PDA

View Full Version : Taper/Swim Meet Problem

adrianandcielo
February 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
for the past two weeks my swim club has been tapering for an important meet this saturday 2/18.. today (2/16) was suppose to be the last day of tapering for the meet. However my parents said they were too "tired" to take us. now i am getting scared because that was suppose to be the last taper practice for the meet and now that i missed it im afraid i wont perform at the speed i shouldve if i had went to practice today for saturday

Will I perform well at the swim meet still?
Will my performance be affected by missing practice today?

Calvin S
February 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
for the past two weeks my swim club has been tapering for an important meet this saturday 2/18.. today (2/16) was suppose to be the last day of tapering for the meet. However my parents said they were too "tired" to take us. now i am getting scared because that was suppose to be the last taper practice for the meet and now that i missed it im afraid i wont perform at the speed i shouldve if i had went to practice today for saturday

I am guessing you don't have practice tomorrow then? Do a small bit of exercise to keep the muscles moving perhaps, but otherwise, the extra rest won't necessarily hurt. If you have access to a pool on your own time, maybe (MAYBE) paddle around some tomorrow. Big thing is not to stress it.

gobears
February 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM
One thing I wish I could go back and do over as a young swimmer is to not be so danged superstitious about everything. adrianandcielo, if you've trained hard and you are mentally ready to go (and you don't get freaked out by a minor thing like missing one practice) you'll do fine. There is no one perfect formula for a taper. You haven't screwed anything up. Your body is as ready to go today as it was yesterday. Get out there and race. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Now, have a great meet!!!:applaud:

ElaineK
February 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM

If you believe you will perform well, you have a much better chance of doing so! Don't allow yourself to believe otherwise. Look at it in a positive way: Missing practice allowed your muscles to recover and allowed your body to rest for the meet. Once you get in and warm up, you will be fine.

Believe in yourself and your abilities, and be confident your training will pay off in your races. One day won't make any difference!

Good luck!!
:cheerleader:

Karl_S
February 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM

IMO, the extra day off won't hurt a thing. A taper doesn't peak at a single instant, it's more like a condition that lasts a period of several days or even a few weeks. Think of it like this, if you have a 3 day meet you taper to be ready for the meet, then ride that taper for the 3 days of the meet. If missing the last practice did anything at all, it made your meet day like the second day of a multi-day meet. Like Ande says, just don't do stupid stuff with your boundless energy on the day before the meet and you will be fine. Good luck!

knelson
February 17th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Being nervous that you're going to blow your taper is a normal part of tapering. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine!

rxleakem
February 20th, 2012, 11:21 PM
So, how did the meet go? Did you preform well?