty quickly (certainly before the eyepieces), but the modern straps seem pretty much indestructible. I used Vanquishers now and the seal never fails, either. Basically I replace them when I just can't see out of them anymore.

That Guy
February 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I guess it's been a while since I've had a goggle strap fail. It does stretch out though. I have had the nosepiece break a few times. Usually though, I have to replace goggles because of leakage.

chowmi
February 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Has anyone actually had a silicone strap fail? Back when the straps were rubber they'd wear out pretty quickly (certainly before the eyepieces), but the modern straps seem pretty much indestructible. I used Vanquishers now and the seal never fails, either. Basically I replace them when I just can't see out of them anymore.

I had one pair of vanquisher straps fail. Then it was a shorty strap and nearly popped my head off to wear it, so it is now at the bottom of my kid's unworn goggle bin, awaiting to be re-paired with a vanquisher strap once one of the goggle pieces fail from another pair.

Swimoutlet has the original vanquishers for about $10 and the 2.0's for about $13 so I ordered 4 pairs. But it seems that is the price they always are online. If you order 3 x 2.0's you get free shipping.

jaadams1
February 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I use the original swedes for my goggles, with a bungie strap. They're pretty much indestructable, and I use the same one day/night/practice/competition (maybe tighten the strap a little for the race).

For $2.95 you can't beat 'em.

Debugger
February 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I use the original swedes for my goggles, with a bungie strap. They're pretty much indestructable, and I use the same one day/night/practice/competition (maybe tighten the strap a little for the race).

Same choice though for competition I prefer my Arena Tracks Mirror bcz I know for 100% that they won't jump off my face or leak during dive, original swedes sometimes do leak.

Lui
February 14th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Me too.
I still use the same swedes I had more than 10 years ago and recently put bungee straps on them. I have several pair but all are old. They willl probably still be usable when I'm long gone:D

Btw, I voted other because I would only get a new one if I would lose my 4-5 pair of swedes.

swimslick
February 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I also use swedes and I *just* discovered the wonders of the bungee strap. The white strap broke recently on a pair of mine, but luckily it came with a bungee as well (Sporti brand) so I gave it a whirl and I'm impressed! Now I want to buy all the different colored bungees and mix n match lol. If only the lenses came in more colors too. Heck, even the nose piece should come in more colors! If one could competely customize the colors of the strap, lens, and nosepiece on a pair of swedes you'd think they'd sell like hotcakes.

I also chose "other" for the poll because when the strap on my swedes did break, I would just replace it. And if my nose string piece broke I'd just replace that too (I've found that dental floss makes a good replacement). Otherwise I just change them up when I'm bored, or need to use mirrored ones for outdoor swims. Swedes FTW! I think they'd survive the apocalypse along with cockroaches and twinkies.

aztimm
February 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
My goggle straps fail mostly in summer here. This is primarily from leaving my swimming bag in my car while I'm at work, and the heat just melts them (you don't want to think of what happens to bar soap or stick deodorant). I can sometimes use the same goggles from October to April, then I'll go through 2-3 pairs from May to September.

I wear TYR Racetech goggles. Clear or colored for inside/darker months, and mirrored in the summer. The straps for the mirrored are a little better than normal, but they've still snapped on me. The heat even breaks down the plastic clips that hold the straps in place.

goinglong
February 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM

+1
I replace mine when they get scratched. I am not a fan of the bungee strap, though.

aquageek
February 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM
The only way they will take my Swedes is from my cold dead hands.

jaadams1
February 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM
The only way they will take my Swedes is from my cold dead hands.

Maybe that's what the old guy teammate of mine is meaning when he says he's going to take me to the deep end to teach me how to breathe underwater. :dunno: :drown:

marksman
February 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM
i used to be a swede fan but now I like the goggles with the silicone gaskets. Haven't had leak issues. They are tyr, and the side visibility is pretty good too. The only drawback to silicone is that even a touch of sunscreen or lotion will leave you with a useless pair of goggles in a few weeks as the gaskets get destroyed.

nhc
February 15th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks for taking the poll. Looks like quite many of you also had scratched/smeared lens problem. I just feel it's a shame because it still has perfect seal. Maybe I'll try swimming without looking :D

philoswimmer
February 15th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I would think that tissue could definitely scratch the lens. A cotton cloth (t-shirt, for example) would be better.

I switch when goggles are scratched or leak. Don't know who would switch just because of a strap.

swimshark
February 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I took out a brand new pair of Vanquishers and attempted to adjust it. I had the straps out of the clip and was pulling gently when it broke. BRAND NEW! Speedo is not on my happy list right now.

KEWebb18
February 15th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I took out a brand new pair of Vanquishers and attempted to adjust it. I had the straps out of the clip and was pulling gently when it broke. BRAND NEW! Speedo is not on my happy list right now.

The same exact thing happened to my past 2 pairs of vanquishers. I can't bring myself to find another style though, I really love them. I tried the sporti brand but wasn't a big fan of them.

I replace mine when the lenses are too scratched to see clearly.

2fish&1whale
February 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I've been using the same style Speedo GCG goggles for about 2 years-I love the neoprene seal as it doesn't irritate the area aound my eyes as much as silicone.However,the last pair I bought had fog issues within a week of wearing them.The inside of the lens seems to have a residue on it that I can't remove-even with cleaners.Wonder if they altered their anti fog coating.
Hate to chuck goggles after less then a month.

jethro
February 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I've been using the same style Speedo GCG goggles for about 2 years-I love the neoprene seal as it doesn't irritate the area aound my eyes as much as silicone.However,the last pair I bought had fog issues within a week of wearing them.The inside of the lens seems to have a residue on it that I can't remove-even with cleaners.Wonder if they altered their anti fog coating.
Hate to chuck goggles after less then a month.

I've been using those goggles for less than a week now with the same problem. I only got them because my usual pair (Speedo Speed Socket) broke the evening before a meet and I needed something ASAP with only limited choices available locally. I don't believe I've ever had a pair fog as badly as these GCGs do. The minute I get a suitable replacement I'm tossing them.

knelson
February 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM

The strap broke or the clip broke?

orca1946
February 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I swim with my contacts so if it leaks my lens come off inside & I'm swimming nearly blind!:cane: